1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2000 ZX-6R

Compression test came out as follows...

155, 160, 0, 160

The bike doesnt burn any oil and my first assumption is that it just had fouled a plug. Since the bike doesnt burn any oil i am thinking the head maybe the culprit, however i dont have a leakdown tester to verify this. The bike just sounds like it has a miss. Possibly a bent valve? To have 0psi and no oil burning it almost has to be the head, right? Is this a common prob on this bike? Also, where in the hell can i find the parts to fix this? It seems every online store i can find only has exhaust, apparel, and other accessories.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
most likely bent or burned valve. If it was piston rings it would have some compression even if they were gone and it should burn oil. If you squirt about a tablespoon of 30w oil in the cylinder and turn it over a couple of times and check the compression and it has compression it's probably the rings. Did you "zing" the motor on a missed shift at high rpms?

How did the spark plug for that cylinder look? Good, oil covered, etc?

Looks like it's teardown time to pull the head off to see what the real problem is.

·
Kawpuke Extraordinare!
1,148 Posts
Also if you can getan adapter that screws down into the sparkplug hole with a regular air fitting you can pressurize the cylinder and diagnose where its leaking air. You only need to use 20-30 psi or so. If you hear air escaping from the carburator on that cylinder its the intake valve, if out the exhaust pipe then the exhaust valve, if you can hear it escaping from the oil filler hole then probably past the rings. Before you take the head apart double check the valve clearances and make sure you dont have one that is tight and not closing all the way. Take it one step at a time and take notes on what you have done.. But, I would guess a valve problem maybe....

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies guys. Plugs looked good (tan). The idea ZXLNT had is a pretty good idea, but isnt it the same thing as a leakdown test. None-the-less it seems like an awesome way to diagnose the exact problem.

·
Kawpuke Extraordinare!
1,148 Posts
No need to do a leakdown test as you already know you have a dead cylinder. Just need to figure out where its leaking from. I would definately double check the valve clearances on that cylinder before I tore it down. U might get lucky and it be something simple..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts