Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I go to a local Honda shop today to check out helmets.

The salesguy who is really nice and courteous shows me an RX7 going for 450....reason being a kid knocked over a bunch of helmets in their display rack.

Turns out the one I'm holding has some scuffs scratches near the top of the helmet...I'm assuming from being dropped.

Then the salesguy says it should be fine with some touch up paint.

I dunno...and what about the other helmets that could have spilled?

Are they selling those too?

·
Registered
142 Posts
Dunno about that one. How high up were the helmets? Lastly, If you have to ask yourself if you are going to trust that helmet, then walk away from it.

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
they're on a display rack a couple feet off the ground, some very low to the ground.

the guy said some kid knocked them all over.

·
Official SBN Party Pooper
20,262 Posts
Damn man, you're not having luck with helmets.

Was this south seas?

·
Official SBN Party Pooper
20,262 Posts
That's scary. I would think they wouldn't try and sell those. I mean a fall from 3ft or more can cause damage to a helmet. They are basically selling a defective helmet. Sure hope they reduced the price for them :lol

·
Combat Marshmellow
13,132 Posts
you got a 10cent head or damaged head then you buy a 10cent or damaged helmet...

:neener

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
Well don't forget that if there's no head in the helmet, the force when it falls is reduced alot. OTOH, that's still not a great price for it.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I was at south seas today. I didnt see any damaged helmets. All their Arais are zip tied to the display. The display must have fallen on top of them. That could do some damage. That seems like a lot of liability for the shop to sell damaged helmets.

·
You got that right.
10,228 Posts
Don't buy it. The helmets integrity is probably compromised. The owner's manuals always say something to the effect that if you think the helmet was dropped, replace it immediately. You could always sent it to the manufacturer for testing (at least Shoei provides that service), but you probably already know the answer.

·
Registered
598 Posts
MT Wallet said:
Turns out the one I'm holding has some scuffs scratches near the top of the helmet...I'm assuming from being dropped.
Wait a sec... are you saying the Arai RX7 Edwards replica you bought was most likely dropped and the dealer didn't tell you about it? :confused:

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
I wouldn't buy it w/o a letter from Arai saying it was okay to use. Arai checks out crashed helmets, I'm pretty sure all the dealer would have to pay is the shipping.

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Kastivich said:
I was at south seas today. I didnt see any damaged helmets. All their Arais are zip tied to the display. The display must have fallen on top of them. That could do some damage. That seems like a lot of liability for the shop to sell damaged helmets.
That's why they tied the helmets down because of that kid.

The damaged helmet the guy tried to sell me was taken from the back room.

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Scud said:
Wait a sec... are you saying the Arai RX7 Edwards replica you bought was most likely dropped and the dealer didn't tell you about it? :confused:
no no this is a totally different helmet the one that was dropped...I quickly decided I didn't want to do any business with that place after realizing they were selling damaged helmets.

my arai replica was from another store. this one was taken directly from a box and the guy showed it to me too before I bought it.

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
on a side note I have to say the salesguy was straightforward and honest about the damage and about what happened to the display rack.

He was just following orders I'm sure regarding selling that helmet.

·
Hardass!
8,085 Posts
I would never shop at a stealership (if that was the case)
Everytime I go into a dealership to drool, I always get the "Ron Burgandy" image in my mind.
They approach me and I say "I cant afford it, im just drooling right now" they walk away.
on a side note I have to say the salesguy was straightforward and honest about the damage and about what happened to the display rack.
Well he better be, they would hate for ideas to run around...oh say like a customer fell on his motorcycle and returned it cause it was too big.

·
Registered
377 Posts
MT Wallet said:
no no this is a totally different helmet the one that was dropped...I quickly decided I didn't want to do any business with that place after realizing they were selling damaged helmets.

my arai replica was from another store. this one was taken directly from a box and the guy showed it to me too before I bought it.
Where did you end up buying your helmet from?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts