Sport Bikes banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
FZ6 baby!
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started having problems after 3 days of very heavy rain. Bike parked outside entire time with no cover.

I did a search on this forum before posting this...

I'm getting error code 12

I went into Diag Mode and my Battery Voltage is 11.6 so I doubt it's a low battery issue.

Connecting the pocket tester to the crankshaft position sensor coupler comes up with a reading well below the 248-372 range it gives in the service manual. Unless I am reading the scale wrong? Also, I'm not entirely positive I did the test right.

I found out from the search how to reset the diag history, so I will try that when I get to the garage (a few miles away from my apartment). I'm hoping I just did the test wrong and all will be well after I reset the codes. If it still doesn't start, I will try the pocket tester again and see if I get anything different.

If it IS the sensor, how hard is it to change out? Near as I can tell from the manual, it's located inside the crankcase?? :( Has anyone heard of this sensor going bad? I have ~35,000 miles on my FZ6.

Any thoughts! Thanks!

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
11.6 volts is low! Charge it up before running diagnostics!!

If it still doesn't start after charging the battery, try putting it in gear and rock it back and forth until you get the crankshaft to turn some, then try starting it.

·
FZ6 baby!
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
11.6 volts is low! Charge it up before running diagnostics!!
Really? I thought it was close to 12v. The manual doesn't give a range though, I guess "close" is relative, lol. What is a good range?

If it still doesn't start after charging the battery, try putting it in gear and rock it back and forth until you get the crankshaft to turn some, then try starting it.
Will do! Thanks

·
Registered
616 Posts
Really? I thought it was close to 12v. The manual doesn't give a range though, I guess "close" is relative, lol. What is a good range?

Will do! Thanks
12.6v is average voltage for what a 12v battery should be at.....

·
Banned
1,222 Posts
dry out all the connections you can get to....spray WD40 in them if need be. 3 days of heavy rain can cause you all sorts of starting issues if the wrong connector got wet

·
FZ6 baby!
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Got her started! :banana

Cleared out the error code history. Turned off the bike, turned her on again, hit the starter...no vroom vroom...but no error code showing either. Waited a few minutes, tried to start her again with a little gas and she fired right up!

Still not sure what exactly caused it all or what exactly fixed it...but at least she's a purring again :dblthumb

·
Registered
301 Posts
Most solid state components either work or they don't...there's no in-between. If your crankshaft sensor failed, it would stop working, period. It doesn't magically start working again. It's usually a connection issue when there's an intermittent problem. Try disconnecting every connection you can get your hands on and spray them with contact cleaner.
I would also charge up that battery...it IS low. This will mean that your starter will draw all of the available power, leaving nothing for the ignition/fuel injection circuit.....ergo no start.

·
FZ6 baby!
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Actually, turns out the battery was at 12.4v when I tested it directly with my probe. Don;t know why the Diag Mode showed 11.6?

Figured it must be a connection issue. I plan on doing what you suggested plus dielectric grease.

·
Another day lived!
2,288 Posts
Make sure your battery terminals and connections are not corroded.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I started having problems after 3 days of very heavy rain. Bike parked outside entire time with no cover.

I did a search on this forum before posting this...

I'm getting error code 12

I went into Diag Mode and my Battery Voltage is 11.6 so I doubt it's a low battery issue.

Connecting the pocket tester to the crankshaft position sensor coupler comes up with a reading well below the 248-372 range it gives in the service manual. Unless I am reading the scale wrong? Also, I'm not entirely positive I did the test right.

I found out from the search how to reset the diag history, so I will try that when I get to the garage (a few miles away from my apartment). I'm hoping I just did the test wrong and all will be well after I reset the codes. If it still doesn't start, I will try the pocket tester again and see if I get anything different.

If it IS the sensor, how hard is it to change out? Near as I can tell from the manual, it's located inside the crankcase?? :( Has anyone heard of this sensor going bad? I have ~35,000 miles on my FZ6.

Any thoughts! Thanks!
How did you reset the codes? I'm having the same issue but I changed the crankshaft ignition cover and now it will crank but wont start. Ran perfect before.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Have you checked the fuses? What year FZ6?

Did you just replace the cover or the crankshaft position sensor? Did you remove the pickup rotor?

Does the engine warning light flash when you press the start button? Fault code? (It only shows the lowest number code if there are multiple codes)

To enter Diagnostic mode:

Key OFF
Engine run switch to OFF
Disconnect the fuel pump wire harness
Simultaneously press and hold "SELECT" and "RESET" buttons, turn the key switch to ON, keep pressing the "SELECT" and "RESET" buttons for 8 seconds or more.

All displays should disappear except the clock and trip meter. diaG should appear on the display.
------------------
Press the SELECT button to change between CO and dIAG modes. Once dIAG is selected, silmiltaneously press SELECT and RESET buttons for 2 seconds or more to execute the selection.

Now you can scroll thru the diagnostic code numbers using the SELECT or RESET buttons. (01-70)

61 is the code display setting that will show you all the current codes. (12 is for the crankshaft position sensor receiving no signals.)

62 is the code erase setting. It will show the total number of codes present. To erase the codes select 61, make a note of how many codes are present, then move the engine stop switch to ON. If it's ON for other tests, move it to OFF, then back to ON. It should now display OO for no codes present.

Hope that helps. This is from pages 7-7 thru 7-12 of the FSM LIT-11616-FZ-61 for my '05 FZ6.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Have you checked the fuses? What year FZ6?

Did you just replace the cover or the crankshaft position sensor? Did you remove the pickup rotor?

Does the engine warning light flash when you press the start button? Fault code? (It only shows the lowest number code if there are multiple codes)

To enter Diagnostic mode:

Key OFF
Engine run switch to OFF
Disconnect the fuel pump wire harness
Simultaneously press and hold "SELECT" and "RESET" buttons, turn the key switch to ON, keep pressing the "SELECT" and "RESET" buttons for 8 seconds or more.

All displays should disappear except the clock and trip meter. diaG should appear on the display.
------------------
Press the SELECT button to change between CO and dIAG modes. Once dIAG is selected, silmiltaneously press SELECT and RESET buttons for 2 seconds or more to execute the selection.

Now you can scroll thru the diagnostic code numbers using the SELECT or RESET buttons. (01-70)

61 is the code display setting that will show you all the current codes. (12 is for the crankshaft position sensor receiving no signals.)

62 is the code erase setting. It will show the total number of codes present. To erase the codes select 61, make a note of how many codes are present, then move the engine stop switch to ON. If it's ON for other tests, move it to OFF, then back to ON. It should now display OO for no codes present.

Hope that helps. This is from pages 7-7 thru 7-12 of the FSM LIT-11616-FZ-61 for my '05 FZ6.
It's a 2005 r6. I only replaced the crankshaft ignition cover. Took of the cover,unbolted the sensor, bolted it back on my new cover, and bolted new cover on. It went smoothly as it should. Oil change went fine. I did it obviously before removing the cover then filled it with oil after everything was done.
I believe the check engine light flashes when i turn it over. And code 12 is the only score showing I figured out the diag mode but tried to reset codes on 62 haven't tried resetting them using code 21.

·
Registered
95 Posts
The flashing engine light when cranking means that the FI has stopped. No fuel, no start.

Diagnostic Code 21 is for the neutral switch. Only 62 will clear the codes by selecting 62, then moving the engine run switch to ON or run. If it's already in run, switch it to off/stop, then back to run and that should clear the codes. Obviously, if the issue still exists, the code just comes back.

Any chance you pinched the wire when re-installing the sensor or cover?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I could have pinched it and not realized. When I try to start it I hear the fuel pump kick on and it turns over but wont start. I've tried several times to reset the codes no luck what so ever in the 10 plus times I've tried.

·
Registered
95 Posts
That may simply indicate that the problem still exists. Usually it will clear, but come back when you attempt to start it again. If it won't clear, have you selected the 62 feature instead of just cycled to it?

·
Registered
95 Posts
There is a note to make sure you turn off the power supply, (key switch), before every check, then start over from the beginning to check the next code. I was thinking you also had to press SELECT and RESET when you got to the 62 to select it, but it doesn't clarify that in the FSM. It's been a while since I ran thru this process myself.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts