Votes: 3 21.4%
  • I'm a ******* Coors

Votes: 4 28.6%
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
After having my rc for a while I decided it was prime time to do some wrecking on my bike for the better. The frame sliders had to be installed and cutting the fairings is neccessary to accomplish this. As everyone knows these fairings are not cheap so it takes balls to do it and to make it look right it takes some a clear head and steady hand :) I was a little worried I may screw it up and be the new guy to be laughed at at the hangout so attention to getting these holes cut straight was pretty important!! I dont have a step by step photo but this is some detail shots and ill describe how i did it...

tools needed...
2" hole saw
small pilot drill bit
masking tape
double sided tape
frame sliders

Leave one fairing on and one off. Press a piece of double sided tape on the end of the bolt that goes through the motor mount for your sliders. Slide that through the motor mount all the way until it hits the fairing. Turn it a little and get the piece of tape to stick onto the fairing then pull the fairing off..

Once the fairings off drill the pilot hole from the center of your double stick tape (get this right as you will be having a crooked hole if not drilled from the center).

Completely cover the area where the hole will be with masking tape. press firmly as the masking tape will protect your graphics from twisting and getting screwed up when your drilling your 2" hole

After your tape is on there then take your hole saw and drill it from the graphic side keeping the drill at a constant medium/slow speed and not at any angle or anything...

Repeat process on other side.

If you are careful it will be nice and respect will be given at the coffee shop.

* Its a three beer job*

Attachments

·
Registered
109 Posts
Your poll is screwed up. add #2 and #3 together

I prefer my bass & guiness mixed (black & tan) :)

·
rebel litre
3,748 Posts
Tarheelguy3 said:
Your poll is screwed up. add #2 and #3 together

I prefer my bass & guiness mixed (black & tan) :)
black and tan rocks! i'm up in upstate ny now and don't see them around here :alky

·
I own license2ill
5,679 Posts
im a ******* but i like bud its the king

·
Registered
321 Posts
Hey freakin, you got a pure winner there..Looks like you did a perfect job. Hit is dead center. And post this pics over on the RC51.com gallery. Or do I have your permission to post them?

Again, super, duper job.. :dblthumb :dblthumb

ceh

·
Registered
93 Posts
wtf........ No Canadian ? :alky U.S. beer just doesn't have the right flavor for me . It tastes watered down .

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
vote guiness man, i ALMOST put molson in there but picture yourself on a desert island with only four beers man is that so hard?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Heineken and Newcastle for me :leghump I've got both in the fridge...running out of excuses to put holes in my fairings :cry

Sounds simple enough, similar to the ROGUE site method. If ceh beats me to it, then I KNOW I'm a wimp... :nerd

·
Smiley Gladhands
3,050 Posts
I sure am glad that I don't have to cut the fairings on my 929 to mount sliders. BTW, what brand are those sliders?

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Those are sato sliders... no difference i guess since their all just plastic knobs you know :) I go with the bling factor on them! Cutting fairings is cool. If it's done right it looks trick as hell.

Yeah the rogue site i guess is where i saw it first but who has play-dough laying around???? :gay

·
Registered
7 Posts
freakinhungover said:
Leave one fairing on and one off. Press a piece of double sided tape on the end of the bolt that goes through the motor mount for your sliders. Slide that through the motor mount all the way until it hits the fairing. Turn it a little and get the piece of tape to stick onto the fairing then pull the fairing off..
You'll get a more centered pilot hole if you remove both fairings and place some plumbers putty or Play-Doh in the general area of the slider hole and make an indentation with the engine mount bolt.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
yeah playdoe is cool but you got that laying around? my holes are soo even i cant measure with a friggin ruler any difference around the cuts...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts