Sport Bikes banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Heath
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a Cortech HRX from NewEnough via ebay, got it for a bit less than half of retail. The defect was slight discoloration in one of the rubber logos. I was unsure what size to order. I read a few different reviews with different opinions on fit, one said they run big, one said they run true, one said they run small. that helps. I ordered my usual XXL. It's a big loose without the two liners, one for waterproofing, one for insulation. I might could wear an XL, but at least it's not flopping around in the breeze. My biggest problem is the velcro snug straps around the waist don't snug up enough on me. I run out of velcro. I plan to remedy that with my wife's sewing machine and some velcro....simple fix. What I've noticed so far that I like, no collar to interfere with lane change looks. I've had a few jackets with just enough of a collar to catch my helmet. The HRX does not. The sleeves move a lot of air, it's hard to feel how much air is moving through the chest cavity, but then again, it was over 100* here today, and it was just plain hot. I could shift around and feel air moving out the back of the jacket, that felt nice. I really like the sleeve closures, it helps that the wrist area of the jacket is leather. Nice large pulls on the zippers, and handy pockets. I now have a good location for my garage door opener. The pading feels top notch, and the built in shoulder armor not only looks tough, it seems like it would protect well too. And last but not least, it makes me look incredibly SEXY.

Well, OK, I stretched tha last bit. But it's a nice looking jacket!

·
2000 VTR1000 Superhawk
3,248 Posts
I have the same jacket.. also bought the HRX pants.. I know of another on the site that didn't have a good experience with the jacket.. posted pics and said that it shredded in a low speed crash.. me however.. if you check out my posts you will see i have this jacket on when I went down in a highspeed low side on the track.. jacket held up great. Pants... not so well.. think I lucked out...

http://www.sportbikes.net/forums/showthread.php?t=362288

Notice the debris coming from my gear as I slide across the track in the one pic....

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'm also just bought this jacket and am starting to really doubt it's crash worthiness. I've had it for a few weeks and there are already loose threads coming out. I was planning on buying the pants as well but the zipper to to the pants are connected to a sheet of spandex like material that does not look or feel strong at all. Over all very little, if any improvement, over the old gen GXAir Jacket it is replacing.

·
2000 VTR1000 Superhawk
3,248 Posts
Hey.. dont get me wrong.. I really liked the jacket/pants. They offer moderate protection for a good price. They are worth one crash though while full leathers are worth more - hence the cost difference. I felt very comfortable and safe while wearing them. And since I don't have one single scratch on me after my crash... I think my feelings were accurate.
flmz said:
I'm also just bought this jacket and am starting to really doubt it's crash worthiness. I've had it for a few weeks and there are already loose threads coming out. I was planning on buying the pants as well but the zipper to to the pants are connected to a sheet of spandex like material that does not look or feel strong at all. Over all very little, if any improvement, over the old gen GXAir Jacket it is replacing.

·
Heath
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's the trade off with mesh type jackets, it ain't full leather. I tried a different mesh jacket previous to this one, and it was first and foremost too big, and very floppy. This one feels well built. No one WANTS to go down especially in mesh. But I've seen some question able looking jackets do rather well in crashes. For my money, the HRX is one of the "safer" looking vented jackets out there. The leather panels and plastic armor add to the confidence factor for me. It's still much better than a t-shirt. If I walk away from a crash with minimal injuries, and my textile jacket gets shredded, it's been well worth the loss of the money I spent on the jacket. Most leather will be re-usable, and I've seen some textile jackets survive. But if it doesn't, I'm cool with that. A $400 helmet and $200 jacket seem expensive until you compare them with emergency room rates!

·
Heath
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Six and one half years later, I still use the HRX jacket on a regular basis. It's my go-to jacket when it's below 50* out. I wear a t-shirt under it and always stay warm with both liners in. My only complaint would be that when you take out the liners, it's too big, and needs sinch straps on the sleeves like the newer model. I've lost a lot of weight, and won't be able to wear it this summer without the liners. I'm actually looking for the HRX 2 in one size smaller! This one has held up very well and been a great year round jacket. Never crash tested it, knock on wood!

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
I was looking at a newer Cortech jacket the other day to replace the jacket I've outgrown, thanks for the review and update.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts