Sport Bikes banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody installed a cruise control/throttle tensioner on the FZ6 for long rides? I tried a Vista Cruise (the more expensive of the two "fits most bikes" models) and it won't work because the metal bracket that anchors the cruise control ring won't reach to any of the threaded holes in the switch housing. The manufacturer suggested the "Universal" model, but that has an ugly arm that comes up and over the switch housing to a ring clamp on the handle bar. I thought about pulling the switch housing off to see if I could drill/tap a hole in the right place for the anchor bracket, but I figured I'd check here to see if anybody has gotten one to work first.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,241 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,070 Posts
You guys are too funny.

Jazzcat, I put one of the Vista-Cruise throttle locks on (see the second link listed above). There's plenty of room to drill a small hole in the throttle assembly without hitting anything inside. Just pop the bottom off and look inside it. It works pretty well, and was only about $20.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,426 Posts
I put the ThrottleMeister bar ends on my FZ. They look sweet and work as advertised.

Only issue I have with cruise on the FZ in general is that it is NOT a torque machine. So, unless you are travelling flat roads, the speed will vary considerably when encountering hills (or even strong winds).

http://www.throttlemeister.com/
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,252 Posts
Heavy FZ6 said:
I put the ThrottleMeister bar ends on my FZ. They look sweet and work as advertised.

Only issue I have with cruise on the FZ in general is that it is NOT a torque machine. So, unless you are travelling flat roads, the speed will vary considerably when encountering hills (or even strong winds).

http://www.throttlemeister.com/
Yup! My custom made throttle lock works but I have to tweek its setting every 10-20 seconds, cuz of what you said.

Nonetheless, these locks do give the wrist is welcome rest.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,610 Posts
if i want to give my right wrist a break, i tuck, pull in the clutch, and coast, until i have rested it enough. i normally lose about 5 mph while doing this.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,426 Posts
skeleton said:
Yup! My custom made throttle lock works but I have to tweek its setting every 10-20 seconds, cuz of what you said.

Nonetheless, these locks do give the wrist is welcome rest.
I've actually found you can adjust the speed a fair bit just by sticking your body up into the wind blast or tucking in to streamline.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,252 Posts
Heavy FZ6 said:
I've actually found you can adjust the speed a fair bit just by sticking your body up into the wind blast or tucking in to streamline.
Cool! Never thought of that - got to try it this evening.

Makes for a good aero-drag calculation
:)
 

·
Ride Naked
Joined
·
3,324 Posts
Anybody have a clue what this deal is??? I can't tell if it's supposed to be a cruise control system, or if it's just an over complicated throttle side grip...
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,252 Posts
I haven't seen it before, and the picture does not reveal enough.

I don't see a tension-adjuster, so that is not good. I don't see a release lever, so that is not good. The cogged end looks conspicuous - I would be apprehensive if this is trying to achieve a ratchet type lock - yikes!

Without more information, I would stay clear of this one.

The other popular devices on the market seem much better. Hell, I even like my home-brew one better.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,070 Posts
From what I can tell from googling it, they're just quick-change dirtbike grips. The cog on the end of the removable throttle side grip mates to the throttle assembly that stays on the bike.
 

·
Ride Naked
Joined
·
3,324 Posts
fraggle1 said:
From what I can tell from googling it, they're just quick-change dirtbike grips. The cog on the end of the removable throttle side grip mates to the throttle assembly that stays on the bike.

And someone would want to do this WHY??? :confused:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,241 Posts
Grip and throttle all in one... (by Progrip)
Why? I don't know...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks everyone for the replies. Sorry 'bout not searching the site first - in the programming world there's an expression for this - RTFM. Fraggle1, your Vista is the same as I bought and your solution seems the easiest to me. I was gonna use one of the metal clips and drill/tap a hole in the underside of the switch housing, but drilling through the tab on the ring into the side of the switch housing seems loads easier and more secure. I'll give it a try this weekend. Thanks again.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,070 Posts
It works pretty well. If you figure out a way to get it to hold tightly when engaged, but still let the throttle move freely when disengaged, let me know. Right now, if I tighten mine enough to hold the throttle steady when engaged, there's some drag even with it disengaged. I could probably figure out how to fix that, but it works well enough for me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,241 Posts
jazzcatt said:
in the programming world there's an expression for this - RTFM. .
Not just in the programming world..
We throw that term around here too! :cheers
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
126 Posts
The item in question is called a flex grip for the left grip for off road riding.They let your left hand rotate a little as you change your body position up and down.This is so you don't find yourself changing your grip constantly.Less arn pump they say.
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top