Sport Bikes banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been reading alot lately about newbie riders buying sportbikes and everybody trying to start them off on a easier level. I agree 100 % with that advice. I don't believe inexperienced riders should start off on a sportbike. This just got me wondering what everybody thinks of my decision. I started riding 4 years ago on my Yamaha tw200 street legal dirt bike. Since then ive ridden harleys, a honda valkyrie(sp), and a couple gsx-r's(point being just some different experiences on different machines). I passed the MSF when I was 16 and now after 4 years of experience I will be purchasing a 2002 gsx-r 600 as my 2nd bike. Im a safe rider and know my limits and how to control them, so good decision or everybody think im just a dumb squid?

·
Registered
5,240 Posts
Sounds like you did it correcly. Just shows how damn smart you are. Good for you and CONGRATS on the new GSXR 600... nice bike! :dblthumb

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies...Helmet, jacket, gloves, and probably just gonna stick with jeans and boots. Ever since they did away with the helmet law in PA i rarely see anybody wearing them. (Fucking stupid IMO) But who am I to judge.

·
Super Moderator
18,633 Posts
Mine was a 1992 GSXR 750, seen below...That was quite a few years ago...Sportbiking wasn't larger than life back then and wheelies and other stunts were impossible on that beast...

I had ridden dirtbikes for nearly my whole life and was riding a YZ250 when I got into sportbiking...That YZ was quicker than any sportbike I've had, short distance of course, so the transition wasn't that hard...

I agree with starting small, though...My bike was nothing compared to todays 600's...The new bikes are so light and powerful, they're just insane...My Gixxer was big, fat, and heavy, and would have gotten eaten up by ANY of today's 600's...

Attachments

·
Registered
10,767 Posts
sounds like you're doing alright to me.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts