Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
SBN's Slowest Member
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone have them on there cars????? i was told those rotors would last longer and would resist warping. on my car the rotors need to be pressed on so its expensive to pull them off and on. would CROSS-DRILLED/SLOTTED BRAKE ROTORS be a good investment???????

·
Banned
730 Posts
I have slotted rotors on my autocrosser and swear by them. I stay away from cross-drilled rotors just to avoid cracking around the holes due to heat.

·
I own license2ill
5,679 Posts
If you are racing then they are worth it but they only offer slightly better stoping power, they are expensive. The only real advantage is they cool down better and faster.

·
Common sense isn't common
986 Posts
what kinda car do you have that the rotors need to be pressed on?

·
SBN's Slowest Member
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the rotors would be for my 97 honda accord. i could care less about more stopping power, i just need rotors that wont warp so fast. i saw on ebay i can get a set of brembo front rotors for $95.

·
#1 Gear Nazi
4,748 Posts
I had slotted rotors on my 92 Talon AWD, they were great, cheap too.

·
Banned
730 Posts
jluu6r said:
the rotors would be for my 97 honda accord. i could care less about more stopping power, i just need rotors that wont warp so fast. i saw on ebay i can get a set of brembo front rotors for $95.
That's too much to spend if you're not going to race it. Being a Honda, you have about a gazillion choices and believe it or not, Brembo might not be the best. I know they're not the best for my '91 GTI. Do a little research to see who's got a good reputation (usually at the opposite end of the bling-bling spectrum :lol ). More than likely, it'll be a Honda or Japanese only type company. That's what I've found w/ the German car aftermarket anyhoo. You'll probably spend a little less than the Brebos cost and get something better suited to your car and driving style. You don't want pads and rotors that only work when near red hot because they're really a mis-marketed race set-up. I did this to an older GTI I had and to this day remember how shitty those were. Noisy, grinding and no power except when THOROUGHLY abused.

·
Common sense isn't common
986 Posts
I wouldnt say $40 each for Brembo rotor is expensive but you can go to any Auto Parts store and find out how much OEM rotors are.They are a nice upgrade but if your not racing then I wouldnt worry about OEM rotors warping unless you ride the brakes constanly

firefighter81 said:
I had slotted rotors on my 92 Talon AWD, they were great, cheap too.

I did the same thing I had Power Slot rotor on all four corners with PBR pads... I did the Big Brake Swap on my 90 TSi AWD..

·
Registered
24 Posts
Damn Accords.. we have to slide hammer them off at the shop, then press the hub back on when the new rotors are bolted up. Looks like a dumbass Volkswagen design.

Factory Honda rotors don't warp very often, and they'd have the best warranty should they warp. Stick with OEM.

·
Banned
730 Posts
Noltez said:
Looks like a dumbass Volkswagen design.
HUH? All of my discs are held on w/ the wheel bolts and one philips head screw. Maybe it was the person trying to remove them? :twofinger

·
Registered
584 Posts
most of the rotors I see for Honda are in about in this price range:

Brake Disc Brembo IN STOCK $62.32 $37.91

N1000-28350 Brake Disc Winhere Manufacturing IN STOCK $26.25

N1000-28350 Brake Disc Mountain IN STOCK $38.86

N1000-129216 Brake Disc Bosch IN STOCK $48.51

N1002-134047 Brake Disc Set Sport Slotted Brembo IN STOCK $207.64

N1002-134046 Brake Disc Set Sport Drilled Brembo IN STOCK $161.93

N1000-28350 Brake Disc IN STOCK $58.68

This was taken from http://www.bimmerzone.com (you can get parts for any car from there, NOT just BMW)

On my car I run these, and they're awesome:

·
Banned
730 Posts
MZ6ZoomZoom said:
Also, drilled will certainly wear your pads much faster.
As do slotted rotors since that's what the slots are there for. There is no "out-gassing" of pads these days. Slotted rotors are made to actually remove pad material so there is fresh pad to bite into the rotor. From what I've read, the slots serve no other purpose.

·
Registered
153 Posts
vuu16v said:
As do slotted rotors since that's what the slots are there for. There is no "out-gassing" of pads these days. Slotted rotors are made to actually remove pad material so there is fresh pad to bite into the rotor. From what I've read, the slots serve no other purpose.

Yeah that's pretty much what I was trying to say about drilled too. I just don't know as much about slotted.

I have seen some benefit to slotted rotors in specific (usually high-heat high-performance) circumstances, however. That is certainly open to debate whether it's a real or theoretical gain however.

Anyway, yeah as you say, there's no out-gassing of pads these days. I agree.

·
Banned
730 Posts
MZ6ZoomZoom said:
That is certainly open to debate whether it's a real or theoretical gain however.
I use them on my auto-xer and think they help, but that's probably because that's what I think. :D

·
Registered
13,267 Posts
The mind is a powerful weapon..... especially in advertising!

Solid rotors make no sense. Why cant the Japanese get the idea from the people that know stopping heavy stuff and make the things hollow centered like virtually all American cars have been for the last 50 years and also Airplanes.... because the solid ones are cheap to make.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Krazy Hawaiian said:
Solid rotors make no sense. Why cant the Japanese get the idea from the people that know stopping heavy stuff and make the things hollow centered like virtually all American cars have been for the last 50 years and also Airplanes.... because the solid ones are cheap to make.
I agree!
For the most part, the Japanese way of thinking is to make things better, stronger, faster...but that doesn't apply to all things...

·
Banned
1,553 Posts
Another point to think about too is that you really can't machine slotted or drilled rotors (from all that I've heard), which adds up to a little more expense when it comes time to do your brakes....but not a significant amount. And if you're that worried about warping them anyways, you wouldn't want to machine them, since the more you machine them the more liable they are to warp on you. But still....slotted/drilled is overkill on a street machine. Only reason I see for them is if you've got some large wheels with a lot of open space...the slotted/drilled rotors look much cooler. But other than that....it's like showing up to a Miniature Golf tournament with a full set of clubs, a caddy, and a golf cart. :hshot

1 - 20 of 21 Posts