Sport Bikes banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm repainting a '98 cbr600 F4, all I know about it is that it was laid down and repainted very, very badly (spray bomb). Oil and gas from the bike has wrinkled the paint, All over the side you can see lots of scratches and some deep gouges. Here's some pics:

http://142.165.246.187/cbr

The tail peice(s) are what I'm concerned with, my plan is to reinforce it with a lot of epoxy fiberglass inside the tail and turn the 3 scraps of plastic into a single tail. Does anyone have a stock CBR600 F4 or know what kind of tails they came with? THe only thing I can figure is that there's a missing middle peice that was replaced with nuts, bolts and flat bar, you can see all that hardware on the outside, some painted over. Does anyone have experience with epoxy repairs on these panels?

In the one pic I pointed out the only 2 mount points for the rear half of the tail, and the bolts keeping the seat on. The seat covers the 2 bolts for the tail, but to get the seat off you have to remove the front tail panel bolts and bend the tail peice down out of the way while it's half mounted - not good for an epoxy repaired panel. Is there a better way to remove it?

Anyone know what the panels are made from? Most had no markings, but I found "ABS" on a side vent. I'll do float & sand tests and see, but I think epoxy primer with no adhesion promoter will do the job.

Finally... I was wondering how this bike should idle after a 1 hour ride and then sitting in the sun for 5 hours. RPMs fluctuate a lot and when you crack the throttle it stumbles and loses RPM before responding. The owner tells me it loses the hesitation when it warms up and we're wondering if this is normal for this bike or should he be looking at the carb, accelerator pump, or...?

EDIT: I forgot... I want to paint the top fork bridge, which keys have scratched the hell out of, it's in a really noticeable spot and looks horrid. What's involved in removal and what's it made of?

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
That's an F3 not an F4. The fairings in the tail are 3 pieces, but the bolts are all covered by the seat adn the side panels. That bike is rough, but gluing all the panels together is not the way to go. I think you have two choices. You can make the bike into a cool streetfighter without fairings for short money, or try to locate a set of fairings for an F3 on ebay. Check out the cbrworld.net classifieds too. Also, the biek should idle smoothly. The "fork bridge" is the top triple clamp and is aluminum. Don't take the whole bike apart to paint it. Mask everything and paint it flat black, or strip it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
f2benny said:
That's an F3 not an F4. The fairings in the tail are 3 pieces, but the bolts are all covered by the seat adn the side panels. That bike is rough, but gluing all the panels together is not the way to go. The "fork bridge" is the top triple clamp and is aluminum. Don't take the whole bike apart to paint it. Mask everything and paint it flat black, or strip it.
Well, it's not my bike so I just get to follow directions, and the owner wants a 1 peice rear end made from this, so 12 layers of epoxy fiberglass 18 inches down the inside of the panel is the best I can do, which I think will outlive the bike.

As for painting the top triple clamp while it's on the bike, no. I'm not into masking parts on a bike, I'm into removing them and doing a good job. I like polished aluminium, so I may go that route, otherwise base/clear with artwork. I don't care how hard it is to remove it'll either come off or it'll keep the scratched paint.

The owner wants F4 painted on both sides of the bike, why do you think it's an F3?

How do you jack this beast up? I have a motorcycle jack with 2 rubber padded bars that works great on cruisers, but this bike would rest only on the exhaust pipes!

So the hestitation and loping idle could be caused by... accelerator pump? That was my first guess based on the drop in RPMs when the throttle is cracked hard before it responds.

·
Registered
590 Posts
For reference, this is what a F4 looks like... note how you can see the frame below the tank, the type of ram air holes, the lack of the side access door, and the different rear wheel (three spoke).

Then look at this pic of a F3, granted a 95-96 model. 98's had the pointy tail.

The rear subframe is also rectangular on the F4 as opposed to tubular on the F2's and F3's.

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
Well the owner of that bike is a moron. If you make the tail into one piece, you can't access the tools or remove the saddle. Hell in order to remove the side panels, you have to turn a fastener then pop the outward. He'll break the new "one piece" tail. And, if he wants F4 on a F3. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
456 Posts
you can save that but its goin to be soem work. ive seen a 98 tail made into one peice the few problems are gettign it on and offwith out cracking. the other problem is your going to have to fab up a way to mount it. reason being you cant form it all together and still be able to use all the tabs. your going to hate that paint that is on there. if you dont get every bit of it off then your paint will lift. the triple clamp polishable. i did mine when i had my f3. take everything off that your painting. if you leave it on your chancing to get over spray over the bke

1 - 14 of 14 Posts