Sport Bikes banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Folks,

Been really enjoying my FZ6 over the last year and a half. In that time I've made two trips to the Smoky mountains from Florida on it. These trips were 600 miles each way which we did in a single day. 600 miles in a day wasnt too bad but I never did two 600 mile days back to back.

In 2010 I plan to partake in a cross country trip. Roughly 5500 miles in two weeks. Has anyone done something similar on the FZ6? Beginning to consider getting something more touring dedicated like a FJR or Concours for this trip.

Looking forward to hearing some long distance stories and advice.

Craig
'07 Candy Red FZ6

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Time

Mark,

I see your taking 16 days to do your trip. I have 14 and am thinking 6000 miles as well. Do you think this is pushing it or should I scale down my trip?

Craig
'07 Candy Red FZ6

Here's a link to this year's trip (I leave Friday, it'll wind up being a bit over 6100 miles): http://www.sportbikes.net/forums/fz6/400888-2008-cross-country-trip-planning.html

And here's a link to last year's trip (A little over 7100 miles, I met Caladin whose trip is linked above, we rode together for a few days): http://www.sportbikes.net/forums/fz6/367929-im-back-my-cross-country-trip.html

·
stayin' sucka free
1,394 Posts
I've taken my FZ on 5,000+ miles trips and been fine. It's a very capable touring machine, especially if you add some hard luggage and other bits and bobs. All you need to have a fun and successful cross country trip is the right attitude, not the "right bike." People have gone cross-country on scooters...

If you plan to do a lot of big trips, then, yes, you may want to consider a b***** bike... otherwise, no... don't buy a different bike for one trip.

IMHO b***** bikes are less fun unless you're constantly racking up miles and touring on them. On your average Saturday in the twisties, I suspect you would be missing your FZ6.

·
Registered
731 Posts
It depends on what you're doing I guess. We have about 5 days in the center of the trip where we're only riding 150-250 miles a day so that we can have time to set up our camp sites and see each national park we're staying at. We also have a day off. You can pull off 6000 miles, it just depends what you plan on seeing. Last year we wanted to see more parks but we knew we wouldn't be able to so we planned a trip (this year's) to be able to hit them. After this trip we'll have spent a little time at each so when we take our '09, '10, or '11 trip we'll have a better idea of which parks we want to revisit and spend more time at (one will be Atlantic to Pacific, and the other will be to Alaska, and the other will be Canada from coast to coast.)

·
Registered
731 Posts
Mark,

I see your taking 16 days to do your trip. I have 14 and am thinking 6000 miles as well. Do you think this is pushing it or should I scale down my trip?

Craig
'07 Candy Red FZ6
Also, instead of buying a different bike, wouldn't it be easier to swing another day or two of vacation, even if it's not paid?

·
stayin' sucka free
1,394 Posts
Mark,

Craig
'07 Candy Red FZ6
It depends. 6,000 miles in 14 days is roughly 429 miles a day.

Ask yourself how much of the country do you want to see other than blurred and whizzing by from the saddle of your motorcycle?

Some people just like to ride on trips... and reaching a certain number of miles or a specific destination every day is the goal.

Some people would rather slow down, take a more leisurely pace & see more along the way... and riding roads other than major highways is the goal.

What kind of touring do you prefer?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Great points!

Guys,

You all are making great points! I'm beginning to think that 6000 miles in 14 days is pushing it too much. My favorite kind of riding is the twisties. I LOVE the beauty of the mountains. I enjoy site seeing and photo opportunities of the countryside. We want to camp some and hotel some.

Our intention was to blaze from FLA to NM the fastest way doing about 600/day to get there. While in the Rockies my intention was to ride 200-300/day.....the return home would be back to superslab at 600/day again.

This trip will be in June or July of 2010 so I have alot of time to evaluate what I wanna do and see.

As for the FZ6 I'd prefer to keep it for this trip. I've received alot of inspiration from this forum from all those that have made similar trips on the FZ6. As I said I've done many 600 mile days but never back to back days like that. I'm thinking with some bike mods such as a touring windscreen, luggage and maybe a better seat I can do this. The FZ6 is the perfect all round bike as I can do track days, ride with cruiser folk, sportbike folk and even tour so why fork out three times the cash for a Concours or FJR???

Craig
'07 Candy red FZ6

It depends. 6,000 miles in 14 days is roughly 429 miles a day.

Ask yourself how much of the country do you want to see other than blurred and whizzing by from the saddle of your motorcycle?

Some people just like to ride on trips... and reaching a certain number of miles or a specific destination every day is the goal.

Some people would rather slow down, take a more leisurely pace & see more along the way... and riding roads other than major highways is the goal.

What kind of touring do you prefer?

·
stayin' sucka free
1,394 Posts
Guys,

You all are making great points! I'm beginning to think that 6000 miles in 14 days is pushing it too much. My favorite kind of riding is the twisties. I LOVE the beauty of the mountains. I enjoy site seeing and photo opportunities of the countryside. We want to camp some and hotel some.
In my experience, doing back to back big mileage days while camping is more challenging than doing it while staying in a hotel. Your potential riding day is naturally shorter due to time spent setting up and breaking down camp. Plus I don't always sleep as well camping as I do in a hotel bed.

Our intention was to blaze from FLA to NM the fastest way doing about 600/day to get there. While in the Rockies my intention was to ride 200-300/day.....the return home would be back to superslab at 600/day again.

This trip will be in June or July of 2010 so I have alot of time to evaluate what I wanna do and see.
Since you have so much time, I would suggest planning a long weekend trip where you do back to back 600 mile days. There's no better way to judge how hard or easy the back to back days will be, than by actually going and doing it. It will also help you determine what you may or may not need to do to your bike to make the trip more pleasant... seat/risers/windscreen/etc...

As for the FZ6 I'd prefer to keep it for this trip. I've received alot of inspiration from this forum from all those that have made similar trips on the FZ6. As I said I've done many 600 mile days but never back to back days like that. I'm thinking with some bike mods such as a touring windscreen, luggage and maybe a better seat I can do this. The FZ6 is the perfect all round bike as I can do track days, ride with cruiser folk, sportbike folk and even tour so why fork out three times the cash for a Concours or FJR???
Now you're talkin' :beer

1 - 10 of 10 Posts