Sport Bikes banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at buying a bike soon. But the selection of dealers that I've found is not really to my preference. Would it be a good or bad decision to buy from a private seller, for ex Craig's list, yakaz, or cycle trader?

·
Registered
848 Posts
depends on where it's at and how close the deal is to real book values. you make sure to take a few friends along when you go to possible "bad parts".

that's just me.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Its always a gamble buying a used bike. You just have to take all the proper precautions. Check it out really well. Bring a friend to also check it out (two eyes are better than one) as long as they don't have rose coloured glasses. Get a vehicle report.

I bought my 954 off an add on Craigslist and its worked out well. I was definitely nervous about it though.

·
Slowpoke
1,631 Posts
It's a hit and miss...but I have bought three bikes off of Craigslist. Better make sure it is close. I doubt your buddy with the 250 will know what he is doing, but it wouldn't hurt to bring him. It is also rare for anybody to let you ride a bike before they have cash in hand...especially if it's a SS. They'll usually say something like you wreck it you buy it.

Have you ever ridden or even sat on a GSXR/CBR/ZX6R/R6?

It's not intuitive at all and it'll blow your mind. But what you do is up to you.

I still say you should get really good insurance so that your family can benefit from your death and that you won't be a leech on them if you get hurt.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
120 Posts
Don't do it. I bought mine off of craig's list. I was riding it to the grocery store the second day I had it and it started spilling stuff from its underside. I was all likez WTF. The trail of stuff then caught fire and I was cruising down the street Ghost Rider style.

Made it to the store and back. Go figure.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Don't do it. I bought mine off of craig's list. I was riding it to the grocery store the second day I had it and it started spilling stuff from its underside. I was all likez WTF. The trail of stuff then caught fire and I was cruising down the street Ghost Rider style.

Made it to the store and back. Go figure.
So don't buy off craigslist because you bought a bad bike?

I've been involved with two CL motorcycle transactions (one mine, and the other my friend) and both have gone flawlessly. You can't take a sample of "1" and apply it to the whole population.

If you want to find a used bike, Craigslist is your best bet. There are some bikes on Ebay, and maybe some on Cycletrader (they all seemed really expensive, most were just dealerships), but the majority will be in CL.

Use searchtempest.com. It's God's gift to looking for anything on CL. Use "Direct Results" and viola.

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
My sister's friend's dog's roomate's great aunt thrice removed once said that her nephew's niece's uncle's valet from Walla Walla knew a guy whose bike blew up the second he turned on the key after taking ownership of a bike he bought from Craiglist.

True story!

·
You are here
3,535 Posts
Bought two bikes off CL and sold one. No better or worse than any other venue, you just have to know how to appraise used bikes. Way, way, way better than any stealership. Even if the seller is trying to rook you, he's likely an amateur.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Best bikes are salvaged bikes because it shows the owner really cared about the bike enough to fix what was wrong with it to begin with.

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
^Someone forgot to tell Max's previous SV owner that while he was fixing what was wrong with the bike he WHOOPS seemed to have forgotten to put in a few engine bolts.

Caring =/= competent :(

·
Registered
201 Posts
Craigslist = individual people. Doesn't matter where you found the ad you must remember you're dealing with an individual. You're buying into your judgment of them as much as the item they're selling.

Meet them at home if you can. Do they appear to have any practices that lead you to believe that they didn't take care of the bike?

·
Registered
8,142 Posts
I bought my first bike from a guy just down the road who had it listed on Ebay. I bought in in person though, not on Ebay. It was my first bike and I didn't really know what I was looking for. I got lucky in that nothing was wrong with it. I then sold it on CL. I bought my second (and current) bike on CL... and despite having a pretty good idea of what to look for, I still didn't notice the two missing engine bolts.:scaredpanda

Buying used is always a gamble. It's best to bring someone with you to look at it, both for a second set of eyes, as well as for safety. If you're at all unsure, you could always take it to a motorcycle garage to have a mechanic look it over before you buy it. This is something you'll have to pay for undoubtedly... But a few bucks spent at a garage up front could save you thousands down the road. Plus, any deficiencies that don't scare you away can be used as bargaining points.

Keep in mind, your average used [fill in the blank] dealer is likely to be as, if not way more, shady than your average person selling something they no longer want. I don't trust a used vehicle salesman at all. They're all crooks until proven otherwise as far as I'm concerned.

My friend just bought a GS500 from a dealer late last summer, despite my advice to buy off of CL and to bring me or another one of our friends that ride along with him. He bought from the dealer because he didn't want to get screwed. That dealer screwed him royally. He overpaid big time and the bike was a hunk of crap. It's never ran right. He's taken it into the dealer (because it had an awesome 3 month warranty) four times now I think. Each time they told him he was good to go, and nothing was ever fixed. Eventually his warranty ran out and he was stuck with a shit bike that still doesn't run right. The dealer he bought it from was also 45 minutes away, so figure in gas money each time as well(he had to put it in the back of a pickup to get it there each time). He then took it into a local bike mechanic. The mechanic had his bike for two weeks, charged him about $100 and still couldn't figure out what was wrong with it.

My vote is Craigslist. You'll generally find better deals there than what you'll find at a dealer if you're patient.

^Someone forgot to tell Max's previous SV owner that while he was fixing what was wrong with the bike he WHOOPS seemed to have forgotten to put in a few engine bolts.

Caring =/= competent :(
Hahaha. Still can't believe I missed two fricken engine bolts missing! Other than that, the bike's been great. I've put 23,000 miles on it, wrecked it once, and dropped it three times, and she's still running like new!

·
Registered
120 Posts
So don't buy off craigslist because you bought a bad bike?

I've been involved with two CL motorcycle transactions (one mine, and the other my friend) and both have gone flawlessly. You can't take a sample of "1" and apply it to the whole population.

If you want to find a used bike, Craigslist is your best bet. There are some bikes on Ebay, and maybe some on Cycletrader (they all seemed really expensive, most were just dealerships), but the majority will be in CL.

Use searchtempest.com. It's God's gift to looking for anything on CL. Use "Direct Results" and viola.
This was obviously a joke. No, I did not ride my back to the store and back with my wheel on fire.

·
Registered
145 Posts
This was obviously a joke. No, I did not ride my back to the store and back with my wheel on fire.
You know, I'm usually the guy making fun of someone for missing a joke like that. I kind of glossed over the "on-fire" part, too. Haha, my bad.

/egg on face

He didn't respect the engine bolts. That was his problem. You respect that bolt and things will be fine.
:p

1 - 19 of 19 Posts