Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Sandbox hater!!
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well me and my best friend decided to go for a little ride today at Telegraph canyon a canyon around here in San Diego. Well anyway my friend rides a 02 ZX6R and I have a 99 TLR. Well we both have been riding for about 2 months and I am sorry to say he is much better than me. He is just one of those guys that is a natural. He is dragging his toe and crap like that already, after not even getting on a bike before his. So we went through once and he was waiting for me at the end and said " what took so long" and I was like " oh yeah well go I will be on your ass" Well I was for a while. Until...... He gets a little ahead of me and I decide to make up ground in a straight ( that is the only way I ever catch him 1000 to 600 :D ) Well I normally stay between 3rd and 4th. So I get on it in the straight and get up to about 130 then let off to slow well I forgot I shifted into 5th and if any of you guys ride a V twin you know how much it slows you down when letting go of the throttle. So since I was in 5th instead of 4th it didn't slow me as much as expected. So I go into the turn hot i mean real hot like at 100. Well I start to gas and lean but am in too high of a gear. So off the road I go missing a wall of rock by about 2 feet from my shoulder and start hitting rocks on side of the road. So I figured I would just try to ride it out well since the turn was ending I made it luckly. So after getting my heart out of my throat I pressed on at first slow then I figured what the hell the tires are hot so I got on it again but this time I made sure of my gear. Take home message know what gear your in ride within your capabilities and WEAR YOUR GEAR!! ALL OF IT!!

·
Registered
62 Posts
1 Use your tach!!
2 Don't count on engine braking to slow/stop your bike.
3 maybe, just maybe, if youv'e only been riding for 2 months you have no reason to be doing 130, or 100, or 80, in the canyons on a liter twin.
4 Ride your own ride. It proves nothing for you to keep/catch up with your buddy except you about killed yourself.

5 Thank God your OK!

·
Suzuki 3000GT
2,107 Posts
Everything he just said. I always keep up with what gear I'm in in my head. Although I don't see what was so difficult about integrating a gear indicator for motorcycles after 1990. It can't be THAT hard. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
216 Posts
cajunTLR said:
Well anyway my friend rides a 02 ZX6R and I have a 99 TLR. Well we both have been riding for about 2 months and I am sorry to say he is much better than me.
You have been riding for about 2 months and you ride a TLR? Wow, big surprise here, maybe if you started on something a little smaller, like EX500, you might be able to handle the bike a little better. My .02

·
Registered
558 Posts
if brains were made of cotton... you sir would not have enough to kotex a flea..

oh yea, and what they said..

·
Registered
304 Posts
Surprise, surprise, a guy with a TLR for a first bike and nearly hurt himself. First, anyone can go fast in a straight line. Believe me when I say that a beginner moving at that rate is in trouble already. You have NO survivor skills, and at that speed, no chance of evasion or stopping, with your experience level. Next, always know what gear you are in. Again, something that comes with experience. No need to stare at your tach, just count and remember. You shift with your EARS, not your eyes. Last, and most important, engine braking is NOT a substitute for braking. USE YOUR BRAKES. Getting lazy like that gets you hurt.

You were lucky, and I would suggest you sell that bike and buy something smaller. MUCH smaller.

·
Registered
216 Posts
freeride said:
Surprise, surprise, a guy with a TLR for a first bike and nearly hurt himself. First, anyone can go fast in a straight line. Believe me when I say that a beginner moving at that rate is in trouble already. You have NO survivor skills, and at that speed, no chance of evasion or stopping, with your experience level. Next, always know what gear you are in. Again, something that comes with experience. No need to stare at your tach, just count and remember. You shift with your EARS, not your eyes. Last, and most important, engine braking is NOT a substitute for braking. USE YOUR BRAKES. Getting lazy like that gets you hurt.

You were lucky, and I would suggest you sell that bike and buy something smaller. MUCH smaller.
+1......................... take his advice before you end up a statistic

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
if brains were made of cotton... you sir would not have enough to kotex a flea..

Haha that's great :lol

Glad your ok, be more careful next time around so it won't be your last ;)

·
Registered
5,240 Posts
Stop letting the ego get in your way, you could of ended up being another statistic. Glad you're all right..

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
ease up fellas...he came on here to tell his story and had the balls to admit he made a mistake. I for one would try to be constructive with him...instead of raking him over the coals.

So in the spirit of being constructive....

CAJUNTLR....WHAT DID YOU LEARN FROM YOUR OFF ROAD ADVENTURE??

·
Registered
519 Posts
next time dont panic and just throw the bike down farther than you think it will go and you will ride out of it alright...i gurantee you werent leaned as far as you could of

·
Registered
308 Posts
Good to hear that you came out ok. Keep in mind, ride your own ride and you will live alot longer. ;) Different people take different amounts of time to learn, dont' compare your riding technique with your friends. Learn to ride at your own pace, doing so will allow you to advance safer, smoother, and most importantly--- smarter. Your friend, as fast as you think he maybe, still may not be the safest rider. Touching your toe down doesn't mean that you are fast... there could be lots of variables such as foot position that would factor. If it were me, I would find a couple of experienced riders who are willing to humble themselves and to take a newbie under their arms. There are a couple of people on our socal boards who I'm sure will be more than happy to teach you. (www.socalsportbikes.com)

·
Posse Pimp Daddy #1
2,767 Posts
The moral is to ride at the pace you can handle.... I ride with guys all the time that are amazing.... There is no way I will try to keep up with them. I am not ready for it. I will be with time. But as for now....I'm happy being a back marker!

·
Sandbox hater!!
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well to all the guys that didn't flame me thanks. Ok now I wanted to tell the point of my post. The point was to let other newbies to ride with in your abilities. I know what I did was stupid and will not repeat what I did. B/c had I not been as LUCKY as I was I would be in a hospital right now and I know that. Now to give some of you guys some back ground. I am 26 have ridden Dirtbikes and Three wheelers for much of my earlier life. I have taken the MSF class and the thing I took out of that class mostly is to watch your entry speed ( which I didn't apply). Also on the bike: I bought it from my friend the only reason I bought that bike instead of a smaller bike like a R6 which I was going to buy was price thats it. I bought my Tiller for 4500 buck with 12000 miles. The R6 I was looking at was 6000 with 20k's on it. And since I live in Cali the price of bikes is outragous. And I actually always use my tach but obviously this whole ride was just one try to be macho brain fart. And I do plan on attending the superbike school also. And usually I do brake heavily in corners but I just screwed up this time. I know to watch entry speed and roll the throttle in the turn and when in doubt gas and lean. I just actually over leaned and over compinsated. But thanks for all the info and concern.

·
Registered
304 Posts
cajunTLR said:
Well to all the guys that didn't flame me thanks. Ok now I wanted to tell the point of my post. The point was to let other newbies to ride with in your abilities. I know what I did was stupid and will not repeat what I did. B/c had I not been as LUCKY as I was I would be in a hospital right now and I know that. Now to give some of you guys some back ground. I am 26 have ridden Dirtbikes and Three wheelers for much of my earlier life. I have taken the MSF class and the thing I took out of that class mostly is to watch your entry speed ( which I didn't apply). Also on the bike: I bought it from my friend the only reason I bought that bike instead of a smaller bike like a R6 which I was going to buy was price thats it. I bought my Tiller for 4500 buck with 12000 miles. The R6 I was looking at was 6000 with 20k's on it. And since I live in Cali the price of bikes is outragous. And I actually always use my tach but obviously this whole ride was just one try to be macho brain fart. And I do plan on attending the superbike school also. And usually I do brake heavily in corners but I just screwed up this time. I know to watch entry speed and roll the throttle in the turn and when in doubt gas and lean. I just actually over leaned and over compinsated. But thanks for all the info and concern.
For $4500 you could have bought 3 proper starter bikes, and don't even get me started on "usually I do brake heavily in corners" stuff. At your skill level, braking and corners DON'T MIX. You're in for a world of hurt.

·
Sandbox hater!!
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
I am not sure what you mean by " braking and cornering dont mix" Well I said I brake before the corner and go throught it at a slower speed increasing thruough the turn. Or is that not how you teach your MSF class. And I bought it cause it was a chance of a life time as far as price goes. I could sell it for 6000 here. And I know your gonna say you cant sell it if it is totaled. I was not posting this to get flamed if you with your instrutor status cant give good instruction than dont post. Oh and I forgot I do plan on gettting a 636 as soon as my car is paid off in two months.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts