Sport Bikes banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Or Canadian Superbike for those that don't know.We went to see the one Atlantic round of the series at AMP in Shubenacadie NS on Sunday.It's literally a track in the middle of woods but is always a great time as you wander around with a brew or three and into the pits and mix and mingle with everybody.Very laid back atmosphere and always has been.
Anyway,just a couple pics(a friend was there and he's a photog and is currently editing 1100 pics-lol)
Jordan Szokes # 1 BMW.Currently leading the series.

and a cruddy shot shot showing off my camera abilities of Szoke and Jodi Christie between turn 3 and 4.

A vid is here,if you get bored,go ahead to about lap 18 and watch the last 4.

CSBK - 2014, RD3, AMP - Pro Superbike Race

Almost forgot...one for Pred.:lgh2

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's good racing but Szoke and Christie were by far the class of the field.Two horse race here anyway.It would be nice to see the series expand and have a larger field with more depth.I used to go here to watch Miguel Duhamel,Steve Crevier,Pascal Picotte,McMurter,Mercier etc.Things are tough all over I guess but hopefully things swing back to how they were back then.
Christie's only 22 I think so maybe other young guys/gals will get into it as well.
He can certainly wring his CBR's neck.

Courtesy of my buddy Rob of Rodgers Photography.

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
the issue is that sportbiking in Canada is just not what it is even in the states.

There have been continuous rumours of Lloydminster getting a road track to match it's already existing supercross track. and Saskatoon has Auto Clearing Motor Speedway that should've been a tri-oval 5/8 mile with infield, but it was downsized to a 3/8 oval due to the drag track (SIR) not wanting to re-locate to the proposed motorsports park.

Edmonton has Castrol now, and Calgary has been fighting hard to get a track built to replace the now defunct Race City. Castrol is the only offering since Stratotech Park in Ft. Saskatchewan, north of edmonton, closed.

there just are not the tracks or support for a massive series here. However, I have often wondered why the AMA series doesn't do a Canadian stint.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Back in the early 90's they decided to run an open wheel indy car series here and the AMP bike track was to be widened,improved with more infrastructure etc.The bike people and track owners were pretty happy about it but the merchants assoc. and others in Halifax had a fit that the $$ should be spent in the city and not a half hour away.Naturally,they won so no work for Shubie and after a couple years they shut the series down altogether due to noise and disruption complaints from residents/merchants.Pfffttttt.
Still,with a population a tenth the size of the US and our half a year riding climate,it's a wonder we have anything really.Good to see some hardcore kids at it though.

Like this girl here.She was absolutely on it and so were the guys she left behind.The future series may have some hope yet. :)

Statoni Racing

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
bike racing in Canada won't go away. Calgary will see to that alone if they have to. you should talk to the people in the dealerships that sponsor race series. they are bitter about race city being closed and they are vehemently fighting for a new track.

Noise complaints arouind a racetrack always make me shake my head. you bought a fucking house or piece of property within earshot of a RACETRACK. what the FUCK did you expect?

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Urban mentality-many of them anyway.Retire out here to farm country and build huge houses then try to get the farms and other operations shut down or torn down as the machinery and odour interferes with their quality of life.MX track down this way has the same issue-you can't hear it from the main road but one old retiree is always trying to get it shut down anyway.

·
Giant on a Motorcycle
1,491 Posts
Wait Stratotech closed? Shit. The Rockyview Motorsports Park in Airdrie just north of Calgary is proposed to commence building in 2015.

Apparently Calgary has more motorsports enthusiasts per capita than any other Canadian city.
Moving back in 3 weeks.

·
The cake is a lie
10,153 Posts
bike racing in Canada won't go away. Calgary will see to that alone if they have to. you should talk to the people in the dealerships that sponsor race series. they are bitter about race city being closed and they are vehemently fighting for a new track.

Noise complaints arouind a racetrack always make me shake my head. you bought a fucking house or piece of property within earshot of a RACETRACK. what the FUCK did you expect?
In some cases the houses existed before the track: for example, Calabogie Motorsports Park (my local track) was only opened in 2006. Sadly, this means that part of the deal to having the track created was no racing... though there were a couple held some years back, which ended poorly. More info here:

CSBK and Calabogie...

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Wait Stratotech closed? Shit. The Rockyview Motorsports Park in Airdrie just north of Calgary is proposed to commence building in 2015.

Apparently Calgary has more motorsports enthusiasts per capita than any other Canadian city.
Moving back in 3 weeks.
Ya man. Strato is done.

Castrol looks kinda scary... I don't think I plan to ride it until something better comes along or a lot of concrete is taken out.

·
Giant on a Motorcycle
1,491 Posts
Ive never been to Castrol. Isn't it better than nothing though? Are you still racing at all Phail?

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
Any track is better than none.

Reactions: ford832

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Just minis in 2013. I was thinking of making the trips to Utah but it would be a huge pain. It would be hard to make that fit with work and there's always the possibility i would kill myself on the highway driving tired lol

I'm really waiting to see what happens with either the badlands or rocky view tracks. I might go check out castrol at a track day before the year is over. Haven't been on a 1000 since 2012

Cardel homes is paying to build a new kart track out in strathmore. That should be pretty cool when it's done in September

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
that pleases me. I mean it's all 6 hours away.

The big land development company here recently sold out to the tune of like 65 million bucks. they are big into charity shit, bringing new business ventures to the city, and buying useless fucking vehicles (who the fuck buys a ferrari 458 in Asskatchewan?).

A guy should go and convince them to fund the building of a short road course. We used to have a rather technical dirttrack back in the 70s but it fell into disrepair in the 90s. I know ACMS was 3 million bucks, and at the time it was one of not even a handful of progressive banked ovals in North America.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts