Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I work evenings in the mountains. The drive up there at 1pm is amazing, but coming back at 10 or 11 pm is terrifying; some of the turns are very sharp, and my SV650's headlights do not shine into them enough for me to see the lines. I have to slow way down just to make the turn.

Are there lights that you can buy for this? What do you do when you need to drive in the mountains at night? I really want to ride up to work with the bike as much as possible, since it saves me a bunch of money and is the majority of the time I get to ride.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Wire a pair of wide-angle driving lights to your high beam through a relay. Aim them toward the front-left/right.

Or get a bimmer:

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
The best advice is to not out run your visibility. You never know what could be on the road in front of out, and will run out of stopping distance before you can stop.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The best advice is to not out run your visibility. You never know what could be on the road in front of out, and will run out of stopping distance before you can stop.
My visibility around a turn is zero. Unless I am supposed to come to a complete stop...? My problem isn't that I have "limited" visibility I can't see around the turn. My headlights aren't wide enough.

I'll look into the wide angle lights, I guess. Do they sell any for the helmet that are strong enough? That way I can just look into the turn.

·
Live to ride
12,017 Posts
Curvy roads at night are quite terrifying, been doing it for 6 years.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I live on a curvy mountain road and it's kind of sketchy sometimes. I suggest just slowing right down like you've been doing, and obviously using high beams. Or maybe try and find a brighter bulb like a Sylvania Silverstar Ultra or GE Nighthawk Platinum. Wiring different lighting into a motorcycle has always made me somewhat uneasy due to the already lackluster charging systems. I'm kind of lucky actually, as my 954 has 3 H7 bulbs when the high beams are on.

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,894 Posts
SV650S has extremely good headlights, two H4 bulbs and both are powered all the time. If you need more lighting than you get from the stock headlights, you're riding too fast for the conditions, end of story.

At most, get a wiring harness with relays from easternbeaver.com , it will increase the light output of the stock bulbs, without aditional load, as the stock wiring is barely adequate. Second step would be to get good, high quality H4 bulbs, like these:

Original Philips Motovision H4 Motorcycle Headlamp | eBay

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
I have brighter lights, Sylvania Silverstar with default wiring harness on my SV650S, they're pretty damn good. However, short of riding the K1600GT/L you're not going to be able to do much but slow down in regards to night riding around bends...and just be thankful you have 2 high beam headlights and not one. :(

·
Registered
848 Posts
sometimes ya don't have a choice but to slow way down. was riding on my VFR with my GF thru the Hills at 10pm. talk about deer country. at least twice in that one trip, we had to stop at the end of the curve so the deer could get out of the way. so, yeah, we were crawling for portions of it.

·
freetors
640 Posts
I used to have an SV650S also so I know what he is talking about. The problem is not the brightness of lights, really they're great. The real issue is how modern headlights have such a sharp cutoff at the top of the beam. This is great when going in a straight line, but the instant the bike starts leaning your visibility range drops exponentially. Unfortunately there isn't a real fix for this. Running the high beam helps a little. The best thing to have would be some cornering lights like they have on some endurance race bikes that are on the sides of the fairings and point up and out.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Did you try to raise the beam up a bit?

The headlight on my gsxr sucked..... So I thought till I adjusted it. Turns out when you flip a bike it throws the beam all out a walk. (<------previous owner)

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Pit Bike Legend
3,339 Posts
You guys seem to be missing what the real problem is, even though it's perfectly illustrated in that video. You can have super bright headlights that are great in a straight line, but because of the beam cut off pattern they dont shine at all where you want them when you lean the bike over.

Helmet mounted is actually a pretty good idea. Look into some of the desert racing off-road stuff. I know I've seen some small helmet mounted LED and HID setups that those guys use, and if they are goin almost 100mph through the desert at night they must be bright.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
adjusting the head light angle upward, will aide the view while laid over in corners. Meaning set up your head light beam higher, also using brights will help too.

·
Registered
21,263 Posts
You guys seem to be missing what the real problem is, even though it's perfectly illustrated in that video. You can have super bright headlights that are great in a straight line, but because of the beam cut off pattern they dont shine at all where you want them when you lean the bike over.

Helmet mounted is actually a pretty good idea. Look into some of the desert racing off-road stuff. I know I've seen some small helmet mounted LED and HID setups that those guys use, and if they are goin almost 100mph through the desert at night they must be bright.
+1

At Deals gap it was pretty common for people to have lights on their helmets to do night runs. You just aim a bit down when you encounter oncoming traffic.

And the SV headlights are vastly superior to stock Daytona setup.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
507 Posts
Lol what is terrifying about it?
I think they said that earlier. Your headlights don't illuminate the road in front of you. In some parts of the country, animals, sand, and road debris are more common than in others, and the road is not necessarily constant radius or well-marked at the edge (or anywhere else). If you are not driving urban/suburban, then there are no streetlights; if there are trees, there is no moonlight either.

What the hell have we been talking about this entire thread?

- John

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Every bike gets an upgraded Silverstar bulb. Watch out for DEER!! The odds of hitting one are greater than you think. Deer are the reason I would not go fast in the mountains at night.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
I think they said that earlier. Your headlights don't illuminate the road in front of you. In some parts of the country, animals, sand, and road debris are more common than in others, and the road is not necessarily constant radius or well-marked at the edge (or anywhere else). If you are not driving urban/suburban, then there are no streetlights; if there are trees, there is no moonlight either.

What the hell have we been talking about this entire thread?

- John
I still do not understand what is scary about it, maybe if you have never ridden in the mountains before I guess. In WV you have to deal with deer around every corner, gravel and crazy ******** in coal trucks but I guess when you live around it you do not notice it anymore.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts