Sport Bikes banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

· Back on 2!
273 Posts
NASCAR on a street track? The bikes would win.

NASCAR on an oval track? I'd assume the cars would win, they have over 60 years in developement of strictly turning left.

With that said, a few shows have pitted bike vs. car. The results vary but given any type of condition a tuned car will usually beat a tuned bike, strictly based on lap times. The idea is that twice as many tires is twice as many contact points which means twice as much usable traction; this allows the car to brake faster and corner with a stronger g-force. The bike usually accelerates much faster over the car; knowing this you could device a situation that either would triumph.

Let's also note that bikes are cooler, cars are lame :p

· Registered
771 Posts
Bike have more power/weight however they also have tons more drag than a car. NASCAR races at the big tracks are limited in speed by restrictors. Otherwise they'd easily hit 210 mph. I think a big bike would beat a NASCAR stock car in most situations just because of how big and heavy stock cars are. Cars have a huge advantage under braking and during quick transitions like chicanes. Now, if you went against a lighter car with more modern suspension, the bike would almost always lose its ass, IMO.

· Silent pipes take lives
12,981 Posts
Infineon Raceway qualifying lap record for NASCAR (Chevy Monte Carlo): 75.950 seconds (1.99 miles, 10 turns)
Average speed: 94.33 MPH

Infineon Raceway qualifying lap record for AMA (Suzuki Superbike): 95.893 seconds (2.22 miles, 11 turns)
Average speed: 83.34 MPH

Infineon Raceway - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

· Registered
15,275 Posts
a recent show ran a superbike on a road course, then ran a very high performance factory car

car won, because of all the corners. it was faster into and through the corners, due to better braking with 4 tires, and better cornering

bike ate it alive on the straights and out of the corners

they taped both, overlayed the tapes to simulate a race w/out actually racing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQBRrgz56WI

12,981 Posts
So, basically, a NASCAR vehicle will eat any stock superbike alive on a road course.

· Forever the Man
2,904 Posts
I've been reading Motorcyclist for 25 years and in every bike vs car test they did the bike won. I can remember the FZR1000 vs Corvette ZR1 and later the GSXR 1000 vs Corvette Z?. All tests done at Willow Springs racetrack and Streets of Willow.

Not saying bike would always win in real world.

· Registered
3,069 Posts
Infineon Raceway qualifying lap record for NASCAR (Chevy Monte Carlo): 75.950 seconds (1.99 miles, 10 turns)
Average speed: 94.33 MPH

Infineon Raceway qualifying lap record for AMA (Suzuki Superbike): 95.893 seconds (2.22 miles, 11 turns)
Average speed: 83.34 MPH

Infineon Raceway - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
It's a different configuration though. So you can't really count that.

Every bike-car comparison I seen on tv was either a really high performance car against a 600. Or the dude on the bike was showing off doing wheelies and shit. braking and turning soooo slowly.

12,981 Posts
A. The difference is minor. Most of the course is the same, with an extra turn thrown in. That's why I provided average speeds for comparison, which takes the added length into account.

B. That's an actual race bike rather than a stock superbike, which wouldn't do as well.

So, yes, you can count on that.

· Mediocre Strafer
9,142 Posts
You might be able to come up with lap numbers at Watkins Glen, that and Laguna are the only road courses I can think where they run the same configuration.

But if you extrapolate some of the NASCAR vs Formula car times, and then some of the Formula vs bike times, you'll get a feel.

I'm not a NASCAR fan, but the technology shouldn't be underestimated. They're going to be significantly faster than any "normal" production car on a road course, and by that token significantly faster than any production street bike, because those are roughly equal to the production cars.

KeS

· Mediocre Strafer
9,142 Posts

Every bike-car comparison I seen on tv was either a really high performance car against a 600. Or the dude on the bike was showing off doing wheelies and shit. braking and turning soooo slowly.
There's a good 1098 vs GTR comparison on YouTube with qualified driver/riders. Both expected the bike to win, both were wrong. It's well done because they are doing lead-follow with alternate positions so you can see the relative areas of performance.

KeS

· Just Kiss The Tip
3,017 Posts
a recent show ran a superbike on a road course, then ran a very high performance factory car

car won, because of all the corners. it was faster into and through the corners, due to better braking with 4 tires, and better cornering

bike ate it alive on the straights and out of the corners

they taped both, overlayed the tapes to simulate a race w/out actually racing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQBRrgz56WI

ahhh...I can speak read or understand German, but it looks like the BIKE smacked that Audi R8.....in the head to head clip

· Registered
15,275 Posts

· Registered
107 Posts
The pole time for the AMA Superbike race at NJMP was a 1:21.558 and the 5th place qualifying time (can't find the pole time for some reason) for the ARCA race a couple of weeks ago was a 1:22.619. ARCA cars are basically few year old NASCAR Cup cars (still the old body style), complete with 850hp motors. I think the ARCA pole was a a low 1:22. The bike is actually decently faster in this case because the bikes used the chicane version of turn 3 while the cars used the simple fast right hander, so the faster pole time actually was done on a longer and slower course.

In general racecars are faster than bikes because of the cornering advantage, but stock cars simply aren't designed to be very competent racecars. GT cars with half the power on mediocre race tires are decently faster than top of the line NASCAR road course cars because the stock cars weigh so much. In the example at New Jersey the ARCA cars were probably faster down the straights, but gave up lots of ground in the braking zones.

12,981 Posts
Here's a direct comparison at Miller Motorsports on one of the fastest road courses in the U.S.:

Carlos Checha, best lap 1:48.193, 2008 FIM superbike series, Honda CBR1000RR, 3.08 mile outer course

Jason Bowles, best lap 1:56.095, 02 Aug 2008 NASCAR Camping World Series West, No. 22 Sunrise Ford Fusion, 3.08 mile outer course,

Miller Motorsports Park | Event FAQ

Remember, that's against a FIM Superbike, not a stock one.

· A guy on a scruffy bike
15,372 Posts
Yeah, but when the fender-banging starts, the NASCARs are gonna bunt 'em all into the wall and run all over those little speedbumps left.

PhilB

· OO=[][]=OO
7,410 Posts
Here's a direct comparison at Miller Motorsports on one of the fastest road courses in the U.S.:

Carlos Checha, best lap 1:48.193, 2008 FIM superbike series, Honda CBR1000RR, 3.08 mile outer course

Jason Bowles, best lap 1:56.095, 02 Aug 2008 NASCAR Camping World Series West, No. 22 Sunrise Ford Fusion, 3.08 mile outer course,

Miller Motorsports Park | Event FAQ

Remember, that's against a FIM Superbike, not a stock one.

and the nascar is third tier (or fourth?) below sprint cup or whatever it is called now

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.