Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
SBN Rookie ;-)
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok you've probably all had similar experiences, but heres mine.

I had the ZX6R in for a service on the valve clearance. Long story short, the bike wasnt ready this arvo and i needed a courtesy bike or whatever to get home and come back tomorrow.

At the same time as i walk in, they sell the bike they are using as a courtesy bike, a nice looking GS500. So they put a trade plate on this unregistered beater XJ600, 84 model. I think yeh, dont judge a book by it cover she'll be right. :eek:nfloor

The bitch broke down about 20 ks from the bike shop in peak hour traffic. (Bear in mind its Canberra, peak hour traffic here aint bad). I take about 20 mins to get it going, by which time its dark. Then i discover NO LIGHTS. I checked the brakelight and blinkers when i left but forgot to check the headlamp :bitchslap Needless to say it was a scary ride home, at 30, on the shoulder, with my foot on the rear brake so the fuckers could see me.

It was nice of him to give me a bike, but man what a POS :eek:nfloor

·
Registered
197 Posts
Sounds like you'll appreciate your bike more when you give that beater back. Can't believe they'd do that. Time to rag out the XR while you can

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
That's sucks, but you are you familiar with saying" what doesn't kill you makes you stronger"

·
SBN Rookie ;-)
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
mj31 said:
That's sucks, but you are you familiar with saying" what doesn't kill you makes you stronger"
Ok im coming over to your house to cut your arms off. Luckily though im going to bring lots of bandages. You'll live :twofinger

Yeah it wasnt that big of a deal, its not like im Mr Busy on my way to a big meeting or anything, it was actually pretty funny. What was awesome was the number of people who asked me if i needed a hand. Im getting my karma back finally.

cvm4 said:
Sounds like you'll appreciate your bike more when you give that beater back.
Exactly what i thought. Makes it seem worthwhile spending extra to get a good bike and keeping it serviced and that. Alright its past my bedtime. :beer

·
Registered
833 Posts
Hey, at least they gave you a service bike. In the States, I've never ever heard of a motorcycle dealership loaning courtesy bikes to customers.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Courtesy Bike, that's like an oxymoron isn't it? I have never heard of that before. Especially here in the states.

·
Banned
730 Posts
ThumpDaddy said:
Courtesy Bike, that's like an oxymoron isn't it? I have never heard of that before. Especially here in the states.
Because in this country, more than any other one actually, motorcycles are a privileged, non-necessity item bought after one or more cars are already owned. In many, many countries, motorcycles are bought long before a car comes into the picture. Dealers are just doing what needs to be done in order to serve their customers and here in the States, Billy Redneck just drives his wife's Suburban home and never needs a courtesy bike. :bitchslap

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
"Ok im coming over to your house to cut your arms off. Luckily though im going to bring lots of bandages. You'll live. "

I hope you kidding about the middle fingers.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Kaiser Soze said:
What was awesome was the number of people who asked me if i needed a hand. Im getting my karma back finally.
You didn't need a hand....you needed a light! :eek:nfloor

You should definitely give them some shit when you turn that bike back in to them. But still cool that they offer a loaner...I have never heard of that here in the states (at least not in LA).

·
SBN Rookie ;-)
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
mj31 said:
"Ok im coming over to your house to cut your arms off. Luckily though im going to bring lots of bandages. You'll live. "

I hope you kidding about the middle fingers.
Yeah dude it was just a joke no offense.

·
SBN Rookie ;-)
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
^ Not really. I come from a country town not too far from canberra. I work and study in canberra. Get down to Melbourne now and then, been down for the Melbourne cup to do some serious :beer .

Melbourne is about 8-10 hours away i think. You can drive there in a day easy but its a big trip. You been there? They play the wrong friggin kind of football down there! Idiots! :joke

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Kaiser Soze said:
^ Not really. I come from a country town not too far from canberra. I work and study in canberra. Get down to Melbourne now and then, been down for the Melbourne cup to do some serious :beer .

Melbourne is about 8-10 hours away i think. You can drive there in a day easy but its a big trip. You been there? They play the wrong friggin kind of football down there! Idiots! :joke
One of my college Lacrosse teammates was from Melbourne, great guy could drink a ton but hated Foster's beer. We used to break his balls allot about that. He came to the U.S. to play ball, graduated and went back and got a pretty good job. He loved the states but loved home more. I can understand, It's got to be tough to be that far from your family.
I have never been "down under" but it's on the to-do list :beer

·
Registered
483 Posts
My second bike is an '85 XL 600:) If it is running right it is a fun machine to stomp the crap out of... sounds like that one needs a little bit of help though. Do you get your machine back tomorrow? It is going to feel so damned good when you switch back to the Kawi. Like night and day. :)

·
SBN Rookie ;-)
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Got er back tonight. Oh baby!!! :banana

Does anyone have an opinion on valve clearances? I mean i ride fairly conservatively when commuting so wear and tear is probably minimal. They checked it and didnt have to replace the shims, so they pulled it apart for nothing. 375 well spent :urowned Of course, thats half what all the other places around here charge.

·
Banned
730 Posts
Kaiser Soze said:
They checked it and didnt have to replace the shims, so they pulled it apart for nothing. 375 well spent :urowned
I'd say it was money well spent. Now you've got until the next check to thrash her w/o worries. Peace of mind at 13K rpm. What's it worth to you? :beer

·
King of Oilernation
1,237 Posts
Jesus man, that really sucks. Glad you made it home in one piece. I would use it as some leverage for a lower bill.

·
SBN Rookie ;-)
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
^^Yeah i think you're right, its good to know its been serviced properly and everything, I couldnt stand to ride it if it wasnt so yeah, you're right, its worth it. It was also good to learn it hasnt worn the vlaves or whatever since new, so im happy bout that.

^Yeah, and if it was some real schmick outfit i would. Thing is though, they are good blokes and they charge way fairer than the other glossy dealerships in town, like half. Plus they gave me a bike for nothing, and today it was a total burner :banana I hear what you're saying, but its not the sort of dealership you're picturing, y'know?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts