Sport Bikes banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
learning to ride
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all. Just went through a harrowing experience. I was driving home a little after midnight on the US10 freeway between downtown L.A. and the beach. I was doing whatever the rest of traffic was doing, in the second lane from the right. I'd actually just gotten on the freeway, otherwise I'd probably have moved over to the "fast" lane. The car in front of me hit it's brakes lights and started decelerating fast. I hit my front brakes hard, and brought me speed down to about 30-40 mph. All of a sudden there was that sickening crash sound. The car in front of me came to an absolute dead stop. I swerved right to avoid it, continuing to slow down, but trying not to dead stop for fear of what might come out of the on ramp not far behind me. Only it turns out, the car that had been hit ricocheted into a spin right in my path. I swerved left to avoid it, but turned the wheel too quickly. As the ricocheted car flew across the barrier and into the access road on the other side of the highway, I low-sided doing about 20-30 mph. Fortunately for me, the bike (and me) came to rest in front of the car I'd been following. As a result, follow up traffic came to a mostly ample stop. I say mostly, because one of the other cars subsequently was hit by two cars at full speed. A heads up driver did stop in time in the next lane over, and blocked that lane- which was between me and the safety strip. A fellow rider, he helped me over to the safety strip and called 911. I'm guessing the driver of the spinning car was drunk, given that he fled the scene on foot- not to be seen again while the paramedics were treating me.

The total damage to my bike looks to be a ground down frame slider, and some grind damage to the front fairing. That's it. In fact, I rode it home. Unfortunately, my Vanson is going to need some hefty (and expensive) repairs. I also did a pretty solid job on my gloves, and ground a hole through my overpants (both the pants and the knee armor). There's a slight nick in my helmet, so I must have hit my head too. Damage to me is mostly soreness, plus a nasty bump on the leg that landed under the bike, and some black and blue nails on one hand. I think my hand hit the ground pretty hard.

Looking at the damage to my overpants, I'm very, very glad I put something over my jeans every time I ride. I'd have been f*cked otherwise. I'm also thankful for the dozen or so acts of god that kept the entirety of the accident from being worse. So far as I can tell, none of the other drivers was notably injured.

OK. Time to try to lose the excitement and pass out. I'll think about the lessons learned in the morning.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Really glad to hear you're ok after all that, dude. It's also cool that your bike is ridable. I ride that stretch of the 10 all the time and I would have shiat myself if that happened to me. Keep lookin on the bright side.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Wow. Sorry to hear about your accident. I'm glad you were wearing your gear. Good thing for those overpants. Some people thing gear is just a jacket, helmet and gloves.

·
Face is a Maserati!!!
1,161 Posts
So how are you doing this morning? Some more soreness must have come out I imagine...

Happy to see you faired pretty good overall! That kind of accident coulda been soooo much worse for you!!!

I personnally dislike riding in heavy traffic. I want to leave more space in front of me but cars that are following tend to tailgate because they can see around, and in front of the rider, very well.

That's when i usually turn my upper body around and with an open hand, palm facing the driver, fingers pointing up (all), politely/slowly indicate to the cager to 'back off'. Usually works!!!

Gald you're OK!

·
Cogito, ergo moto
166 Posts
Glad you're ok, and that you were geared up and had frame sliders. Hope nothing's worse in the daylight (for you or the bike.)

·
Registered
119 Posts
Sounds like the "Gods" are working hard this week. Great to hear you are OK and mobile. Hope you have a speedy recovery.

·
Dirty Sanchez
1,180 Posts
glad to hear you're ok and that the bike held up well. sounds like things could've been a lot worse- be thankful (as we all are) they weren't.
apor

·
Long Distance Rider
353 Posts
Glad you're OK. It's good to always wear riding gear.

·
Registered
48 Posts
227fz said:
Glad you're OK. It's good to always wear riding gear.
Aside from what lead up to it your accident sounds exactly like mine two weeks ago, glad to hear everything is alright, wish I had the frame sliders at the time.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Your choice to lay it down was the smartest thing to do. Head-on on a bike is zero fun. This reinforces why I have all that gear and wear it rain or shine.

It great to have you here to tell the story and nice to know that all the money spent was more than worth it. You gear and heads-up, split-second choices saved you a lot of pain and suffering. Getting right back on the bike was a great choice.

I do believe I'd have to launder my pants if that happened to me. I only had to lay a bike down once... many years ago. Slid with it and bounced off the bumper of the car that stopped abruptly in front of me. It's a rude awakening that I'd never wish on anyone, but it better prepares you for the next time a cager goes wild. I'll take a low side over a high ANY day!

Hope you are feeling better today but I think it will be a couple days before you really start to heal.

·
learning to ride
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Took some pictures of the damage to my bike. It's mostly superficial. The front signal light came detached too, but it still operates. I think it can be reseated and all will be well. As you can tell, I went down on striated concrete. I have some pictures of my gear that I'll try to upload later. That's actually where most of the real damage is.

In retrospect, I'm pretty sure what happened is that I grabbed some front break on the second swerve when I should have/could have tried to drive through it. Everything was moving so fast though- I don't think I'd have done too much differently in the same situation again. Going down in front of the stopped car was probably a blessing, and given the minimal damage to me and the bike, I'm thinking it's all A.O.K.

Thanks for all the support. This is a great forum!

·
learning to ride
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
dparadis said:
So how are you doing this morning? Some more soreness must have come out I imagine...

I personnally dislike riding in heavy traffic. I want to leave more space in front of me but cars that are following tend to tailgate because they can see around, and in front of the rider, very well.
Actually- I'm better than I was expecting. I've got a some bruising on the hand than I landed on, but the soreness is actually not nearly what I was expecting. I've felt worse after snow boarding.

+1 on the tailgating issues in this kind of traffic. I wish I had more space between me and the car in front of me too, but I'm sure that if there was more space, another car would simply fill it in. That's just how it goes around here.

The one thing that really stood out is that NO ONE out there can see anything in the dark. A good 45 seconds went by between the first collisions, and the last. It's like Russian Roulette- eventually someone that's fiddling with their radio or talking on their phone is going to head into the tangled mess and what happens is what happened.

·
I like curves.
2,090 Posts
wow man, that was a real close call huh?, i ride US10 almost everyday and i pictured everything clearly as i was reading your post, gotta say, very good job not hurting yourself in a freeway crash
im glad you came out fine from a real serious situation like that..
be safe

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
So let me get this straight. Crashing in the first place had nothing to do with God, but the lack of severity was all God's doing? Religious people drive me crazy... :)

·
Registered
7,222 Posts
wow. real glad to hear yer ok. Bike doesnt look too bad, so thats ok too. Funny how all the gear haters are pretty silent right now.

cheers.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts