Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to get a bike, i dont know what kind but i was planning on getting gear piece by piece, and i like the dark visor on the full face helmet, but i would be doing night riding im sure, and i read that you shouldnt get a clear one and wear sunglasses because it cuts your perrifrial vision. so what should i do?

thanks

·
Registered
205 Posts
Well a full face should come with a clear and then you could purchase a smoked visor for day riding. There are a lot of helmets incorporating quick visor removal in their designs. So you could get one of those and just swap the visor for the different riding. I have a mirrored visor and it's a bit dark for night riding but manageable, I would recommend using the clear at night though.

Also gear can be very expensive, but it's definitely not something to skimp on. I'd say be ready to buy the gear before or when you get the bike, because once you get the bike your likely not going to wait until you have all your gear before you ride the bike.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
15,272 Posts
I greatly prefer a dark or mirrored visor for day time use.

I can use it at night, but it definitely cuts vision and can be a legal issue. So you carry a clear shield

OR!!

Buy a Bell helmet, spend the $120 on a Transitions shield and you get great day time and night time performance, since it auto adjusts

I hate cramming sunglasses into a helmet, and they don't block the light as well as a full visor, since light can leak around them

·
Are we not men?
9,017 Posts
I know a couple of guys that won't change their clear shields and just wear sunglasses. Personally, I hate wearing any glasses in my helmet. I don't like the way they move around.

Peripheral vision is great but your neck moves, doesn't it? You should be scanning constantly while you're riding anyway.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
I keep a extra pair of safety glasses in my trunk just in case I get caught out at night.

I have two helmets. Shoei with clear shield and a bell star with a dark smoke for day riding.

I also have a O'Neil mx helmet with a pair of clear and smoked goggles.

·
pick your poison
2,972 Posts
Some helmets offer a internal drop down smoke visor....

HJC IS models
Scorpion EXO 1100/500
Shoei GT Air.

Probably a few other brands as well?

·
Registered
250 Posts
Some helmets offer a internal drop down smoke visor....

HJC IS models
Scorpion EXO 1100/500
Shoei GT Air.

Probally a few other brands as well?
I have a pair of matte black Seven Zero Seven "Vendetta" helmets from Cycle Gear. Got on clearance at a Bike Night, $99 each and they have the drop down sun shield. Not the greatest lids in the world, but they work. Looks like they are around $140 normally:

SEVEN ZERO SEVEN Street Gear - Vendetta 3 Solid Full-Face Motorcycle Helmet - Cycle Gear

·
Registered
495 Posts
I love a smoked visor, and hate it all at the same time.

A) I wear contacts often, and can go "glasses free" when using the smoked visor. Big convenience factor for me.

B) Makes that helmet a daytime-only helmet. I've been stuck three times, for one reason or another, coming home in the dark, with my visor cracked open so I can see.

My dark visor is now only on my track-day helmet, and I try to be very selective when I use it.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
I don't like full coverage. They are heavy and I keep my head on the swivel all the time. So the lighter weight of the open face is for me. They almost all come with a flip up face shield. So I keep a tinted one on it for when I'm facing the sunset or sunrise. By the time it gets dark, I'm home watching the Braves. I do keep a full coverage for that once a decade pillon. Not sure I'll keep it with this bike. The FZ-6 has no lockable hanger for another helmet. The full coverage has a mirror face shield. That flips open also. Where do you get a helmet with a face shield that doesn't open? I haven't seen one like that since 71 or so.

·
Shop Smart, Shop S-Mart!
1,135 Posts
I've learned not to leave home without BOTH my mirrored and clear visor...

I've heard of those transitions visors, how quickly do those adjust to changes in light?

·
Registered
8,142 Posts
I used to ride with sunglasses under a clear visor. I never noticed a loss of peripheral vision. I'm sure you do lose some, but I never felt unsafe because of wearing sunglasses. I then got a Scorpion EXO-1000 that had a flip down inner visor, so I could ditch the sunglasses (which would hurt my ears and temple if I had them on for too long in the helmet). I then finally got a dark visor... and holy crap, I can't believe I ever used the flip down visor or sunglasses. A dark visor is the way to go. There are no small areas where the sunlight peaks in and there is no loss of peripheral vision. I always carry a clear visor with me, but I have a top case and side cases, so it's no problem finding a place to keep the extra visor.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm looking to get a bike, i dont know what kind but i was planning on getting gear piece by piece, and i like the dark visor on the full face helmet, but i would be doing night riding im sure, and i read that you shouldnt get a clear one and wear sunglasses because it cuts your perrifrial vision. so what should i do?

thanks
The idea that sunglasses affects your field of sight is not completely accurate. Some yes but not all. My sunglasses (actually they are the small fancy military glasses similar to the ones we get when deployed) wrap around. I just use the clear shield with sunglasses for now. I will throw another aspect out there for you. When you have an impact with your helmet the foam will give or compact on itself so your head has a buffer zone. Having glasses in the helmet could do damage. When I wrecked I hit the upper left of my helmet. The sunglasses actually moved up and cut into my forehead. Just something else for you to think about.

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
My helmet is a Scorpion 900 modular. Like the 500, 1000, 1100 (and I'm sure other Scorpions) it has a flip down visor. I use a dark tint visor and since my eyes are sensitive to light (and wind, for that matter) either the flip down or clip ons for my glasses at sun down when riding west or on particularly sunny days. However, if I know I'm going to be out late I'll put my clear visor in my bag. It's not much work to change them out. I've forgotten once or twice and it does suck to ride with a dark visor at dusk/night.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
I've learned not to leave home without BOTH my mirrored and clear visor...

I've heard of those transitions visors, how quickly do those adjust to changes in light?
At 2 in the afternoon on a sunny day, I go about 3 blocks out of the garage before the tint comes on.

·
Registered
15,272 Posts
I don't like full coverage.

. So the lighter weight of the open face is for me. T.

Your helmet choice doesn't cover the majority of impacts. Your choice, of course, information for the uninformed

Fast. Mine is sitting out while I glove up and it's good to go

·
Registered
435 Posts
The only problem I have with the dark smoke is at night when I stay out somewhere and it gets dark before I get going. I don't have a spot to keep my clear visor so I have to ride home at night with the dark visor. It's only happened to me a few times because I try to either bring a clear visor or get home before dark if I know I might be riding at night. So nighttime visibility sucks with the dark smoke, but during the day, I actually cant ride with the clear anymore. The sun is BLINDING to me half the time so that dark smoke makes the ride very enjoyable. Plus I don't like anyone seein my face when i'm riding so I can look at the pretty women driving around me ;)

·
Registered
43 Posts
Your helmet choice doesn't cover the majority of impacts. Your choice, of course, information for the uninformed

Fast. Mine is sitting out while I glove up and it's good to go
Thank you for the info. I won't wear anything but a ff helmet when I ride. Whether it's off road or on. I was in a bad crash when I use to have my crf450r dirt bike. If it wasn't for my ff helmet, I would of broke my teeth, jaw, face etc... Instead I had a face full of dirt from the front part of the helmet scooping up dirt as I slide 20ft on my face and forearm. But my face and head didn't have a scratch on it.

The idea that sunglasses affects your field of sight is not completely accurate. Some yes but not all. My sunglasses (actually they are the small fancy military glasses similar to the ones we get when deployed) wrap around. I just use the clear shield with sunglasses for now. I will throw another aspect out there for you. When you have an impact with your helmet the foam will give or compact on itself so your head has a buffer zone. Having glasses in the helmet could do damage. When I wrecked I hit the upper left of my helmet. The sunglasses actually moved up and cut into my forehead. Just something else for you to think about.

I agree, it depends on the glasses. I have Oakley Gascans and I don't like how they feel with my helmet on. They also really take away alot of my peripheral vision because of the thick frames. I also agree with the fact that wearing sunglasses under a helmet can actually hurt you in a crash. Seen this happen a few times to other people.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts