Sport Bikes banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes, I'm long winded.

My buddy Spencer just picked up a '98 YZF-600R from a mutual aquaintence of ours (Matt).
The bike JUST came out of the shop after having $2800 worth of repairs performed (always expensive at the stealership). An idiot was drunk and stole the bike from Matt while at a party Matt's daugher was throwing. Needless to say he wrecked it and his parents paid all damages to avoid the kid getting a record.

Spencer decided to buy the bike from Matt for $3000 - payments over 4 months, no interest - otherwise I'd say hell no to $3000 for that bike.

I went to the dealer to get the bike with him. I should have rode it first - I wouldn't have let it leave the parking lot!
There are NO BACK BRAKES LEFT - the pads are so gone its wearing away at the metal plates - and obviously the rotor is trash (we talked Matt into covering this and I ordered those for him and will change them this week).
We got the bike back to his place and I proceded to adjust the clutch (the friction zone was a 1/4" from the grip!), idle, chain tension + clean + lube, etc.

Spencer rode it around a bit to get a feel for the bike and a noise in the front end proceeded to get worse.
I put the bike on stands and attempted to pull the front wheel. It took 45 minutes to gently force the axle out of the now egg shaped wheel bearing.
The front wheel, both bearings, seal, etc are all brand new - not even 25 miles on them.
I pulled a parts diagram online and compared it to the wheel assembly - sure enough, THERE IS NO SPACER BETWEEN THE BEARINGS. The dealer tightened down the front axle and it was pushing the bearing in and forced one at an angle - hence the stuck axle.

Spencer took the wheel in today along with the factory diagram I gave him. The dealership gave a simple 'sorry for the inconvenience, we can order the parts and fix that for you'. Spencer was wise enough to talk them into a free mount and balance for both new tires he purchased elsewhere.

Attachments

·
Head Rooster
3,438 Posts
There's a legal term for this, negligence. If I were him I'd have been throwing it around and saying fixee or payee.

·
KH, Rest In Peace Brother
20,852 Posts
I woulda been pissed!!! Are they fixing everything with new parts?? I have a problem with "professionals" fucking up like that.

·
Resident Freak
1,637 Posts
I'm a little foggy this morning :cheers after a long night, but that first picture looks like something you'd see on a Grateful Dead t-shirt; that, or a picture of an 8-ball that's been photoshopped into "modern art"...

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
OFFICER737 said:
I woulda been pissed!!! Are they fixing everything with new parts?? I have a problem with "professionals" fucking up like that.
+1 Thats what they get paid to do. If I wanted an incompetent person to do a bullshit job on the bike I would have done it myself. :lao

·
Registered
179 Posts
Nothing worse than paying a dealership only to have them do a half-a** job. I had some work done at a place that normally is fantastic. This one time, though, they left the airbox loose on top of the carbs and failed to properly re-attach the throttle cable to the carb assembly, which meant that halfway home from the shop, I had an engine running way lean and a throttle with no cable tension. It was not confidence-inspiring...

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ASCI_Blue said:
There's a legal term for this, negligence. If I were him I'd have been throwing it around and saying fixee or payee.

They are making the repair for free (since there is NO ONE to blame but them) and their gonna do a free mount and balance of both new tires he ordered (there's more satisfaction to be had here because he saved $40 or $50 ordering the tires elsewhere too).

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OFFICER737 said:

Yeah, fixing everything with new parts.
That's what really baffled us about the screw up. Someone had to pull up a parts diagram to get part #s for ordering everything... they should have seen the spacer on the diagram.
The guy putting it together should also have noticed something missing considering his job is working on bikes, you'd think he knows what parts should be there.

I've always had good experience with their parts sales people and even their bike sales people though I ride a Honda and have no plans on buying a bike there any time soon.

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Drifter said:
I'm a little foggy this morning :cheers after a long night, but that first picture looks like something you'd see on a Grateful Dead t-shirt; that, or a picture of an 8-ball that's been photoshopped into "modern art"...

Sorry Drifter - that was the best pic I had - it was difficult to get good focus on the absence of the spacer in the middle of the wheel while shooting through a 3/4" hole. I was trying to get a clear view of the other side where you can tell the bearing has a smaller diameter than the wheel center - to illustrate where the spacer should be.

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
GixxerJRG said:
+1 Thats what they get paid to do. If I wanted an incompetent person to do a bullshit job on the bike I would have done it myself. :lao

There are very few tasks I won't tackle myself (as long as the one-time-use-special-tools wouldn't cost more than I'd pay to have it done).

In this case, since the dealer was already paid to do the work before my friend even took posession, we had every intention of holding them to it and calling them on their mistake.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts