Sport Bikes banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
519 Posts
dont worry about the flames..people feel better once they yell at you...just dont panic next time...and for that price you would have to be crazy to pass that deal up, plus tlr's are sweet bikes

·
Registered
62 Posts
cajunTLR said:
Well to all the guys that didn't flame me thanks.
I hope you didn't think anyone was flaming. They weren't, nor was I, calling you names, just trying to point out important things that you obviously didn't think about!

Ok now I wanted to tell the point of my post. The point was to let other newbies to ride with in your abilities. I know what I did was stupid and will not repeat what I did. B/c had I not been as LUCKY as I was I would be in a hospital right now and I know that.
You didn't say that in your post, and it didn't read that way to me.

Now to give some of you guys some back ground. I am 26 have ridden Dirtbikes and Three wheelers for much of my earlier life.
I don't care if you have ridden 1000hp unicycles underwater from North America to England! Dirtbikes and ATVs are not streetbikes and are not ridden on the street. They have many similarities like 2 wheels, throttle, clutch, brakes. They also have many differences that really matter on the street!

I have taken the MSF class and the thing I took out of that class mostly is to watch your entry speed ( which I didn't apply).
Do to time and $$$ limitations MSF just gets to touch the tip of the motorcycle iceberg so to speak. I highly doubt if corner entry speed was concentrated on for any time at all in the short time you attended the class. I also hope that isn't the only "thing" you took from the class.

Also on the bike: I bought it from my friend the only reason I bought that bike instead of a smaller bike like a R6 which I was going to buy was price thats it. I bought my Tiller for 4500 buck with 12000 miles. The R6 I was looking at was 6000 with 20k's on it. And since I live in Cali the price of bikes is outragous.
An R6 has a smaller engine but is nearly equally powerful so I think you need to reconsider your thought process here!

And I actually always use my tach but obviously this whole ride was just one try to be macho brain fart.
Always?

And I do plan on attending the superbike school also.
Maybe a little street experience on something more in line with your ability might serve you well before you sign up for a superbike school?

And usually I do brake heavily in corners but I just screwed up this time. I know to watch entry speed and roll the throttle in the turn and when in doubt gas and lean. I just actually over leaned and over compinsated. But thanks for all the info and concern.
Braking in a corner is a no no, unless your familiar with trail braking. If you over leaned you would have low sided and your parts would be on ebay.

No one is trying to give you a hard time, just setting you straight about some small points that may save your life. Hell if I was in So Cal I would love to ride with you. Hell, I wish I was in So Cal!!

Anyway. Consider a smaller or older bike. Ride your own pace. Be careful. Live to ride a long time!

·
Registered
260 Posts
HOw did you take a canyon turn at 100 miles an hour and not absolutely launch off the road with your 2 months of experience. Not flaming here, it actually sounds like your the natural...not ur friend

·
Speed Racer
1,650 Posts
So if you had made it threw the turn caught up to your friend, passed him, would there have been money and easy umbrella girls waiting for you? Oh,,thats right,,you where just pretending to race. Maybe you where just pretending to crash.
2 months in you don't need to be doing 130 on straights man.

·
what R you lookin' at?
5,313 Posts
ask yourself, if you'd be going that fast in your car, in which you've had at least a few years driving, i assume.

·
Registered
461 Posts
I'm glad you're ok but seriously, a TL1000R isn't the bike you should be on for a starter. I just bought an 03 and it's a beastly machine that would teach any newb many wrong traits that most likely wouldn't be learned on smaller bikes. Be careful.

·
Sandbox hater!!
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Ok I should have said I brake heavily before the corners I know you can not brake in the corners. And hind sight being 20/20 I would have gotten a smaller bike. And no it isnt the only thing I took from the MSF class. Look all I was saying was that I fucked up and just wanted to post this to let people know to ride with in your capabilites thats all but I do believe you have to push yourself or you will never get better. I didn't write it to say I was the best newbie out there or to say I can handle a 1000 and I am a noob. But I do have the bike no and I cant change that I am not going to just get rid of it. You also have to take into account that a bike no matter the size even 250 can do over 100 and can get you hurt or killed. Yes a 1000 is a more powerful bike but not if you dont push it to its capabilites and I have not,nor will I do so any time soon. I just wanted to say that I fucked up and to let others know not to do the same. Thats all. So thanks for listening and again thanks for the advice. PS Deputy what do you ride?? What was your first bike.

·
old member
13,079 Posts
cajunTLR said:
Ok I should have said I brake heavily before the corners I know you can not brake in the corners. And hind sight being 20/20 I would have gotten a smaller bike. And no it isnt the only thing I took from the MSF class. Look all I was saying was that I fucked up and just wanted to post this to let people know to ride with in your capabilites thats all but I do believe you have to push yourself or you will never get better. I didn't write it to say I was the best newbie out there or to say I can handle a 1000 and I am a noob. But I do have the bike no and I cant change that I am not going to just get rid of it. You also have to take into account that a bike no matter the size even 250 can do over 100 and can get you hurt or killed. Yes a 1000 is a more powerful bike but not if you dont push it to its capabilites and I have not,nor will I do so any time soon. I just wanted to say that I fucked up and to let others know not to do the same. Thats all. So thanks for listening and again thanks for the advice. PS Deputy what do you ride?? What was your first bike.
Please don't consider this a flame because it isn't meant to be. I think you've missed some of the points that others tried to make to save your life. You said that you have not, nor will push the bike to its capabilities. I think you already have and will likely so so again. You almost can't help but make mistakes on that bike. Brain farts or spaz attacks = potential sudden acceleration into oblivion. We all make mistakes early on. On a more forgiving bike it just gets a little exciting. On a TL, it can easily get away from you. I do hope you've "learned your lesson", but if there is any chance that you haven't, consider getting rid of the TL and getting something more sane. Good luck!!

Best case on that bike is that you'll pick up a bunch of bad habits.

·
I own license2ill
5,679 Posts
know your limatations or die pushing them

·
Registered
62 Posts
cajunTLR said:
You also have to take into account that a bike no matter the size even 250 can do over 100 and can get you hurt or killed.
Absolutely right!! But it takes ALOT more effort to get there doesn't it? Do you think you would have been doing anyway near 130 going into that corner on a 250?

Yes a 1000 is a more powerful bike but not if you dont push it to its capabilites and I have not,nor will I do so any time soon.
You don't have to worry about the bikes abilities. You have to worry about your ability to operate the bike and negotiate the dangers encountered on the road. You went way above your ability on this ride, not the bike's.

PS Deputy what do you ride?? What was your first bike.
My first bike was a Huffy :) After progressing through 15 or 20 bicycles I got a moped.
My first motorcycle was an 84 honda 500. Something like 12 horsepower and 10 of those were asleep. BTW I'm 35 years old and I currently ride an F4i and see no reason to get a 750 or 1000. I think it's funny when I'm waiting for the new kids on theirs :)

We appreciate you saying you fucked up and hopefully you really believe that, because it may keep you alive in the future. It's your life, your bike, and your decision. We just want you to be around to enjoy it, thats all!

21 - 31 of 31 Posts