Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So when I finally finish up college next May, I'm planning on riding cross country from either Atlanta to California, or DC to California. I know there are a few threads about what to bring on long trips and stuff, but with a trip of this magnitude, I know things might be a little different. It'll be a huge test both physically and mentally, but it's been something I've been thinking of doing for some time now. Has anyone rode such a long distance before? What should I expect. Also, I'd welcome any suggestions for routes or places to see, etc... I kinda want to start planning now because of the magnitude of this thinig. Thanks all in advance!! :banana

·
Bring It!
935 Posts
Sounds like fun man. I have a little advice I can throw in here. I rode from WI to FL a few years ago, it's not quite the trip your doing but it was quite a distance nontheless. The first bit of advice I have is don't over do it. I took a bag with 4q of oil, an oil filter, 4 spark plugs, a whole tool kit, a service manual, and some other crap I can't remember and I realized after that trip that that was pretty stupid. It was just a pain in the ass. I had it stapped down so tight the oil leaked all over the back of my bike. I was just wanted to be prepared if something came up but it was a little over the top. My second piece of advice is to take your time. No matter how long the ride is I think it takes the fun out of it when you just pushing hard to get there. If you take your time and stop when you need/want to you'll have more fun. That's all I can think of from my experience for now. I'll post up if I think of some more.

·
Registered
488 Posts
ouch.. after ten minutes my ass is numb.. make sure you get yourself a gel seat first. lol..

I want to do a trip like that too actually, me and a buddy were discussing it, just hasnt been practical yet..I would say plan everything in advance and mail your shit to where your staying if you have the money.. MUCH easier than trying to lug it all with you, much more expensive of course, but on that long a trip I would assume you have some extra cash. You gonna be doin this alone? or with a buddy? At least your an F4, seats are a bit softer... lol.. NUMB THUMB TO THE EXTREMMMMEEE BIAATTCHHH.. :)

·
Registered
5,025 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sounds good...thanks for the info and the sites. I might have another bike by next year as well, something a little more forgiving on the back and wrists, but we'll see how that plays out...I'll probably be doing this with a friend, but he's still trying to get stuff squared away himself. I know it's going to be pretty hard, but to me, to have that amount of time alone...just you, the bike, and the open road - sounds amazing.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
71 Posts
I went from Houston to the Grand Canyon in 96 on a CBR600F2 which lasted 10 days and 7500 miles. I brought hot and cold weather clothes, some food/snacks, a tent, a metal prison cup, Swiss Army knife or leatherman, a sleeping bag, wire cuters and bailing wire (yes they did come in handy!), duct tape (also came in handy...), sterno, lighter/matches, cell phone, AC/DC charger for the phone, a clear and tinted visor, sunglasses, lotion/vasaline/sun screen for wind and sun burn, and a 9mm. I ended up buying a 1 gallon gas can on day two because I was so far off the beaten path that 160 miles on a tank wasn't enough to get me to the next gas station sometimes. At one point in AZ I had to put something like 85 or 88 octane AG gas in that we hustled from some old men in BFE.

I also HIGHLY recommend ear plugs. Spending that amount of time on a bike will kill your hearing. Gel seat would be nice as wood some sort of gel/sponge gloves and or grips. Vibration caused numbness/needles especially in my thumbs after 3-4 days which lasted about 4 months after I got back. I thought that at first I had indices some form of carpel.

Good luck, be safe, and have fun! It'll surely be a blast.

Randall

·
Registered
4,400 Posts
Squid Killer said:
This is a post I started on the FZ1 website about some of the long rides I have done over the years (Alaska, NYC, California, Mexico, Florida, Canada)

http://www.yamahafz1oa.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=34670

It has some tips I posted and others have added to.
Cool pictures. How did you enjoy your stay in NYC? No camp grounds to camp on in NYC so I imagined that you booked a room at an over price hotel.

I'm planning on doing a run myself to either Chicago or Louiville KY

·
loner
201 Posts
i did CT to MN (via the interstate) and back (via the North Shore (over Lake Superior)) last summer on my D6. all i had was a tailbag and tank-map sleeve. i installed a powerport for my iPod and just listened to tunes the whole way. otherwise, bring the usual, clothes, wet weather gear, etc. perhaps consider upgrading any gear that you've been putting off on. i had a Shoei RF900 that didn't breathe very well and let in a lot of air from the chin, so i got an X11 and was very happy throughout. oh yeah, bring a camera and keep it handy.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks all for the replies and info. Thankfully, I'll be going one way (I'll be moving out to Cali), but I really can't wait for this thing to happen. Maybe on the way out there I can hook up with some of ya'll for some riding!

·
Superbike fan
871 Posts
I've taken a couple of long trips on the bike.

If you are going to do long stints I would look into a cruise control also know as a throttle lock. Then you can rest your right hand from time to time.

As far as luggage goes look at Nelson-Rigg. They have a lot of options and are usually reasonably priced and of good quality.

Next, if you don't know already know, learn about your bike and how it goes together. Do all the routine maintenance before you leave. Have a good look at hoses and the chain and tires. Maybe get a new set of tires before you leave because a trip that long will wear the rear out for sure.

Get some rain gear. Any trip that long is going to get some rain.

Ear plugs help fight fatigue.

There are a lot of great ways to go but 2 lane US highways are good because they usually have stuff like hotels and gas stations on them. And they aren't as boring as the interstate.

Here's a tidbit that you might or might not know: The numbering system for highways in the US are odd numbers are north/south routes and evens are east/west.

·
Registered
15 Posts
hell, if we're doing interstate trivia.....can anyone tell me what department of the government is responsible for the interstate highway system? i know the answer...but do YOU???

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
moochie972 said:
hell, if we're doing interstate trivia.....can anyone tell me what department of the government is responsible for the interstate highway system? i know the answer...but do YOU???
No clue...DOT?? Indulge us.

·
Registered
775 Posts
SpeedyQuaker said:
I know it's going to be pretty hard, but to me, to have that amount of time alone...just you, the bike, and the open road - sounds amazing.
I hear you. I have not yet had the opportunity to take a long trip like that solo, but definitely will some day.

Sounds like people have given you some good links and advice. I think you might want to look into risers for your F4i if that is the bike you own at the time. I have taken 4-5 hour rides and it gets to your wrists after a while. Also would plus someone elses recommendation of ear plugs.

Good luck with the planning and the eventual trip!

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
redcbrla said:
I hear you. I have not yet had the opportunity to take a long trip like that solo, but definitely will some day.

Sounds like people have given you some good links and advice. I think you might want to look into risers for your F4i if that is the bike you own at the time. I have taken 4-5 hour rides and it gets to your wrists after a while. Also would plus someone elses recommendation of ear plugs.

Good luck with the planning and the eventual trip!
Thanks...I'm definitely packed some plugs, and if I still have the Honda, I wouldn't mind investing on some risers. We'll see if I still keep it...it's a fantastic bike!

·
Registered
952 Posts
moochie972 said:

I wanna say its like the Department of Defense or something along those lines.

Another piece of trivia that I'm not sure on is, isnt 1 out of every like 10 miles of highway straight? Do you know what reason!? (thats why I think its the DoD)

·
Registered
404 Posts
Some of your questions may already be answered right here on SBN in the sport-touring forum. Stop on by :)

And BTW, I tour on a F4i and a 954. Perfectly comfortable and able touring bikes for up to 14 hours a day.

Here is my packing list:

gear/clothes

helmet
dark tinted helmet visor
clear night helmet visor
riding jacket
riding pants
riding boots
rain gear (jacket/pants)
rain gloves
summer (vented/perforated) gloves
winter (insulated) gloves