Sport Bikes banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
You will be missed Shawn
6,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay as some of you know already, I'm going to update the rest of the story for you guys and for the ones that don't know, I'm going to fill them in with last nights excursions.

Last night, one of our guys went down. He rides a black/silver 2001 gix 1k w/o the mids or lowers on it. His name is Rob. He is a very experienced rider that blacked out while riding on the highway (he was only going about 60 mph). He wasn't drinking, he wasn't on drugs. He blacked out. He had on his backprotector, jacket, helmet, gloves and boots. His jacket and helmet saved his life. Evidently, he and another one of our friends were on the way to meet up with us and while he on I-35 after merging from 69 highway, he lost control of the bike after blacking out. He was weaving off the highway and on a couple of times before he came into contact w/the guard rail that has the 75th street sign/exit only. There is black tire marks on the rail itself and on the shoulder in a skipping pattern before the bike finally came to rest on top of him. Some passerbys in a car and my other friend pulled the bike off of him. He was coherant at the scene, but his arm if fubar'd. he evidently hit the guard rail w/his right arm and it is severely severly broken. He went to surgery this morning (early) and is currently in the ICU at a local hospital (if you want to know where, give me or one of the others a call). He has a lot of surgeries ahead of him and he if not going to be riding anymore this year and quite probably next year as well. For those of you that know him, I can't say he is in good spirits, but he is being Rob for the most part. They are keeping him well medicated w/morphine so he is sleeping. He will probably be in ICU for a couple of days anyway before going out the floor, so I don't really know what is going to happen for him. I don't flowers is appropriate and truthfully, I am not sure about anything else.

One thing I would like from everyone, if you happen to know of anyone doing reconstructive surgery (of the bones) please send me a link or post it or get me that information somehow. I know Rob, he is going to want to ride again, I jsut don't know when that will a possiblity. I'm trying to get enough information together for him so if he needs it, he has some options available to him. He doesn't know I'm hunting for this, so if any information becomes available in that area, if you guys could just post it up or print it out or something, I thought I would hang on to it and get it to him when it is a bit more appropriate.

Really, I can't say there was anything that could've been to prevent this happening as there were no drugs/alcohol involved and speed wasn't a factor as the highway posted speed limit is 60 mph. I feel like shit this has happened and honestly, guys/gals, one of my biggest fears as a nurse (especially a trauma nurse) is potentially having to take care of one of my friends someday. It would've at least been alittle bit easier had there been some stupid shit going on, but there wasn't.

Anyway, thank you to everyone that helped out last night and came to the hospital for support:

Brian B, Chad, Eric, Rich, Keith, Jen, Chris, Nick S, Meghan. I told Rob who all was there, and he appreicated it. He did think it was humorous that we had basically taken over the hospital for a while there.

Incidently, the bike actually faired a lot better than Rob. The master cylinder is trashed as well as the clutch lever, the rear passenger peg on the clutch side, and I think the mirror on the brake side broke. Oh, the tab on the lower triple broke off as well. So, really, all in all, the bike came out pretty good. It won't take much to fix it. But that is project that will wait for another day.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Brandy, I will try to dig up information regrading the doctor that was working on my hand after my wreck. He's specializes in hand surgery and I think he covers the entire arm.

Simply put the man was a genuis and a gift from God for me. Without him I prob wouldn't be using my hand today.

He however is located in Wichita at least he was.

As far as being there. I don't know Rob that well but I would have stayed even longer if I could have and I would for anyone else in that waiting room. I just wanted to help. I know I would want 10 people in my waiting room.

Anyway let me go dig up that info.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Jay Stanley Jones M.D PA
Clifton Medical Center
1515 South Clifton #130
Wichita, KS 67218

This info is about 5 years old though. Like I said. The guy for me was a miracle but I don't know how much help he might be for Rob. Hopefully. LIke I said he's in Wichita but personally I wouldn't bat an eye about going all the way back down there to see him. I also know someone that mess up his hand pretty bad here locally and I will check with him as far as who his doc was and if he is reccomendable.

*ugh going through all my old accident records*

edit: Dug up the phone number.. Phone: (316) 684-8211 (Checked the number its still good and goes to his office)

·
You will be missed Shawn
6,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
sweet! Thank you for the info. I'm going to put together a notebook w/all the info I pick up here. I just got up from a nap so I'm eating a bite before I head back up thee to see how is doing. I'll probably be up there around 830 or so, and I'll post up the results after I get home. I'm not working tonight and I doubt I'll be riding...

·
I TOLD YA...
4,670 Posts
shit :cry thank god its not life threatening. when would the best time to get up there and see him? and also directions would be great. also is there a time that they stop allowing visitors? just so happens that an employee starts vacation today so i dont have a day off at all this week. consequently i wont be able to get up there until probably atleast 9-930. fuckin dammit this sucks :(

·
You will be missed Shawn
6,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
visiting hours are from 0800-until 1900 and resume again 2000 until2300 (that is 8 am-7 pm and start again 8 pm-1100 pm) in the ICU. I don't know how long he will in there, probably not more than a day or so. Since he in Overland Park, the easiest way from Lawrence, would be K-10 until it merged on to 435 headed east to Quviera exit (it is like the 2nd exit after the merge), head north on Quivera. The hospital can be seen from 435.

You got my number, if you need furthur directions or anything, call me. I'll be posting up status updates as I can.

·
I TOLD YA...
4,670 Posts
sweet thanks. hoping to get up there tomorrow. whats the deal with the elbow? broke, shaved down, shattered? :(

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Joe and Brandy are the best resources but from the talk last night the problem with the elbow seems to be the bones jammed up against it in one literal flustercluck. Mobility in the hands and for the most part the arm and hands seem intact but the ability to move the elbow in the future is the biggest concern.

Which was better then the first word we heard, mutilple compound fractures, bone turned to dust.... oh and there were having issues getting circulation in the arm as well..

:barf

but it definilty sounds like things are better then the state they were in last night.

·
You will be missed Shawn
6,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
from a vascular aspect, circulation is intact. as for the elbow. well, hmmm. flustercluck? excellant word for it. the bones were intially dislocated over the top of the elbow, however, now that they are back to wehre they are supposed to, the elbow itself was pretty much shattered. i don't know how else to describe it. we will have to see. mobility is going to be the biggest concern. it is still pretty bad, but like Eric said, I don't feel it is as bad as it was initally made out to be. The return of the circulation itself helped alot. he is able to move and wiggle the fingers although there is a helluva lot of swelling as could be expected.

we'll be going up to check on him again before work.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
When is work?

What about the Ulner (sp) nerve that comes down at the bottom of the elbow? I just barely missed snapping that in half and streched it out pretty good.. but I was really scared that I was going lose it for awhile which meant pretty much feeling in half my hand. Or is it too early still to know about nerve damage? All my fingers were bent down like a claw for a least a month because of it.

·
You will be missed Shawn
6,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
work is at 7 so we'll probably be up there around 5.

the ortho doc said when he got in there, all the nerves looked pretty good w/o any severence in them. Rob can move his hand and wriggle all his fingers and says except for the elbow area, it doesn't hurt (his hand).

you sound like your wreck was pretty extensive (you had told me about the wreck, but I hadn't fully appreciated how jacked up you were as well)

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Yeah.. we can talk about it later though.. I already feel bad about drawing attention to it now but just trying to get a grasp of it based on what I went through..and also offer insight based on what I went through as well.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Sorry to hear about your friend....that is way to freaky, I'm sure he will recover fast, I will keep him in my prayers, it works, my friend who had the bad head trauma is all better now. So the power of prayer works. Let him know that there are people who don't even know him thinking about him and praying he gets better soon.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Any ideas as to what caused the blackout? Speaking from personal experience, it could have been a seizure (from any number of things) or some form of epilepsy. Often VERY hard to diagnose.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Brandy,

Douglas Cusick is the name of the guy that fixed up my buddy's arm here locally. He said very good results. Also he reccomended Overland Park Regional for rehab. Says they are the best people he has seen in that field had to go there for football injuries in high school and then back for this arm injury.

Dunno how he fairs orthepedic wise but worth checking into.

·
Registered
238 Posts
im sorry to hear about rob i hope his can ride again tell him to hang in there

·
Registered
987 Posts
Thoth said:
Any ideas as to what caused the blackout? Speaking from personal experience, it could have been a seizure (from any number of things) or some form of epilepsy. Often VERY hard to diagnose.
In theory it could have ben a sezure but here we know his blood sugar was dangerously low enough is some to cause what looks like a sezure.

·
I TOLD YA...
4,670 Posts
anyone going up there tonight? chris and i are going to try and get up there after work this evening.

·
You will be missed Shawn
6,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
i'm going up here in a while.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.