Sport Bikes banner

Creating a searchable index of PDFs

577 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  jeffo8 
#1 ·
Need some help with a thing at work. My Union wants me to scan all of our paper records of our grievances and court cases as pdf files, easy enough. However they also want me to make it so they can search the folder of PDFs for terms like "overtime" or "discipline" and have it return all the cases that deal with that subject.

Now if there was some way I could add tags to the files that would come up in a windows search, that would be best, but I don't know of a way to do that. Another thing I can think of is to use some kind of OCR software to make the text of the pdf files searchable, but that seems less reliable as it would return any case that had that word in it even if that's not the main theme of the case.

Another option is to just add those tags to the file name, which should work, but I might end up with excessively long file names for cases dealing with multiple issues. The last option is to just place the files into folders named for the topic they deal with, but the president didn't really want that.

So what seems like the best, most reliable option? I'd like to do tags, but I don't know how I would.

#2 ·
This kinda thing is what database software is really good at, try and see if you can talk people into using one of those.

other wise you can try and add a full descriptive title page with keywords and such to the front of each pdf. or maybe try building text files that describe each case? that way people can search the text files, read the brief, and then make up their mind if they want the full .pdf file.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.