Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Dude, where is my bike?
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats a good way to get a dealer to lower their price?

I never really did this and wanted to kno how u get it done lol

Is there a time of the year when bike price drops? ex. winter (ohio)

·
Go #214!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
2,390 Posts
Delta said:

Drop the bike you want on the showroom floor and quicky walk away...then come back the next day :twofinger

·
who......me????
293 Posts
i called about 8 different dealerships...got one to give me a low price on the previous yrs model, then called the dealership i usually buy from and told them what a good deal the other dealership was going to give me, just forgot to mention it was on an 03, htey matched the price on an 04 model! :twofinger :banned

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
My friends went into a dealership the other day and began talking with a salesman about the price of their 600's OTD and they $8,500 and no less. So my friends went on to tell the dealer how we know a dealership that sells their bikes for $7,300 OTD and delivered. They then asked would they go lower and the salesman starting spitting all this shit saying that dealer is taking money off of his table by selling bikes at so low of a price and he's going to put them out of business by giving everyone good deals.

It was pretty cool to hear a salesman lose it because people are buying from another dealer that isn't looking to rip people off.

·
who......me????
293 Posts
Delta said:
Will Prices drop in winter? (in the north where it snows)
here they don't....the dealership had an 01 RC51 sitting on the floor, still brand new, if i remember right they wanted 11000 for it...but i haven't been in their since April

·
retired from here
4,122 Posts
Delta said:

I never really did this and wanted to kno how u get it done lol

Is there a time of the year when bike price drops? ex. winter (ohio)
there are several things that go into getting a better price.

one is just how good of a month/year they are having. the slower sales and the more they have in inventory the more likely they are to work with you.

second is how hot the bike is. i would think that if you waned a 04 r1 just after they were released that talking the dealer down was a little harder.

third is how much you have bought from them in the past will also help. if you have bougt from them before they are more likely to deal more.

now none of these are set in stone but this is how i used to do it when i was running a dealership.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Also, be patient. Go in, get yourself qualified for x amount of dollars. Let the dealer put you on a couple bikes, then tell them your going to shop around a little bit to see if you can find a better deal. They'll call you the next day, with an "offer that won't last long", that's when you buy the bike.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I put my money together first, then call the 4 "local" dealerships. The last one was for my '02 SVS. I called, said I want one in Black or Silver, what's your BEST out the door price. I want your best price, because I'm calling 3 other dealerships after you and asking the same question.

And prices drop the first time it snows.

·
Dude, where is my bike?
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
alright cool, here is my situation

I want a Honda cbr600 rr or f4i, not sure which yet.. But my bro plans on gettin one too sometime this winter or next spring (he thinks the 04s will be cheaper by then).. So am i better off negotiating and gettin one before he does, or wait and try and get a double bike deal? He do is gettin a honda, so by saying "im bringing twice the business" i should get a considerable knock off.. I'll have to see how much it actually drops in winter to see if its better then or w/ the double package

·
who......me????
293 Posts
^^^ I tried that last year with ATV's, a buddy and i both bought the Rincon and i couldn't find a dealer to give us a deal on 2 of them :cry

·
Banned
1,003 Posts
Never under estimate the power of silence. People don't use it enough when negotiating with dealers/salesmen. Be sitting across his desk with papers ready, tell him you'll give him $x for the bike. He'll buck at it. Don't say another word unless he asks you a question. Look at the papers. Look at him. Look out the door at the bike. Look at the papers. Look back at the bike. Wait until he speaks again. He will lower his price. If he doesn't lower it to $x that you wanted, keep silent. If a minute goes by and he still hasn't said anything. Simply reitorate yourself.

"I'll give you $x for the bike."

Don't say, "I can only give you..." or "I can only afford..." or anything else than what you're WILLING to give them. Silence is a powerful tool with a salesman. They don't like it. Instinctively they'll worry you're having too much time to think about backing out...and will sweeten the deal before you say, "Nah, I changed my mind." and walk out. If the silence won't force their card, you have to be prepared to say, "I'll give you $x, final offer." and if they don't agree....

You need to immediately stand up from the table, extend your hand and say, "Ok, thanks for your time." You should note an instant look of dismay on their face. They won't shake your hand. They'll say something like, "Well, hey...hey, hold on a second. Let me see what I can do. Let me talk to my boss...", etc. etc. It will happen. Trust me on this. It's a gambling move. You can't bluff. You have to be prepared to walk away from the deal. You'll lose all bargining power if you don't. Keep in mind, there is always another dealer a hundred or so miles away...most likely. Or, you can always come back in a few days. The salesman may have reconsidered.

On my '03 F4i I bought last spring I had to do something very similar. In the end I still I had to stand up, reach out my hand, and indicate I was walking out the door. I just arrived there a little differently.

I sat down and I clearly indicated to the salesment I had no love of this process, no love of "dealing" with prices, barganing etc. I was a busy man and the last thing I wanted to do is sit in a dealership for an hour haggling on dollars. That being said, I told him I wanted to cut to the chase and have him give me his best deal he could make. I told him I only wanted one price. Don't shoot high, hoping I'll accept, give me the aboslutely lowest price he was willing to go. I told him if it was low enough, we'd have a deal.

He shot me a price that was obviously high with room to negoatate. He obviously didn't listen to me. I wrinkled my brow, smirked and shaked my head and said, "Uh, that's not even close to reasonable." Stood up, extended my hand.... He seemed very miffed, concerned. Said it was obvious the two of us had different figures in mind and he said, "I'll tell you what. Why don't you write down a number on a sheet of paper. I'll write down a number... and we'll reveal them at the same time and if we can meet on a price, great."

I said, "No, I don't think so. Write down the lowest price you're willing to go. Show it to me. If I like the number, we'll have a deal, if not, I'll go somewhere else."

He had a very "Ok...ok...ok..." attitude. Wrote down a number that was a little lower than his first, but still not acceptable. When he showed it to me I looked very angry. How is this possible?

"What?", he said.

I responded with, "I told you I didn't want to dick around with price negotiations and that I wanted your absolute bottom line right off the bat." I asked how it was possible he could lower his number if his FIRST number was supposed to be his lowest. I told him I didin't appreciate him wasting my time. I reminded him I had already told him I wouldn't spend my afternoon arguing price. I told him it was still an insulting figure and stood up again, extended my hand...

He was a little more upset this time. Still didn't shake my hand and told me to "Hold on" again and still wanted to deal. I kept my hand extended and told him he had wasted enough of my time and to either take my hand and extend me the common courtesy or I would just walk and forgo the pleasantry. It was then he asked what I had in mind for a price. He said he would "see what he could do."

I sat down. Placed an aggitated look on my face. Took a breath. Paused for effect. Threw out my price. (which, was reasonable on all accounts) He said, "Ok." - that he'd be right back, and walked out of his office.

Came back in about 3 minutes with a question. Some of you may have heard this question before:

"If we offer at this price, would you sign an agreement stating that you would indeed purchase at this price"?

If you're not familiar, it's a question dealers ask to make sure you accept what they offer and YOU won't want to negotiate further. And, a question that confirms that if they offer...you're buying. Today. They don't want you to say, "Ok, if you'll go THAT low...how about THIS?!?" ...and lower your deal.

I said yes. He slid the paper with the number and the other papers for me to sign. I signed. And, I got the bike I wanted at exactly the price I wanted.

The art of silent negotiation. Google for it. Study it. It will work for you.

·
Registered
87 Posts
don't drool when you see the bike you want, then set the price ask, if he says no then just walk away. If they can do the deal he will come back and talk to you, if not keep on looking.

·
Dude, where is my bike?
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
is it better to go to a b***** dealership or a smaller dealership?

that technique probably wouldnt work at the smaller dealership i was at (not even the size of my house), cuz the only guy that basically works there w/ prices is the owner, and he is one of those stubborn fat guys. He just had that real serious "im not a negotiator" look lol..he didnt seem to friendly, and he didnt seem to take me too seriously... i should of said i got cash gimme ur lowest price (which i when i get my bike i probably will, but i wont be gettin one til around dec-march anyways)

On the other hand b***** places have more inventory which probably means their prices are alot more flexible

But most places around me are small and dont have that massive cycle inventory that i'd like to see...they are all living room sized and have only so many..

the one dealership i went too had a ninja 600, and everythin else was 1000cc or higher
its hard to get a nice dealership.. looks like im gonna have to go for a drive.. do u kno any big cycle places in NE ohio with a alot of new and used inventory?

·
Registered
681 Posts
Delta said:
alright cool, here is my situation

I want a Honda cbr600 rr or f4i, not sure which yet.. But my bro plans on gettin one too sometime this winter or next spring (he thinks the 04s will be cheaper by then).. So am i better off negotiating and gettin one before he does, or wait and try and get a double bike deal? He do is gettin a honda, so by saying "im bringing twice the business" i should get a considerable knock off.. I'll have to see how much it actually drops in winter to see if its better then or w/ the double package
Ah HA! Another thick-headed newbie! RememberTHIS?

We told ya it was a bad idea......yet you still want that 600ss. :spank

BTW Wraith.....AWESOME dealer tactics! :headbang

·
Dude, where is my bike?
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
why is wantin a 600 so bad? I have 10yr dirt bike exp.
Its not like im completely incompetent and dont kno how to ride.

Im going to be careful and i trust my instincts, alot of people start off on 600s and are just fine. Plus i've ridden a street bike before and did perfectly well..

I've read countless posts of people who got 600s as their first street bike, where are u to go bother them lol

have a lil more faith, plus i dont feel like goin through the whole buyin and sellin of a 500, too much time

anyways i'll have the msf done before i get my bike and more time in on my cousins bike

·
Banned
1,003 Posts
taziscool said:
BTW Wraith.....AWESOME dealer tactics! :headbang
Thanks. It stems from an overpowering hatred of salesmen, rather, used-car-salesman mentalities. Anytime family or friends are looking to purchase a vehicle (car, motorcycle, boat, doesn't matter...) I ask if I can go and handle the negotiations. I love busting salesman balls. Love it. Contrary to what I tell the salesmen, I love negotiating with them. I love the game.

·
Dude, where is my bike?
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Delta said:
is it better to go to a b***** dealership or a smaller dealership?

that technique probably wouldnt work at the smaller dealership i was at (not even the size of my house), cuz the only guy that basically works there w/ prices is the owner, and he is one of those stubborn fat guys. He just had that real serious "im not a negotiator" look lol..he didnt seem to friendly, and he didnt seem to take me too seriously... i should of said i got cash gimme ur lowest price (which i when i get my bike i probably will, but i wont be gettin one til around dec-march anyways)

On the other hand b***** places have more inventory which probably means their prices are alot more flexible

But most places around me are small and dont have that massive cycle inventory that i'd like to see...they are all living room sized and have only so many..

the one dealership i went too had a ninja 600, and everythin else was 1000cc or higher
its hard to get a nice dealership.. looks like im gonna have to go for a drive.. do u kno any big cycle places in NE ohio with a alot of new and used inventory?
what u think wraith?

·
Banned
1,003 Posts
Smaller.

Big dealerships have bodies coming in/out the door all day long. They can afford to be more selective. They can afford to lose some deals because the NEXT guy is just a few moments behind the guy that just left empty handed.

The small guy needs the business. Vehicles on lots are very expensive assets to him. He has their value tied up in inventory. He has to insure them. He has to store them. Even if he can't make as much money off their sale as he'd like, he needs to get rid of it. The small guy always appreciates it if you inform him you specifically came there because you didn't want to go to a big dealership. Compliment his ego in ways that infer you support his fight against the big competition. He'll practically throw in his teenage daughter in the deal if you're sincere enough.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts