Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What does everyone think of the store Cycle Gear? We just had two open in the DC area and I've been to locations elsewhere in the country in years past.

I like that they're open on Sunday when every other dealer around here is not.

However, the stores here seem heavily stocked with house brand gear under names like Bilt, Sedici, etc.

The house brand gear to me seems kind of cheap. I'm a firm believer in the fact that you get what you pay for with riding gear. I've bought a couple pairs of Bilt jeans, which have seemed acceptable to me. But they're just jeans to ride in around town, not serious riding gear.

Has anyone bought the Bilt or Sedici jackets, pants, or suits? Anyone been down in them? How have they held up? How do other riders on here feel about Cycle Gear as a store?

·
Registered
21,263 Posts
They used to be useful before they started pushing their house brand gear. First it started with their Frank Thomas gear, then they replaced that with BiLT and Sedici. They have since removed most of the non-house brand gear.

Now, I don't really bother going in. I prefer to support online vendors with a good return policy like Sportbiketrackgear or RidersDiscount.

I will say that I have a BiLT hi-viz vest. That does the job. As far as protective clothing, I don't have anything and probably won't buy anything.

·
Premium Member
45,772 Posts
I really like Cycle Gear. The store nearest me in Orlando had a cool staff, most of whom did track days and were knowledgeable and helpful.

I have had a few things from their store brand, and it's mostly been good stuff. I had a $15 tank bag that I used and abused for several years, and when I replaced it with a better one, gave it to a friend who got more use out of it.

I have a pair of Bilt leather pants that fit better than any off the rack riding gear of any description I ever owned. I still have them but they are a bit too big now, so they are cold weather gear, mainly, so I can wear layers under them.

Thank god for Cycle Gear is all I can say. Without them, we'd be at the complete mercy of online shopping or stealerships.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
They used to be useful before they started pushing their house brand gear. First it started with their Frank Thomas gear, then they replaced that with BiLT and Sedici. They have since removed most of the non-house brand gear.

Now, I don't really bother going in. I prefer to support online vendors with a good return policy like Sportbiketrackgear or RidersDiscount.

I will say that I have a BiLT hi-viz vest. That does the job. As far as protective clothing, I don't have anything and probably won't buy anything.
That's pretty much what I use them for too. I buy chain lube, cleaners, etc. I bought some bike covers from them too.

I remember when they had that Frank Thomas stuff. That was cheap shit as well.

·
Registered
21,263 Posts
I don't know anything about the BiLT/Sedici stuff, but I've seen a few Frank Thomas suits split open at the track from an off.

·
Hardass!
8,085 Posts
This is worse than the runs...just when you thought it was over...Ahahahaha...

Cycle Gear is cute...but overpriced in comparison to some items you can get online. deals and smeals.

·
Registered
61 Posts
The problem with CycleGear is that some of their stuff is sufficiently decent and some of it is not, which casts doubt on the "brand". I wouldn't steer anyone away from them but I am usually in caveat emptor mode when I shop there.

CycleGear is a useful store.....I just wish they took more advantage of their niche and really went all out with a wider array of in store options rather than overplay their in-house stuff to the extent that they do. They may be more "one-stop shop" than your average dealer but somehow I still end up ordering stuff online.

If you take the "get what you pay for" approach they probably aren't your cup of tea. Their brand is not consistent in quality so you need to shop their gear item by item without a brand quality guarantee to rely on.

·
Registered
15,272 Posts
Too much store brand, no sizes for me, expensive for the few things I would get

Competition Accessories way better, but I still mail order most, even from them. Beats the 20 mile I drive I had just to find out it wasn't in stock

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Premium Member
45,772 Posts
Won't your Cycle Gear order what you want in the sizes you want to try and send what you don't want back? Mine would.

·
Registered
825 Posts
I like them, It's a store with real people and products. The web is ok but nothing replaces being able to see fit and finish first hand. If the store manned by riders that is a plus too, experience with tires and other products.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I like Cycle Gear. The one in San Diego is crazy big and has a huge Dainese and RevIt selection that I really dig. Bought my 4-stroke gloves there.

I've got some Sedici stuff that's been fine, like a backpack, which has held up for a year of daily use now with 0 issues. Also have some of the Heat-Out/Freeze-Out gear, which is not bad and cheaper than under armour. I tried a Sedici suit but returned it as I couldn't get a good snug fit.

Biggest thing for me and Cycle Gear is that they are open on Sundays and have a fantastic return policy. Also, they change tires cheap and quick.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Use them to try shit on and find your size... Then order better shit at better prices on-line.

This is the Best Buy, go bankrupt to Amazon plan. You can't possibly pay for a storefront and stock inferior products, priced at on-line superior product prices, and pretend that consumers will stay stupid long enough to continue to frequent your establishment. Best Buy is finding this out the hard way.

You can google most info and learn more than the minimum wage earning tech guy at Best Buy can explain to you. Same goes for Cycle Gear. It's great for first time bike owners and it's a candy store for newbies. Then you learn a few things, know a little more, and start throwing out their fliers when they show up in your mailbox.

·
Premium Member
45,772 Posts
Whatever dude. I don't know how long you've been riding, but with your age you should remember a time when there was no place except a dealer to get gear and other bike related stuff. Maybe some little hole in the wall shop would have a few things. And if you wanted female-specific gear, forget it entirely.

I shop local as much as possible to help keep these places in business. It sucks when you want something, but there's nowhere to go unless you want to wait 2-10 days to get it, and then it might not even be what you expected.

Amazon.com does not always have the best price either. A lot of times they do, but it is not a given.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Cycle Gear is cute...but overpriced in comparison to some items you can get online. deals and smeals.
I agree. I picked up an AGV Sport Laguna suit for $350 earlier this year from motorcyclecloseouts.com. MSRP is $1000.

Better than any of that shit from Cycle Gear.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Whatever dude. I don't know how long you've been riding, but with your age you should remember a time when there was no place except a dealer to get gear and other bike related stuff. Maybe some little hole in the wall shop would have a few things. And if you wanted female-specific gear, forget it entirely.

I shop local as much as possible to help keep these places in business. It sucks when you want something, but there's nowhere to go unless you want to wait 2-10 days to get it, and then it might not even be what you expected.

Amazon.com does not always have the best price either. A lot of times they do, but it is not a given.
Not accusing you of anything, but based on your responses in this thread, I'd wager a large amount of money that you have either a personal or financial investment in Cycle Gear. Most of the Bilt gear they hock is crap and you know it. Nobody would recommend most of that crap to someone they cared for.

Do they carry Alpinestar, Dianese, etc? Yep. Think they stock it, with lots of sizes? Nope. Chances are you'll still have to order your gear.

Yes I have a local Cycle Gear. Yes I have shopped there and yes I bought a rear paddock stand and some riding gloves. Would I recommend the store? Like I said, to try shit on.

·
Premium Member
45,772 Posts
Wtf are you talking about, I don't have anything invested in them. But I like good customer service, esp when it comes from a place convenient for me and has stuff I want. Then I reward it with my business when I can.

Yes, they do carry Dainese, a*, and other good brands, in quite a good selection of sizes (mainly mens gear though). And whatever they don't have they can order.

The thing I've noticed about Cycle Gear is that they cater to whatever riding style they see the most of. There is a lot of cruiser stuff in the store closest to my house in Orlando - yet they still have a lot of sportbike stuff too. The one in Orange Park caters more to the sportbike crowd (or did the last time I was there) because of the large sportbike population around Jax. The one in Sanford is small, and seems to have a little of everything, but not a huge selection. And the one closest to me in DE is like that, small but tries to touch on everything. Maybe the one near you just isn't that good. But they aren't all like that.

Oh and by the way, the Bilt pants I got from them were pretty nice for a store brand and I most certainly did recommend them. In a thread, on this forum. I stand by that.

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
They used to carry a lot of premium stuff, but according to the staff there, a $1000 suit sits on the shelf for months, as do $500 jackets. They sell the Bilt and Sedici stuff like crazy because it's so cheap. And it gets people who may not wear gear otherwise to buy it and wear it.

I have one about a mile from my house so I go there a lot, it's a pretty small store but they stock lots of Shoei, a few AGV and other premium lids, they also carry A* and Dainese jackets, pants, and gloves. I've bought 2 Dainese jackets from them for good prices and I could try them on there in the store and take them home that day. I buy most of my chemicals there even though I can get them cheaper at Walmart just to support them. They also stock a decent amount of tires for road and off road bikes, and they're the cheapest place to get them mounted.

They have a ton of off road stuff but I'm not really into that right now, not much cruiser stuff though, probably because those guys all buy the HD branded stuff.

My girlfriend has Bilt gloves, they're not Held kangaroos, but they seem pretty decent. I also have some Frank Thomas textile winter riding pants and think they're great, took them on a two day trip to Maine and the White Mountains last week and was glad to have them. They're pretty tough and I have faith in them in a crash.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
164 Posts
I've bought a decent bit of stuff from Cyclegear, bought my first pair of gloves(A* SMX2) and riding boots(A* SMX-5) there and also my first helmet(RF1100) at my local Cyclegear. Since then I have also won a Sedici mesh jacket in a raffle and I love the jacket, it fits me pretty well and has held up pretty good for over a year. I also bought a former lady friend a pair of the Sedici full race boots, bought them because they are the only store we could find that had boots in stock that fit her and we needed them asap, and they held up pretty good while she rode with me for about 6mon.

·
Pit Bike Legend
3,339 Posts
I'm gonna side with AC on this one. The CG store near me is right down the street from 2 major dealers, and has a way better selection and much more helpful staff than either of them. Yeah, recently they have flooded the place with store brand stuff, of which a lot is junk, but they still have the other brands as well, and they are happy to order you whatever you want to try on, and can generally have it there quicker than if you were to order it online. Best part is you dont have to pay for it up front. If it doesn't fit or you change your mind, you just walk out. I have owned quite a bit of their frank thomas stuff, though not much of the newer brands. Both of my FT suits were decent quality for the price, and my current one is still holding strong after about 5 years of abuse, including one crash that it handled with no issues. My street boots are also FT and about the same age and are still in fantastic shape.

Their prices really aren't bad either, yeah they are more than online, but often not by much. Figure shipping, and the time you'll wait and sometimes it's a better deal to just go get it. There's a lot to be said for a store that you can walk into and walk out with that one thing you need to get your bike rolling again. I do a lot of shopping online and I'm always pinching pennies wherever I can, but I still shop at the local CG on a regular, though not frequent basis. I dont buy there a ton, but I'd miss them if they were gone. Case in point, I just signed up for a track day on friday, and need a canyon dancer to strap the bike down. No online vendor is gonna have it to me tomorrow evening, and it's only gonna cost me a buck or 2 more to ride over and get one. Problem solved.

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
23 miles away, and that's through Pittsburgh, not around it. I've never been there but once, and didn't look around. Just got my adapter for my turn signals and left. The only online places wanted $8 for shipping a tiny ass item. CG the adapter was more, but came to less after gas I spent compared to shipping I would have spent, plus I was curious as to what the store looked like.

I won't go back, I've gotten everything for me and my bike online. It's just the way I do things. No bad experiences, really. Seems like a good enough option, though.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts