Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Custom exhaust, *updated*

I have started working on an idea i had for custom exhaust for my FZ6. seeing as i have all the fabrication equipment i need and dont have the $500+ for slip ons, i went out to the shop and started attacking it :)
http://www.merkurboys.com/pics/index.php?album=Motorcycle/Custom exhaust
So far I only have the muffler made up and partially welded together, ran out of shielding gas for the welder :\
I am slightly concerned that it will end up louder than i want, but it wont be hard to make insertable baffles for it.

·
Ride Naked
3,324 Posts
Man, I envy you guys who have the tools and abilities to fab up all this stuff!
Let us know how it turns out! Maybe an audio clip too if you can.

·
Registered
583 Posts
what size diameter are you using?.........
keep up the good work.........are you going to add tips to it

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the smallest diameter i could find in that brand/style muffler, 2.25". i am not planning on adding tips, i intend to enlargen the stock silver cover piece and slash cut the mufflers to flush them with the cover piece. that way it still looks stock (except for the larger holes).

·
Registered
583 Posts
thats a good idea.....by chance do you know the inlet pipe diameter
of the stock pipe.....(catback pipe size) i will be starting my own muffler
once i finish my naked conversion...
i cant wait to hear it ....

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i havent measured it but its just shade under 2". 1 7/8" or 1 3/4". the 2" OD pipe that i bought just barely fits over it where the muffler slips on.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
if i cant manage to hide it under the stock cover then i will be looking at the grill paint :p too cheap for chroming, and dont like chrome anyway.
ive got a roll of fiberglass header wrap that i am undecided on too, i am concerned that it will get things around it too hot if i dont use some kind of insulation.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
got it tacked together well enough to take it out for a quick spin tonight. i gotta say, it is LOUD! but it does sound REAL good. Theres a bike show this weekend that has a trophy for loudest pipe, i guess if i win it then i should think about making some baffles :)
Still need to modify the silver cover to fit, but i really like it so far.
Theres a couple new pics of some mockup stuff in my album, but it was too dark to take pics with it all together.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
got it mostly finished yesterday morning and took it to the show. it hit 148 dB, which put me in about 5th place. still have a bit of touch up and finishing work to make it look better, but i am very happy with it :)
will try to remember to snap some pics of it today with everything together.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Weird how inventions look so easy completed. But in the process, feels and looks next to near impossible.
BIG ups to you! Hope your idea goes far. Good Luck!!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
the cat isnt very large; any muffler you managed to fit in its place would do nothing for sound control.
the but dyno says it has a little more up top (i hit the rev limiter alot easier) but it really doesnt feel much different. I wasnt expecting huge power gains from this, i just wanted to be able to hear it :)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts