Sport Bikes banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this isnt really a stunt question, but i'd appreciate your help. I'm a new rider with an R6. I still dont have much confidence around corners (like right turns at a T intersection and the wider left turns) and was wondering how fast you can take corners around the city before things get hairy. Also, on a car, when your about to skid, it's generally pretty gradual, it doesnt just loose it; is it the same for bikes? will you slide a bit before things get serious, or does it all of a sudden give away? Thanks for your help guys.

·
Registered
910 Posts
You ought to arrange to attend one of Reg Pridmore's CLASS schools. At this point in your riding development, it is probably the best move you can make.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Eyespy said:
You ought to arrange to attend one of Reg Pridmore's CLASS schools. At this point in your riding development, it is probably the best move you can make.
link? places? price?

·
Registered
418 Posts
I usually NEVER "ride" in cities for several reasons, but since you asked...

a) MOST "corners" in cities are hard 90's either left or right, usually surrounded by other traffic and medians, etc. Chances are, you won't be able to take these: at VERY best, any faster than 50 mph [which in cities is ridiculous anyway]

b) MOST of the time, bikes "just let loose" when they are going to slip / give way... only very few times have I, either experienced it myself or witnessed someone else good do it, had my tires "slowly" skid away from a turn.... USUALLY this has been at an extremely high rate of speed [100+] and in longer, sweeping type turns.

c) If you are going to get good at "corners"... go out somewhere and find some twisties... then you can practice tearing shit up w/o fearing losing control and t-boning some soccer-mom's mini-van. Just take a buddy with you so when you dump-it someone will pull you out of the ditch and call for help.

·
Registered
910 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
J0HNK said:
I usually NEVER "ride" in cities for several reasons, but since you asked...

Just take a buddy with you so when you dump-it someone will pull you out of the ditch and call for help.

HAHAHAHAHA :lao i dont think it coulda been said better

·
Registered
775 Posts
if you are just getting started I think your chances of losing traction on clean, dry pavement are VERY slim. you are probably so freaked about lean angle (like most of us were when we were new) that you aren't even close to the limit of your tires.

More importantly look through your turn and look where you want to go. You might want to look into the MSF course if you haven't taken it yet. It will help give you more confidence regarding traction and lean angle.

And while your at it you might as well post this same question on the General Sportbikes forum and get the inaugural flaming for you first bike choice out of the way.

Be easy with the R6 and good luck.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts