Sport Bikes banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
SPODE in training
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So far I've only been jumping table tops and I tried doing a double this weekend. The double on the back straight at Ocotillo is the first 2 jumps in the triple.

Satuday I tried the double a couple of times and I took a big hit twice. I ended up landing on the face of the 2nd jump twice and That hurt A LOT!

Sunday Billy was watching me being paced by our friend Joe on his CR125. I cased the jump 4-5times but I finally cleared it twice :fiddy

Then I tried to clear it again a 3rd time - BIG MISTAKE! Joe ended up being in front of me and to catch up next to him I gased it going up the face of the jump :urowned

I basically ended up landing nose high and when the rear suspension compressed; the front end snapped down and blew my hands from the handlbars. Then down I went tumbling down the 3rd little hill. Good thing the bike went out from under me though - phew!!

But even though I crashed, I STILL did my first double :banana

·
SPODE in training
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
This video of me clearing the jump before the crash...

If you can see in the video, my neck snaps back when the front end drops after I clear the jump. I've never landed the downside of a jump before so I had no idea what to expect :dunno

The Double :O)

And here's the crash video...

So far I have two BAD dirt rash on both my forearms and my L hip is bruised from falling off the bike.

Crash :O(

I really SHOULD HAVE gripped the bike more with my legs and leaned forward when the bike went nose high.

I'm really mad at myself for crashing and I have a lot to work on regarding jumps but I'm just very discouraged right now :(

Maybe I should just stick to the table tops :bitchslap

·
Registered
13,267 Posts
Carolyn ! OMG !! Be careful!!! Geeezus gaaaa :eek: glad yer scuffed and not busted! Woah! KH Tip #9999b920055-a don't grip the bike too much... you want to be loose and comfortable on the bike. If you are tightly trying to hang on to the bke you wont be able to make the weight shifts you need to do.... also advanced trick that is absolutly MANDATORY to learn if you want to fly like the birdys... while flight the best way to control the "attitude" of your bike is either with the rear brake or the gas. Remember the inertia of the wheels will instantly change the attitude of the bike.... back brake while in air brings nose down, wacking throttle open will drop the back making a landing possible if you happen to be really outta shape from a bad lift off.... try these things on a small single jump it will take a lot of trying and very important is to get your suspension setup by a PRO... that alone will make a HUGE difference!! :dblthumb :)

·
Registered
13,267 Posts
After lookin at the get off vid it looks as if you got maybe a little frightened and let go... just a thot... thank God ya didnt go over the front :eek:

The one ya made ya did great!! Also if you have been going at it for a while remember that you are more apt to make misteaks.... :fiddy

work on your grip with yer hands... squeze a tennis ball. Do it rapidly squeezing it down as hard as ya can and hold antil your arm hurts, release repeate. Do this until you can crush and pop tennis balls at will. Doing this in front of the boyfriend before ya are gunna fool around will get you his attention too :dblthumb :lao

·
That's Mrs. Hawker 2U!
5,293 Posts
damn woman, you rock!!!! :) You win some, you lose some....as long as you were having fun until the owie moment!!! That looks like it could be so much fun.

·
SPODE in training
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Krazy Hawaiian said:
After lookin at the get off vid it looks as if you got maybe a little frightened and let go... just a thot... thank God ya didnt go over the front

The one ya made ya did great!! Also if you have been going at it for a while remember that you are more apt to make misteaks....

work on your grip with yer hands... squeze a tennis ball. Do it rapidly squeezing it down as hard as ya can and hold antil your arm hurts, release repeate. Do this until you can crush and pop tennis balls at will. Doing this in front of the boyfriend before ya are gunna fool around will get you his attention too
I thought at first that I did let go but my husband actually was watching from behind (he's the guy on the ground with the umbrella) but he said from behind, my ass got kicked WAY BACK on the seat when the rear suspension compressed. Then when the front end snapped down, my hands got blown off the bars. Either way, I F'd up and trust me I was SHITTIN' bricks :(

I'm just a beginner so I don't usually tap the rear brake when I get nose high - on the table tops I learned to lean forward and cut the throttle a little when I land nose high. I didn't do that this time :bitchslap What I also didn't do was grip the bike with my legs tight enough (double :bitchslap) And the third thing I didn't do was look forward - I'm use to jumping table tops and landing on the downside of the jump was new for me, I end up snapping my neck a little because the front bars go down on the landing (talk about a tripple :bitchslap ) I need to learn to land in neutral position!!!

I'll do that tennis ball exercise you posted - hopefully it will help! And thanks for the advice too, I'm always open to them! My bike is a '98 YZ and the suspension is a race ready set up for a 150lb person (I'm about 30lbs off that).

But gosh darnit, even with ALL my mistakes I did my first double :banana
Next weekend I'll do it all over again (minus the crash).

Another good thing about the crash is Billy keeps hinting about a b-day present - '05 LOWERED KTM 125sx (yippie!!!)

·
Registered
13,267 Posts
:) Right On Carolyn !!! Mmmmm KTM's :drool

Here's a funny lil "true" story from about 1972 Late in the year. Track at Kaneohe MCAS North Beach Motocross Track was a bit damp... so good traction, no dust. easily one of the best travks we ever had here! The Marines made it specially for that event. Only time it was ever open to the public.

I've been riding for many, many with some pretty talented people and gathered so much info just from following them around and *asking questions* and I learned that it ain't especially fun layin on the ground... :eek: in fact it SUX!
If I can possibly help or maybe lessen the ground pounding of someone I'll do it.... I hate to see people crash... spesh a friend.

So keep in mind I may occasionly say (good or bad, you must realize I don't intentionally say something igly with intent to hurt or piss someone off Just to make him/her aware of the possible mistake or bad habit they do...) what ya dont want to hear. But I've prolly been there before....

Something my Dad always reminded me of.... "There are NO stupid Questions" only stupid people that wont ask a question. They are never going to learn.... I didn't listen too well then either...

LOL Dad tells me and so did my sponsor, don't try to keep pace with any of the Euro riders...

When I was around 19 I was "big time" rofl... meh big time? Yup I was racing with the Europeans in the 5th International InterAm of Motocross.. (back then they OWN3D Motocross and would for many years to come) you may have heard of a few... Malcom Smirh, Brent Aberg, Ake Jonnson, Sylvain Geobors... more like I was on the track.... well sometimes I was....

They were lapping me at astonishing speeds... (they could have easily been mistaken for UFO's!) but I learned from them.

Things I learned.....

#1 the Million dollar a copy sub 180Lb 80Hp 400TM Suzuki "works bikes" they were piloting were insanely fast... Like a 500 GP bike... That these guys were riding these death bikes was a lesson in terror in itself... bikes then had 3-4 inches of travel max...

#2 they threw gigantic Dumptruck Loads of dirt, rocks, old refergirators and anything they wanted at you.... with forces strong enough to rip you off the bike..

#3 NEVER EVER try to keep up with them.... I kept the fast boys in sight for a lap or 2 then like a bad dream... I missed a turn, launched off the huge berm and actually CLEARED a 73 Ford Van pearched on a small rise by the Start/Finish line with the local rock n roll radio station peeps inside covering the race! LMAO I need to find that old Hawaii Racing News magazine.. I was on the cover! I wasnt anywhere near the track tho... .

I remember everyone commenting that I looked like my eyes were going to POP OUT of my head!! I was the talk of the pits for a few moments... hehe then a friend took over for me by being drunk in the middle of the day talking to the trophy girl in the back of my truck, she went to school with me and came to every race with me. Just a good friend. My buddy on the other hand.....thought he had a chance... he is talking sitting on the edge of the bed with his feet in the bed.

Debi was facing him on the oppsite side.

The laughter finally died down about my moon shot attempt but was about to erupt again from my pit as suddenly Doug leans back thinking he had a chair backrest to catch him and like magic he "dissapears" right in front of Debi's and I !!

He was Out Cold on the ground... Spilt beer all around him!

His pic was also on the cover just below mine :beer Debi never let him forget that :D

·
SPODE in training
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That's a great story Hawaiin - sounds like me at the track trying to catch up with the guys but my endings are usually more comical and end in either a dump in the corner or a crash of some sort :lao

I don't have very good teachers and it's hard to learn when a lot of the guys don't give me any solid advice or even tips. My hubby tries but it comes natural for him and he can't put stuff in words - it helps a lot though when I stand in a corner or by a jump and I watch him ride through them several times.

I would be so happy to get a 1-on-1 with a good teacher but that's not gonna happen any time soon :(

Till then I'll keep on tryin' and learnin' from my BIG mistakes :fiddy

·
Registered
13,267 Posts
^^^ Chin up!!! I wish I lived closer to so many of my net friends... thats the only problem livin out here in the middle of this big ol puddle called the Pacific Ocean... ya cant just "ride" over to see someone... :(

I know what you mean about having someone to give you a little closer instruction... especially after teaching several old g/f's how to ride. Them and 2 of my friends kids that loved bikes so much the older sister went on to become the #1 ranked Woman Motocrosser in the world! Ms. Chinnen They were a "matched" set of twins Corina and Carla. I think it was Corina that went on to conqure the MX world... she was simply amazing. I saw her beat Mercedes Gonzalzas a dozen years back and dam if I couldnt help but cry when she won!!! Hads I felt like I was her Dad almost! Her Dad was a drunk that unfortunatly like most drunks loved his kids dearly but drinking meant more to him so the kids were almost like foster kids... They hung out with whoever provided the most laffs to get away from Dad and his flip outs when he would drink and have flashbacks to Vietnam... Poor guy wasnt right... Kids just didnt like being home. They were at my shop across the street from where there Dad lived he said fine, as long as I know there with you its OK.
Wasnt long before they were on bikes :)

Dad wasnt real excited abiout it but after hearing them excitedly tell him how much fun they always had he was ok with it.

He finally bought the girls bikes of there own and I'll be dammed if that wasnt the best thing ever happened for there family.... Maybe a year later he was taking them riding instead of me doing it... A year or so later the older daughter wanted to race... Dad was 100% behind her now along with me! Was such a killer experience to see all that happen, all from a stupid fool on a dirtbike that jsut had to showoff <-- me of course... hehe brought out the greatness hidden in a little girl that could have as easily went on to be a supermodel but beat the world on a bike instead!

·
Registered
156 Posts
You Might Try a website I found call www.thumpertalk.com... Got the MX Riding techniques section...

You might also try

http://www.dirtrider.com/

http://www.transworldmotocross.com/mx/how_to/0,20545,,00.html

They have how to riding sections the info is invaluable..

Btw Watching other riders is a good way to learn. There is a lot that goes on in the air you don't notice. Your Friend in the first video blipped the throttle to drop the front end to land on the jumps downside. Where you landed rear first. If you notice on the takeoff side he kept a constant throttle to keep the rear sups from over compressing.

Keep working on throttle control in the air on table tops or smaller jumps until you get comfortable with doubles. And as usual wear your gear.

You can prevent a lot of dirt rash by wearing Forearm/Elbow guards and Knee/Shin guards(if you don't wear knee braces). Chest protectors help with roost but also help keep the contact points on your back and shoulders from getting rash as well. Gearing up doesn't only apply to street.

Good Luck and Stay Safe.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Glad to see your ok, congrats on the double I know you where happy when you cleared it. To bad though, the video's aren't working.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts