Sport Bikes banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was riding my '93 Honda cbr 900rr down the street at around 30 mph when I see this lady trying to jaywalk (not in a crosswalk and very dangerous) right in front of me.

She was willing for me to actually crash into her, so to try and warn her not to cross in front of me, I revved my engine.

She still kept walking and so I revved again to what's SOUNDED like the bike's Maximum, 11,000 rpm.

I don't know if I over-revved past that point and into the redzone on my tachometer...but after I did this I smelled a strange odor coming from the bike.

Not exactly sulfur, but a mixed, unpleasant, burnt odor.

Did I fry something or is it just coincidence?

Is there a way for my 900rr to shut off the spark to my cylinders when the bike is revved past redline?

My 600f2 was over-revved (I know this because I saw the tach to my horror go past the red zone) and the engine seemed to automatically stall, I'm guessing to prevent damage.

1. What was that smell?
2. Was it related to my revving?
3. Did I over-rev my engine and if so, did I do any damage?

The bike ran fine after, no leaks, but the faint odor was still there after the ride....it wasn't coming from the tailpipe, I sniffed it after. But maybe near the rear of the bike by the rear brakes?

Thanks

·
Wanna-be racer
2,572 Posts
subscribed... because: i think i over revved my engine last week at the track while downshifting and blipping the throttle to make it a smooth shift...

edit: i did not smell anything funny after it though

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't understand your post Smashbox.

Anway I'm gonna take her out for another ride tomorrow or the next day for a couple hours and wring her out some more.

Hopefully that smell will be long gone.

·
Wanna-be racer
2,572 Posts
I don't understand your post Smashbox.

Anway I'm gonna take her out for another ride tomorrow or the next day for a couple hours and wring her out some more.

Hopefully that smell will be long gone.
i subscribed to your thread because i think i may have over revved my engine last week and want to refer back to this thread when more responses come through... so, to be on the safe side if there are any engine concerns i'll have something to refer back to.

i'm sorry i didn't offer any insight. i was pretty much just piggy backing this thread for information

·
Registered
3,905 Posts
Wont do anything as long as you've got oil in it...

Peak a motor while the bike is on its side, can result in throwing the big end bearing...

This is from previous experience.

Bikes have a revlimiter, thats the 'ratatatatatatatatatatata' noise that your bike makes when you pull the clutch in and roll up on dem bitchez and hold it open.

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wont do anything as long as you've got oil in it...

Peak a motor while the bike is on its side, can result in throwing the big end bearing...

This is from previous experience.

Bikes have a revlimiter, thats the 'ratatatatatatatatatatata' noise that your bike makes when you pull the clutch in and roll up on dem bitchez and hold it open.

I think I remember hearing that sound when I overreved my 600f2 and power to my engine was automatically cut.

It felt weird.

Thanks for your info, I appreciate it! Most helpful post so far.

:cheers

·
Registered
3,905 Posts
I think I remember hearing that sound when I overreved my 600f2 and power to my engine was automatically cut.

It felt weird.

Thanks for your info, I appreciate it! Most helpful post so far.

:cheers

Yup the Rev Limiter will also cut power to the engine, its all normal.

Happy I could help.

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i subscribed to your thread because i think i may have over revved my engine last week and want to refer back to this thread when more responses come through... so, to be on the safe side if there are any engine concerns i'll have something to refer back to.

i'm sorry i didn't offer any insight. i was pretty much just piggy backing this thread for information
It's ok Smashbox, I hope you get help too.

How did you over-rev your bike? Upshifting or downshifting or revving in neutral or with the clutch in?

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
I don't thing a 93 has a rev limiter, It could be that you floated the valves ?
If it still runs Ok I wouldn't worry about it. DON'T make it a habit !!!!!! or you could blow the engine up....

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I don't thing a 93 has a rev limiter, It could be that you floated the valves ?
If it still runs Ok I wouldn't worry about it. DON'T make it a habit !!!!!! or you could blow the engine up....
I might have floated the valves, hopefully I didn't though.

Bike runs fine. Just that smell, that worries me.

Never smelled that on any bike before. And never on this bike.

·
Registered
7,723 Posts
The only way you are going to overrev an engine is by mechanical force (assuming you have a rev limiter)...i.e., downshift into a gear too low for your speed, so that the rpms are past the redline.

See, the rev limiter will prevent the engine from ever powering itself past the limit, but it can't do anything to prevent the effects of going way too fast for a low gear and dropping the clutch.

In the BMW enthusiast world (cars), we call this a Money $hift....its when you try to downshift from 5th to 4th to pass but accidentally throw it into 2nd, blowing rods and often your entire engine...

Never fear of revving it up in neutral (again, assuming you have a rev limiter)...but watch those downshifts.

((Note, a slipper clutch may prevent money shifts from happening)).

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The only way you are going to overrev an engine is by mechanical force (assuming you have a rev limiter)...i.e., downshift into a gear too low for your speed, so that the rpms are past the redline.

See, the rev limiter will prevent the engine from ever powering itself past the limit, but it can't do anything to prevent the effects of going way too fast for a low gear and dropping the clutch.

In the BMW enthusiast world (cars), we call this a Money $hift....its when you try to downshift from 5th to 4th to pass but accidentally throw it into 2nd, blowing rods and often your entire engine...

Never fear of revving it up in neutral (again, assuming you have a rev limiter)...but watch those downshifts.

((Note, a slipper clutch may prevent money shifts from happening)).
Thanks for the information, I feel much better now. I'm usually very very careful on downshifts, I'm not the greatest rider so I don't like using the engine to slow down, I'd rather brake. I don't race either. We have no track.

I'll be riding her again today and hopefully no more smell.

I love my Honda :boink

·
Destiny Calls
502 Posts
Not related to the OP, just thinking out loud:

What in gods name would you need to downshift for if you are already near redline? If you are going to downshift and find yourself bouncing it off the revlimiter in order to rev match it might be a good idea just to use the right hand instead.

As for a money shift, that has to be a horrible feeling as in sinks in what you've just done. Shouldn't a synchronizer prevent that from happening? I'm not nuts about the terrible heavy clunk I get when I make a bad shift on my bike. But listening to the gearbox tear itself apart can't be fun.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts