Sport Bikes banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So im washing my bike before my 600 mile inspection next week, and theres a damn nail right in the dead center of my rear tire. The soapy water was bubbling on it so it is for sure slowly leaking air.

Wondering whats the best course of action? Is it safe to plug a rear tire, because i do sometimes cruise at high speeds. Gunna suck if i have to get a new tire this early on a new bike.

·
Premium Member
9,239 Posts
Personally I would only plug a tire to get me by until I can get a new one. I wouldn't want to trust my life at high speeds to a little plug. I know some guys that have got by with a plugged tire, but I won't ever risk it.

·
Registered
929 Posts
so far i have plugged every tire i have had on my bike with no problems,I once had 3 plugs in 1 tire rode it like that for 2000 miles,even reached over tripple digit speeds. If you can get the plugs that go on from the inside the tire that is the best way

·
Premium Member
2,435 Posts
so far i have plugged every tire i have had on my bike with no problems,I once had 3 plugs in 1 tire rode it like that for 2000 miles,even reached over tripple digit speeds. If you can get the plugs that go on from the inside the tire that is the best way

+1 But only patched from the inside. No plugs.

·
Registered
577 Posts
well i know they make a plug like a patch,,, its attaches from the inside like a patch but has a stem on it like a plug,,, maybe thats what they are talking about,,, i would only trust a plug if i put one in,,, because if it was twisted right and a sticky plug it will make a ball and won't come out but i don't know much about plugs on a bike tire,,,better stick to patches

·
Registered
28 Posts
I picked up a screw in my rear tire before I even put 1000 miles on my new Rossos. :cut

I ended up plugging the tire to get home and patching it later.

·
Premium Member
5,547 Posts
Personally I would only plug a tire to get me by until I can get a new one. I wouldn't want to trust my life at high speeds to a little plug. I know some guys that have got by with a plugged tire, but I won't ever risk it.
+1 Get a new tire!

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
Plug/patch from the inside with the super sticky rubber glue and I would not worry about a thing.

Good as new.

·
Registered
388 Posts
The stock tires suck any how. You should get some new ones any how. I made less that 4k on the stock dunlops and got 8k out of the rear pilot power...still had life in it but there was a serious ridge in it and would dump the bike over...probly could have got 10k out of it. It is a way better tire than stock ones. I would buy a new one....unless you are low on funds.

luckily i have never picked up a thing in my tires in over 13k miles. woot

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the replies everyone. Im leaning towards getting a new tire, its just going to linger in the back of my mind that i have a plug in my tire. Riding wont be as enjoyable if im worrying about it all the time.

I guess i will however plug the darn thing until i can muster up some money and decide what kind of tire i want. Also would it make much of a difference if i had two different treads/brands of tire on the front and rear?

·
Registered
315 Posts
Ive had a Pirelli diablo rear with the stock front for a long while now, around 7k miles with no adverse effects. I ran into the same situation as you did, luckily i had a few more miles then you. Now i need a new front.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I've got the stock front and rear from my '07 if you guys might be interested (JTmarsh and ZZZR06) in a cheap interim solution.

Tires have 4900 miles on them. Rear has the typical commuter flat spot; approximately 2 mm of tread left in the rain grooves. Front is in good condition. If either of you is interested, I can e-mail some high resolution pictures to you.

I replaced them as I was going to a track day and didn't want to run them. Replaced with BStone BT-016s (multi-compound). Nice tires for a nice price!

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
Thanks for the replies everyone. Im leaning towards getting a new tire, its just going to linger in the back of my mind that i have a plug in my tire. Riding wont be as enjoyable if im worrying about it all the time.

I guess i will however plug the darn thing until i can muster up some money and decide what kind of tire i want. Also would it make much of a difference if i had two different treads/brands of tire on the front and rear?
what kinda tire is it?

if ur on a tight budget, look around for some track take-offs. they are very cheap, usually less than $50 and perfect for the street since the middle is barely used.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts