Sport Bikes banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Two Wheel Tuesday did a segment on 'custom sportbikes' comparing them with the lastest 'custom cruiser' rage. What do you all think? I think a 'custom sportbike' should be some super tuned maniac racing machine, but I guess the rage for 'custom sportbikes' are extended swingarms, damn tank tread on the rear, chrome'd fairings, and alot of other fluff bullshit that throws $50k out the window. It's kinda humiliating.....

·
Registered
206 Posts
10% bling is ok. Nothing wrong with changing the look, but when it starts to scream LOOK AT ME... I just assume leave them behind on a winding road.

Wait, its not near a starbucks or a parking lot so they wouldn't be out there.

·
Midnight Rider
415 Posts
when i hear custom bike, i think of bling... performance upgrades don't strike me as making it a "custom bike" like custom means one of a kind... everyone has exhaust and whatnot... if i had the cash, i would like to make my bike look nice, e.g. rims and a custom paint job. i do agree with the 10% bling though, sometimes people just get carried away

·
Registered
317 Posts
as with anything you enjoy, moderation is key...unless it's cocaine!

·
I own license2ill
5,679 Posts
they dont bother me one way or the outher i just like to see people out there riding it doesnt matter what they like to ride twisties,tracks,to work and back its there bike they paid for it let them have there fun. Afterall they might just like to cruze around town and they might perfer sportbikes over Harleys.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
I think bling sucks ass and performance bits are where it's at. Why waste money on brittle chrome and extended useless lowered bikes when you can throw on some Ohlins suspension, steel braid the lines, go gluttonous with carbon fiber, design your own bodywork, throw on some Marchesini rims and bathe it in custom paint without the typical cruiser crap likes skulls and flames.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Those Louis Voitton fabric seat covers are too far. I've seen at least 2 bikes now with it.

·
Registered
952 Posts
dennisred69 said:
they dont bother me one way or the outher i just like to see people out there riding it doesnt matter what they like to ride twisties,tracks,to work and back its there bike they paid for it let them have there fun. Afterall they might just like to cruze around town and they might perfer sportbikes over Harleys.

While I do agree with you that its great to get see people out riding... the people that make these bikes arent out riding them.. and the people they attract to riding make us look bad

·
Registered
107 Posts
I don't think the idea of visually customizing (sometimes the execution may be questionable) a sportbike is any worse than dumping hundreds or thousands into performance parts when the owner uses it as a street bike and can't extract the bikes full performance in stock trim let alone with upgraded hardware.

Of course, I'm talking custom paint, polishing, SSSs, undertail kits, aftermarket wheels....stuff that doesn't help the bikes performance, but doesn't hurt it either...now 4' long swingarms, 250 size rear tires, removing brake components, etc,....not my cup of tea, but if that's what you like, then more power to ya.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Louis Vuitton seats!! Damn...I knew I was forgetting something.

Seriously, bling is not my thing. I want to add performance bits here and there but not change the image a bit except for the hugger and undertail I have planned for the RC. I couldn't imagine for a moment lowering and extending my bike, polishing this and that, and splashing on some crazy paint scheme. But in the end, if it yours and you have the money...whatever rocks your boat man.

Mike

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
I painted my bike, but that hasn't stopped me from riding the shit out of it. It may be custom painted, but that doesn't make me ride any softer. I also would never do anything to my bike to hurt the performance. I think you can have tastefully done visual modifications along with your performance mods.

·
what R you lookin' at?
5,313 Posts
waste of $, IMO

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I know on Two Wheeled Tuesday they showed two bikes in the office there. One was a nice Suzuki with custom paint and some chrome. Pretty nice looking bike. Then the Busa completely chromed out. That wasn't all that bad cause it wasn't fully 'pimped' out. I agree with MobileSuit....alot of these custom bikes are just a money pit and aren't riding for it's purpose. I didn't save the picture of the guy that took a red Honda I think with a tank tread on the rear to the gap. They rode it thru the gap and it was pretty appauling. A slight lean brought you up onto the sidewall of this tread destroying whatever traction you would have had with a normal tire.

I'm fine with a great looking bike but people go over board with these features in my mind. My idea of a 'custom sportbike' is Rossi's M1.

·
Registered
558 Posts
as long as your on 2 wheels i really don't care what you ride, how you ride, or where you ride.

Some people on this forum are so damn critical of others, everyone is different, stop being so goddamn judgemental, if you don't like something say you don't like it but talking shit on someone for it is just immature.

And custom sportbikes are cool, if I had the money I'd trick my bike out as long as it doesn't inhibit performance. Some shit they do looks stupid to me, but beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I have a custom painted Busa. I have performance upgrades that would embarrass most riders. I ride my Busa in the twisties cause that's where I live. I have chrome,polish, and custom led lighting for the cool effect. I have over 22000 miles on a 2000 busa and counting.
I go to the drag strip on occasion so I am lowered 2 inches but it's adjustable, so if I want I go to stock height I can.All the mods I have puts the bike around 18 grand. My money, my machine.
And I have an R6 (my wife's actually but I ride it mostly) for knee dragging. I would not want anything that didn't have my personal flavor associated with it. My cars, my house, my dogs sport busa bandannas.

I like custom sportbikes :) :headbang

1 - 16 of 16 Posts