Sport Bikes banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off, I know just about nothing when it comes to mechanics.

I rode my bike a couple days ago, and everything was working fine. I went to my garage to ride it yesterday, started it up, rolled it out of the garage, gave it some gas and it died. Now whenever I try to start it, the engine cranks but doesn't turn over.

I have gas in it, the kickstand is up, clutch is pulled, in neutral, the battery is good.

It's a 2003 Honda CBR 600RR. Any ideas?

·
Super Moderator
18,635 Posts
2 things...

--do you hear the fuel pump prime when you turn the key?
--Maybe get a new starter?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Check your kill switch. Make a jumper and jump it.

Got spark?

The ECM outputs a signal to the fuel pump relay. Are you hearing the fuel pump when you turn the key?

·
Registered
80 Posts
2 things...

--Maybe get a new starter?
If the engine cranks then it probably isn't the starter.

Like the other posts said, first thing is can you hear the fuel pump prime when you turn it on? (It's that *wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee* sound from the gas tank when you turn the key on)

If you don't hear the fuel pump prime, then start checking fuses and electrical connectors. Usually in this case it wouldn't turn over either, so between that and the fact that you said it was running and then died, I'd guess that you have more of a fuel system problem.

If you hear the pump prime and the engine turns over, but never catches then it could be plugs, plug wires, bad gas. I'd start by making sure your plug wires are all on, if they all look ok then see if you can get a spark plug out to see how it looks. They may just be fouled and you can clean or replace them.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah I hear the fuel pump. I thought it might be the spark plugs. I gotta figure out how to get to them, and then I'll take a look.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Ok, so that mostly eliminates electrical/switch problems.
If it looks like the plug wires are all plugged in, I'd start by seeing if you can get one plug out to see if it's fouled or burned up.

I'm assuming it's pretty similar to the F4i, I think they're pretty close anyway. You can probably get to the end plugs just by taking the side panels off, and there should be a spark plug wrench in the tool kit that came with the bike.

To get to the middle plugs (at least on the F4i) you have to unbolt the radiator, and maybe take off the tank and airbox, I don't remember on that. If you can get just one off that should tell you what you need to know though.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
So, some updates. I haven't tried anything mechanical yet. It was low on gas (but had gas in it) so I filled up a gas can and dumped 2 gallons into the bike, hoping maybe it was as simple as too little gas, or bad gas that when mixed with newer gas, would be okay. Bike did the same thing, tries to start but doesn't catch and turn over.

I tried holding the starter and giving it some throttle, and I was able to get it to start, and I revved it a bit, but it quickly died out.

So since I got it to catch for a second or two then it died, would that rule out spark plugs? It sounds like a problem I had on my old Kawi when fuel wasn't getting to the engine (had a fuel problem where it couldn't flow through the carburetor) but obviously this bike doesn't have a carb.

·
5,366 Posts
You did check the kill switch, as asked earlier, correct?
oh wow the bikes turning over just stop....

OP odds are its fuel or spark. If the bike is turning over and over without starting you should absolutely be able to smell the fuel, and the tip of your spark plugs will look very wet.

If you cant smell fuel, either the pump isn't working, or the injectors are not being told to fire.

If you can smell fuel it's going to be an electrical (r/r or ignition)

go from there...

·
Registered
2 Posts
If the engine cranks then it probably isn't the starter.

Like the other posts said, first thing is can you hear the fuel pump prime when you turn it on? (It's that wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee sound from the gas tank when you turn the key on)

If you don't hear the fuel pump prime, then start checking fuses and electrical connectors. Usually in this case it wouldn't turn over either, so between that and the fact that you said it was running and then died, I'd guess that you have more of a fuel system problem.

If you hear the pump prime and the engine turns over, but never catches then it could be plugs, plug wires, bad gas. I'd start by making sure your plug wires are all on, if they all look ok then see if you can get a spark plug out to see how it looks. They may just be fouled and you can clean or replace them.
Okay so I’m having a problem I have spark it runs on starting fluid fuel pump is priming injectors are not spraying that’s what is going on any ideas?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts