Sport Bikes banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Man in the boat
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had the shop put on a new chain for me about 1,000 miles ago cuz I dont have the tools for it. The thing is, the back wheel keeps moving forward for whatever reason Im unsure of and makes my chain dangerously loose...

Here's my question...If I take a link out of the chain and move the wheel forward a smidge will it solve the problem of the constantly loose chain and moving rear wheel?

I have to adjust my rear wheel about every 75-100 miles and its a PITA! Thats why I want to buy a master link tool and remove a link...

If any of you are more inclined with this sorta thing PLEASE help...

·
You will be missed Shawn
6,508 Posts
check and make sure your rear wheel nuts (the spacers that hold out how far the wheel is in the wheelbase) aren't loose.

·
I own license2ill
5,679 Posts
make shure both bolts are on there or it will losen up on you and make shure your axel nut is tight but not so tight that you spin a bearing (wear it out)

·
Man in the boat
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Checked it last night before I went riding...All was good...Then I ripped the chain right off when I was in the midst of a wheelie...:(

I guess Ill just get new one... :p

·
Registered
147 Posts
If your axel is slipping forward with 110 links, what makes you think that it won't with 109? You need to be able to slide the axle forward or you will not be able to remove the chain without "breaking" it
Something tells me that there is some un-engineered movement going on. You might want to check if you may have a 525 or 530 chain riding on 520 sprockets. Also if you have room on your adjusting bolt ,a second "jamb" nut might help, or if no room a "Lock Washer" may also do the trick.

·
Man in the boat
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Gixxer Geezer said:
If your axel is slipping forward with 110 links, what makes you think that it won't with 109? You need to be able to slide the axle forward or you will not be able to remove the chain without "breaking" it
Something tells me that there is some un-engineered movement going on. You might want to check if you may have a 525 or 530 chain riding on 520 sprockets. Also if you have room on your adjusting bolt ,a second "jamb" nut might help, or if no room a "Lock Washer" may also do the trick.

I had a second jam nut on there...I dont know why its slipping...I have new sprockets and "had" a new chain...All were a 530 set up...I checked after I ripped m chain off and both sides of the axel were lined up properly... :confused:

·
Registered
43 Posts
If I'm not mistaken, you need to check a new chain after about 500 miles because it most likely will need to be adjusted a bit. It's just the way chains are i believe.

·
Man in the boat
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Undisputed said:
If I'm not mistaken, you need to check a new chain after about 500 miles because it most likely will need to be adjusted a bit. It's just the way chains are i believe.
I hear ya on that one...I clean, lube, and inspect my chain every 250 or so...

·
Registered
183 Posts
Here's my question...If I take a link out of the chain and move the wheel forward a smidge will it solve the problem of the constantly loose chain and moving rear wheel?

No. That's like putting a bandage on a compound fracture 'cause it's bleeding. Not a jab - I just mean that there's a deeper problem that needs solved: You need to figure out why the locknuts and axle nut are not holding your rear wheel in place.

Who serviced your bike last??? If it was the shop, I'd be willing to bet that some cretin with an airgun stripped the threads on your axle nut. Or they simply didn't tighten it all properly.

Find a friend with some tools and do the job right. That sh*t should not move at all once torqued down.

Scott :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts