Sport Bikes banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts
Like Mark said, I'm not going another year without riding. The bike is worth it to me and I won't be switching bikes every year.
Is this your first bike? Just learning to ride?

Discussion starter · #24 ·
Yeah, I am just learning to ride and it is my first bike. To be honest, you might be right about out growing it. But right now I can't understand why I would need to go faster than 100mphs on two wheels. Yes, my " Man-pride " does get to me every time I talk to another rider. My brother and my dad give me shit about it! Peer pressure never did work on me, but the first time a girl wants to get on the back of my bike I will be f@#ked :eek:nfloor Good looking out, though! I'm still open to all advice.

Not to threadjack, but I had a question that I am trying to get to the bottom of and it's sort of related to this topic. Most people who ride have bikes that, while street legal, aren't really made for the street (even slow bikes go over 100mph). And I hear people saying to start small, but they assume that eventually everyone wants more power (and probably sooner rather than later).

My question is, what do people mean by "more power"? Are they talking about torque or top-end speed? I can understand wanting to have that eyeball sucking feeling when you're taking off because it's a thrill. However, going over 100mph is not only dangerous but impractical, so I don't really understand it. I don't speed in my car because I don't like tickets and high insurance, but it seems like there's an unspoken understanding that going well over the legal speed limit is alright (if not condoned).

Do most people want faster bikes because they accept not only the inherent dangers, but also the risk of getting caught and having their driving record jeopardized?

Or do most people just want to get to highway speed quicker than some bikes can go? Maybe people like more pull going up hill and through traffic (again, torque).

I'm not trying to knock anyone so please don't be offended (that's not my intention). I'm trying to be as straightforward as I can be with this question because I want to get to the bottom of it. I'm about to be in the market so I want to make a wise decision. So again, do people want more torque or more top end speed, and more importantly, why?

Personaly if I get a b***** bike I would want it for the bottom end torque. Thats is where I spend most of my riding at, on the street. Most people IMO want a big bike for strokin' ego, not all, but most. Two up riding is also better with more cc too. I've been riding 600cc bikes for 14years and have never been bored with them. Would I take a b***** bike? Sure I would! I would also have a blast on a 250. I would highly doubt that I would get bored on one either, but thats just me. If I'm on two wheels I'm happy. I could give two shits if someone else thought that it was lame because I'm too busy havin' fun riding.

To me straight line speed is boring! Yeah the first few times is awesome, but after awhile you realize that it doesn't take any skill to twist a throttle. Instant gratification wears thin after awhile to me. Corner speed and being smooth is something that I can work on continuously when I ride no matter where I maight be.

If I raced I would have a dif outlook on it, but I'm a street rider that knows where most of my time is spent in what RPM range. You can gear a bike for more top end speed (to an extent) but most will change the sprockets to have more acceleration.

any motorcycle can jeopardize your driving record. :)

It is a personal preference. I agree with everything Slim stated, but for me it's all about torque. I love it hence the reason for my choice of a 650 parallel twin. Lots of low end torque.

I actually learned to ride on a 250 (Honda Rebel) but quickly became bored with the lack of torque, etc. Yes it was an outstanding bike to learn on but I also looked like a monkey screwing a football riding it ( I am 6' 1" and 225 lbs).

Now with all that being said, I would love to have an 08 250r as a second bike, but if I value my marriage, I better pass.

Hey man,
I am a kawa tech in my dads dealership about 60 miles north of columbia. We have a blue 08 250 but im not sure of msrp of the top of my head, close to what u quoted. We do full service and have a very good reputation. The shops been around 30 years this year. If you ever need advice look us up. Its called Dougs Cycle shop. Ill tell u though, depending on your riding experience, that the 250 isnt the fastest bike. I was sorely dissapointed. You might find yourself wanting a b***** bike soon. Anyway, good luck.

Discussion starter · #32 ·
It is a personal preference. I agree with everything Slim stated, but for me it's all about torque. I love it hence the reason for my choice of a 650 parallel twin. Lots of low end torque.

I actually learned to ride on a 250 (Honda Rebel) but quickly became bored with the lack of torque, etc. Yes it was an outstanding bike to learn on but I also looked like a monkey screwing a football riding it ( I am 6' 1" and 225 lbs).

Now with all that being said, I would love to have an 08 250r as a second bike, but if I value my marriage, I better pass.

Now torque is a concept I can get behind. I would choose marriage over the 08 too, divorce ain't cheap.

Discussion starter · #33 ·
Hey man,
I am a kawa tech in my dads dealership about 60 miles north of columbia. We have a blue 08 250 but im not sure of msrp of the top of my head, close to what u quoted. We do full service and have a very good reputation. The shops been around 30 years this year. If you ever need advice look us up. Its called Dougs Cycle shop. Ill tell u though, depending on your riding experience, that the 250 isnt the fastest bike. I was sorely dissapointed. You might find yourself wanting a b***** bike soon. Anyway, good luck.
Thanks, Z, I just googled the shop. Do you mind If I pick your brain in the future. I can't pass up the knowledge you must have.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.