Sport Bikes banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Addicted Motorhead
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a 07 R1 that I would love to do a bit of SPORT touring on and also a little power commuting. :)

Would love to run some hard luggage on it instead of the nylon stuff for many reasons. No one seems to make anything like this. I have seen a couple of RARE cases where someone has fabbed up their own rack to mount hard cases like the GIVI cases to.

I have searched here and some other places. Anyone have any pictures of what they have done? Other creative solutions? Pelican cases?

·
18 Hours to Daytona
436 Posts
This guy stopped by our shop a few years ago. A few of us bought some postcards to help him along the way. His bike had a squarish rear rack that mounted three fuel cells that enabled him to travel to some pretty remote areas.

If I recall correctly, he needed to reinforce the rear subframe at some point.

But, to the point, these were completely hand-crafted, unique solutions for a guy who loved traveling on his R-1.

I've seen Pelican cases and ammo boxes used before... but not on an R-1 of any year. I imagine that if you're willing to lose the pillion seat, you could make something work quite well.

See:
Sjaak Lucassen | travelling the world by motorcycle | Yamaha YZF R1

·
Addicted Motorhead
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've seen his bike. Cool stuff. Wish I had that much free time.

I was looking at it last night. Looks like I can make a rack that should bolt on to the passenger peg bolts and back up through the tail by the plate bracket. Should look pretty clean, sleak.

I will post when I make them. (since noone else seems to have done it)

·
I can pass this guy...
8,167 Posts
This guy stopped by our shop a few years ago. A few of us bought some postcards to help him along the way. His bike had a squarish rear rack that mounted three fuel cells that enabled him to travel to some pretty remote areas.

If I recall correctly, he needed to reinforce the rear subframe at some point.

But, to the point, these were completely hand-crafted, unique solutions for a guy who loved traveling on his R-1.

I've seen Pelican cases and ammo boxes used before... but not on an R-1 of any year. I imagine that if you're willing to lose the pillion seat, you could make something work quite well.

See:
Sjaak Lucassen | travelling the world by motorcycle | Yamaha YZF R1

Sjaak! Ha ha, what a cool guy. He loves Kansas City. Last winter he took his R6 (and two friends) and went north into the Arctic. Crazy. HA ha.

·
You will be missed Shawn
6,508 Posts
I rode with Sjaak at Heartland Park...he's a great guy.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts