Sport Bikes banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im wanting to take my bike to college..which is about an hour and a half from my house. I will be staying at school all week, and on some weekends. I was wondering how many of you guys keep your bikes at school and also have a car or truck there too. My school is in a fairly large city. (University of Southern Indiana, Evansville). I know you guys won't know the setup of my college and all...but I dont know if it is a good idea to keep it around there or not. The college I will be going to is one of the biggest party schools of Indiana too.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah..I haven't really been able to go up there lately to check out parking. I was thinking one time someone said you can pay a little extra to have your vehicle sheltered. I know I can be responsible with my bike there..and I don't think that theft is as bad there as a lot of places

·
Registered
813 Posts
Nothing like the cool factor of having a bike in college.. go for it.. just try to protect your baby the best you can.. Bike cover, Bike alarm and bike lock.. best would be to get a garage..

Congrats on going to college!

·
Registered
270 Posts
I had my bike out at college with me for 2 years. I left it in my apartments parking lot with a cover on it and I had no problems. I went to school in a city that has 60,000 or so people including the students.

·
King of Oilernation
1,237 Posts
Are you living on or off campus? When I had my bike I lived off campus and simply got a first floor apt. and parked the bike on our deck(it was covered by the second floor deck, plus could be locked to the railing) or in the living room. I put a mat on the floor and my roomates could care less. We had a pretty big living room.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I'm in the same boat as you.

I looked around to see what other people were doing with their bikes in my apt complex. A few guys have small trailers that they chain their bikes to. Just an extra $5 a month for a covered parking spot and then the one-time fee of the trailer... better than $55 a month for a garage. I went ahead and installed a hitch on my car and im going to purchase a trailer in the next couple of days and do the same as these guys.

·
King of Oilernation
1,237 Posts
My biggest fear in college wasn't theft, but malicious damage. So many kids either get drunk and destroy whatever they see, or you have the bona fide assholes that destroy your bike simply because they don't have one or yours is nicer. Whether it be people pushing them over, keying the fairings or in some extreme situations I have been associated with, pouring foreign matter in the crankcase or fuel tank. Drunks are by far the worst and there really isn't much defense to them except to keep your bike inside. If you have the money, a local storage site is an option. A little inconvenient, but very safe from people and the elements.

·
how bout dem deadskins
3,235 Posts
crotchrockets will get you laid here texas Univ. of Tx but i wouldnt recommend leaving it der

·
Registered
325 Posts
IT WILL BE STOLEN. Leave it at home grab it on Friday come back take it back on Sunday. OR find a buddy or chick with a garage. Do not leave it out, you'll learn the hard way.

·
Registered
548 Posts
I'm in the same boat as you. I live like 1 hour away. I plan on taking it up there for a while.

Just not liking the speed bumps at my apartment. :pisson

·
Professional Loser
319 Posts
I go to Clemson University and ride my bike every where. I'd be careful if I were you. Clemson is a small place with a large concentration of sportbikes. They are stolen often so I keep mine in a locked garage.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Leaving it in a college parking lot doesnt neccessarily mean it will be stolen. Its more likely that you would get some type of damage like stated above like someone knocking it over just for laughs or sticking a condom down your pipe :eek:nfloor Its happened before. Not to me because I dont live on campus and my bike is only in the parking lot between classes. On the other hand I know people who live on campus and havent had any problems. If you are gonna leave it there I would definately reccommend a bike cover and a wheel lock and if possible chain it to an immovable object. An alarm would be pretty much useless in a big college parking lot unless u are parcked close to your door. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
I had my bike at school but I also never had to live a dorm. I lived in house with my teammates so parking and stuff was never a issue. I will say this, bring the bike!! You will not believe how easy it is to pick up girls, for that alone it is worth having the bike there :)

·
Registered
501 Posts
I lived on campus for a long time. walked my dog every day around campus. i noticed which apartments had bikes and could pretty much tell what was different about them each day. normally after a friday or saturday night one or two of them would be laying on their sides.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Gasm said:
I go to Clemson University and ride my bike every where. I'd be careful if I were you. Clemson is a small place with a large concentration of sportbikes. They are stolen often so I keep mine in a locked garage.
whats up I go to clemson too, I'm here now actually for summer. I have my ninja 500 with me and will have it next semester living off campus at the reserve. Are thefts really that common around here? I haven't heard of such.
thabub

·
I am MOTARDED
3,089 Posts
I never had a problem with anyone ever trying to steal mine. well there was this one night..... But I dont think I'll get in to it here.
I always got finshed with mine and I would use it almost every chance I got to ,I mean my girlfriend at the time allways love taking it out for a spin and would ride it everynight and when we got finshed we would wash it and towel dry it to a healthy shine. then I would take my crotch rocket and put it where it would be safe, back in my pants wher i knew it would stay warm and secure untill she would ride it again. My sportbike I never took to school at that time I think I would have been unresponsable and might have got my self killed. I really dont remmber much about my 2 first semesters except dont sleep with your roomates girl its bad for rent and living together. and that when the the first galon of vodka and oj is gone the 2nd shouldnt be mixed with orange koolaid its a bad substute.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts