Sport Bikes banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at Grattan yesterday, doing a private trackday, and I managed to lowside in turn 3. Trying to improve my corner speed, and I set up a little late. Turn 3 is an off-camber, down and up to the left turn. Pretty scary in a good pass. Check out pics on my site:

http://www.wryday.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=763

The LSL slider did it's thing! It's destroyed, but the bike isn't. :)

Cheers!

·
Livin' on the Edge!
1,461 Posts
Sorry to hear you fell but great job to get back on it. Front end work would be a good idea if you enjoy the track and plan to do it again..and again...and again....

I'm glad to see another brave soul out there running with the dogs.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I did the fork oil already, and that made a big difference, but there is tons of room for improvement. I am really pushing my girl to the edge. I am keeping up pretty well with guys on serious bikes... or at least impressing them. They look at my bike and back at me... then say wow, you are doing really well on -that- bike. Heh. Yeah... don't underestimate the FZ6. That said, I think I would like a track bike. :p Poor girl is a little scarred up now.

·
Livin' on the Edge!
1,461 Posts
FazeX said:
Yeah, I did the fork oil already, and that made a big difference, but there is tons of room for improvement. I am really pushing my girl to the edge. I am keeping up pretty well with guys on serious bikes... or at least impressing them. They look at my bike and back at me... then say wow, you are doing really well on -that- bike. Heh. Yeah... don't underestimate the FZ6. That said, I think I would like a track bike. :p Poor girl is a little scarred up now.
Sounds like you have a track bike now. :)

·
Registered
828 Posts
FazeX said:
Poor girl is a little scarred up now.
Yeah I winced looking over the rash on her. What FAZR6 said. I'm probably headed for a similar result someday. Oh well, the damage is relatively light and not too costly to repair. Glad your get-off was otherwise OK.

The guy who crashed in front of me on my track day also did it on an off-camber turn with elevation change.

I've shopped around for a used R6 for the track but I'm holding off until my diagnosis as a trackaholic is more certain. Hoping I can hold out until I feel ready for an R1 actually.

·
Livin' on the Edge!
1,461 Posts
Kneedragger said:
Yeah I winced looking over the rash on her. What FAZR6 said. I'm probably headed for a similar result someday. Oh well, the damage is relatively light and not too costly to repair. Glad your get-off was otherwise OK.

The guy who crashed in front of me on my track day also did it on an off-camber turn with elevation change.

I've shopped around for a used R6 for the track but I'm holding off until my diagnosis as a trackaholic is more certain. Hoping I can hold out until I feel ready for an R1 actually.
For a designated track bike, stick with a 600 or 750 max. You'll have more fun and not have to stress as much about your twist.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
I agree!

FAZR6 said:
For a designated track bike, stick with a 600 or 750 max. You'll have more fun and not have to stress as much about your twist.
I would stick with a 600 for a track bike. I don't like to worry about having that much power to control when I'm instead trying to concentrate mainly on handling.

I was hoping to do a track day on the FZ6 this year, like I did last year, but with my recent marriage and house purchase, I have no time at all. Plus, I'd like to install my R6 forks/brakes first and I haven't done that yet or finished buying the parts (braided brake lines, R6 spacers). Plus, the biggie, is that my tires have plenty of street life left, but I wouldn't do a track day without replacing them, and I'd like to hold off until next year. Frame sliders are on my purchase list too, but I still haven't picked a brand.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, I am looking at an R6 or an SV for a track bike. I can't really afford two bikes, though, which really tears at my heart. I do love my FZ... she is a sweety. I've started learning some simple stunts, ie wheelies and stoppies, just so I know where her limits are in other ways. Very capable bike... so many people are surprised at what she can do.

·
Registered
581 Posts
FazeX said:
I was at Grattan yesterday, doing a private trackday, and I managed to lowside in turn 3. Trying to improve my corner speed, and I set up a little late. Turn 3 is an off-camber, down and up to the left turn. Pretty scary in a good pass. Check out pics on my site:

http://www.wryday.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=763

The LSL slider did it's thing! It's destroyed, but the bike isn't. :)

Cheers!
Not that Bad At All. I'm impressed w. those Sliders = a worth-while investment. Plastic and Brake Lever shouldn't be too expensive and the experience you've gained from the event might well save you out there in the twisties some day. Cheers.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
H8_Rain said:
Fazex, is that your Miata in the pics? Is it a Mariner or Laguna Blue?
It's my brother's miata. It's a 90 Laguna. We race Autocross SCCA SoloII. I actually raced as codriver in a different miata a couple weekends ago and beat my bro in that car. Hahah. He was talking so much sh*t, and it was my first auto race of the year, since I've been focusing on the bike. Hopefully that will teach him... but not likely. You got a miata? They are fun little cars.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
FazeX:

I had a similar lowslide at my track about a month ago. Your pictures showed similar damage I incurred, even though my slide was much slower than yours, at about 35 mph.

After $300 my bike was (almost) as good as new. So will yours.

Glad to hear no real harm was done.

Ride safe.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts