Sport Bikes banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just moved to NY, when the movers unloaded my bike it wouldnt and hasn't started again. I have pulled the plugs and am getting good fire on all four. Gas lines are clean and flowing good. I am wondering if timing is off somehow......It was in storage for almost 2 months......The bike ran great when it was loaded and now nothing?....any ideas....Thanks

:mad

·
old member
13,079 Posts
That sucks.

When you say it doesn't start, do you mean the starter cranks but the engine doesn't fire or nothing from the starter? Was the gas stabilized before storage. 2 months should be OK, but may be an issue. If it cranks, does it smell flooded? If so, check the air box for an obstruction. How about the choke/enricher? You need fuel, spark, and air for lift-off and you seem to have verified the first two.

Timing isn't likely to change while just sitting.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I pulled the airbox to get to the plugs...it was clean...flowed fresh gas from a separtate container....used staterfluid....cranks fine..just wont fire, gonna pick up new plugs today and try them....the ones in there are fairly new but who knows....not real sure what a choke/enricher is? I hate the idea of taking it to a dealer but looking like that may be the next option......arggggghhhh.......SUN and 90 degrees yesterday.....and I haven't been in the saddle yet.

·
RESIDENT ASSHOLE
8,497 Posts
I dont know how your checking the plugs and getting good fire from them all. If it cranks and the plugs fire, you only have two options. No compression or no fuel.

I would bet money that your carbs are gummed up from sitting and you need to get them cleaned.

Unfortunately for you, the Kawasaki starter motors have a tough job by design. It takes a full battery to start those as the plugs will not fire if the starter is taking a lot of juice.

Think of it like this, if you have the plugs in the motor is working to turn over unlike when the plugs are out. This puts additional load on the starter motor which in turn needs more power to turn the motor over. If the available voltage dips in the 10 volt (low tens) your spark plugs will not fire. If it does start the electronic advance will not work right and no matter what you do the bike will not accelerate.

Then you get to the carbs, the kawasaki carbs are a bit prone to gumming up as they are vented to atmosphere really heavily through the ram air system, meaning its easier to evaporate until you get to the solids that have formed. The pilots are small and easily gummed up. You should charge that battery over night and try again, if not, drop the float bowls off and pull the pilot jets out and clean em out with carb cleaner and compressed air.

If it still wont hit after that you have problems best looked at by someone who really knows what they are doing.

·
From back in da' day
2,777 Posts
Try jumping it off your car. This isnt a good practice to do a lot because of the CCA rating differences. Itll spin that sucker over like nobodys business. You mentioned that you sprayed starting fluid into the carbs and poured fresh fuel into them also. Well if you did that then the "gummed up carb" issue is out the window as it would have at least attempted to fire. 2 mos is not a long time man mine sat longer than that and it allways started w/o the choke on. Also be careful with starting fluid bro it has been known to pre detonate and break a ring or 2. There are 4 contributing factors for an internal combustion engine to run 1) Fuel 2) Air 3) Ignition Source 4) Compression. Without ALL 4 the engine will not run. You said you have Ignition, Fuel, and Air....next is to check your compression. Chances are it isnt that as it wont go bad from sitting. There is another problem somewhere i would try to pour some fuel down each carb then start it up. If it dont work then you have an ign problem...let us know

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It was the Plugs...................they all looked fine and were sparking so I assumed they were good to go.......my mistake....put four new ngk's in and she fired first try...
Now the rains have come so she is still sitting in the garage....arghhh

1 - 8 of 8 Posts