Sport Bikes banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ridin in the city, the bike warms up and usually stays above 210. Has anyone made a switch to manually turn on/off the fan, or leave it on all the time? Does the fan get power from the battery or from the alternator? I dont think it would drain the battery, but what do i know...

·
Registered
32 Posts
01cbrf4i said:
Ridin in the city, the bike warms up and usually stays above 210. Has anyone made a switch to manually turn on/off the fan, or leave it on all the time? Does the fan get power from the battery or from the alternator? I dont think it would drain the battery, but what do i know...
Lots of people do, and most the time all you have to do is slap one terminal of the switch on each side of the thermostat. Summer and/or city riding means they just keep the fan on. If your alternator + regulator are working, there should be no drain on the battery (depends on the system, but in general).

·
Procrastinator
36 Posts
It's not really necessary, as the thermoswitch will prevent the bike from running too hot, and the engine has to get to a certain temperature range to work at it's best.

·
Registered
456 Posts
yea i wouldnt do it. no real need to like he said bike needs to run at different temps. it wont hurt it running at 220 or so. when it gets past that then you got to worry

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i wouldnt keep it on all the time, but instead of city riding at 215-224 all the time, i'd keep it on then to keep it at the usual 178-190 range...

·
Registered
251 Posts
It will discharge your battery at idle speed. The bike is already fighting a losing battle (not charging the battery) at idle and this will make it "worse". How much worse is hard to say. If you have enough jiouce to run the fan, you'll have enough to bump start the bike. I think it's a good idea.

It will not prevent the engine from heating up. The thermostat takes care of that which is why the bike will reach operating temperature even if 30 degree air is flowing through the radiator at 60 MPH.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts