Sport Bikes banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,
Let me start off by saying I'm a newbie and I'm addicted to this site and my bike. Anyways, I'm wondering what rider's average RPMs are when cruising. I'm not sure what gear to be in sometimes or what RPM range I should be in when cruising down the road. Is there a range that's best for the bike? What range do you usually cruise in? Thanks in advance for the tips!

·
Registered
6,267 Posts
BCal7 said:
Hello All,
Let me start off by saying I'm a newbie and I'm addicted to this site and my bike. Anyways, I'm wondering what rider's average RPMs are when cruising. I'm not sure what gear to be in sometimes or what RPM range I should be in when cruising down the road. Is there a range that's best for the bike? What range do you usually cruise in? Thanks in advance for the tips!

On open two or four lane roads a minimum of 7000 rpm in sixth gear is what I cruise at.

·
Registered
419 Posts
I usually ride in the range of 5k to 12.5k.......... I guess that aint much of a help.
Just make sure you stay aat least at 5k to maintain a good charge on your battery.

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
On regular steets (up around 75 km/h) I usually cruise around 5500 rpm in 4th gear.

On the highway, I'm around 7000 rpm in sixth - except when it sucks (which is a lot) then I'm stuck barely doing 2000 crawling around at like 15 km/h in first stop and go. Brutal. :)

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
I love to cruise at about 6k, but you will find crusing where you like it.

Thats the best part about this bike, from 4 to 7k, its docile, and higher its doing what you tell it to do, without question. Some like high revs, some like to go lower. You can do both.

·
Registered
227 Posts
on the motorway, I cruze around 8k RPM/6th gear (around 90-100Mph) around town and in traffic, depends on my mood, if I am in a relaxed(but still alert mode) don't mind pottering around 4-7k in 6th gear, if in a slightly rushed aggresive mode, ;) can be anywhere from 7k till when the engine stops reving.. ;), but probably wouldn't call that cruzing...

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
KevinTheCake said:
Pick the gear that gets you 4-6K.
Dido.

I usually set my gear according to the amount of torque (acceleration) I might need. With traffic spattered about, or twisties, etc, then my rpm would be higher, say minimum 6000.

Once I am set with my speed, and don't anticipate any speed changes, then I choose a gear where my rpm is as low as possible (gas consumption, eh) but above 4000.

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
The FZ has a very broad range of cruising speeds for each gear. Ride wherever you want. Just remember that the higher the rpm, the more wear and tear on your engine.

·
Registered
9,600 Posts
rennsport said:
On open two or four lane roads a minimum of 7000 rpm in sixth gear is what I cruise at.
My F4i is doing right at 80 at 7K in 6th...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts