Sport Bikes banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys and girls. I'm a newbie to the board, I hope that someone can help.

I've got a 98 VTR 1000 and I recently replaced the battery in it because the old one was dead (from sitting a few months). When i took it out I noticed that it was the original battery so it was probely time to get a new one anyway. Once i put the new one in the bike, it seemed fine (for a day) and then the next AM when I got on it to go to work - the same thing ------ :( DEAD.

Any ideas? I hope it's something that I can fix ASAP b/c I just sold my truck and getting to work is becomeong a pain.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
The first thing to do is check the connections on the voltage regulator. Then check the voltage at the battery while running at 5K rpm you should get arould 14 volts dc. If you do enjoy! If you are only getting 12 v, go and check the stator output - disconnet the wires BE CAREFULL measure between the three wires in pairs 1&2 1&3 2&3 You should get 70-80 volts AC if you do It's time for a new reg/rect. If you don't get the AC voltage the stator is bad

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay. sounds like enough to get me started. I guess I need to get a volt meter. I'll keep you posted. If you think of anything else I should know/check in regards to the battery problem please let me know

·
Registered
765 Posts
Nope...what Dancer said should take care of it. Since you said your battery has been used since '98 (6 years), I am guessing you have the same problem I did (fried stator). When I checked the stator readings the first time it checked good, but the voltage input to the battery was low (13VDC). I decided to keep riding and that is when the stator completely fried. My story and pics are somewhere on the board if you want to perform a search to find them. btw - my battery was only 4 years old at the time. Good luck.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bald:

I have never really worked on the bike (well, besides oil changes, flush turn signals, new bulbs, trimmed fender, and simple bolt on stuff) In other workd I do not know much about the mechanics of the machine. Where is the stater? How do I check it? Thanks for the help.

also... if I were to go outside and try to start the bike, it would have some juice, headlight would come on, and it would try to turn over but then would die. Is this indicative of a fried stater? This sucks!!

I'm on my freaking bicycle to get to work!!
please help - this is embarrassing

·
Registered
765 Posts
The stator is behind the 'stator cover' on the left side of the engine (sitting on the bike). Look below for a picture of the stator (Item 4) and troubleshooting procedures. Let us know if we can be of further help.

Fault Isolation

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks. Could it be a regulator/rectifier probelm? I'm gonna have to get into this over the weekend. If any one can think of tips I should know befor or durring this opperation - I'm all ears. Thanks

·
Registered
183 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Scotteq - thanks. That is perfect. I'm gonna get this thing knocked out this weekend - I hope. I'll keep ya'll posted on the progress.

·
Registered
765 Posts
vtrmoto said:
Scotteq - thanks. That is perfect. I'm gonna get this thing knocked out this weekend - I hope. I'll keep ya'll posted on the progress.
*lmao* at you guys. Do you actually read the posts? Take a look at the 'Fault Isolation' link above the parts illustration blowup.... Sometimes I feel like I waste my time trying to help people. *sigh*

*sorry for the attitude, it has been a rough morning*

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My bad, Bald. I did not see the link - I was busy trying to study the picture. You da man.
Thanks. Hope your AM gets better.

·
what R you lookin' at?
5,313 Posts
my bets on the reg/rectif.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts