Sport Bikes banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, returning rider with question to the more experienced members.
I used to ride sport bikes w/clip-ons, and thought hanging off the inside of the bike and dragging a knee was like, a smart thing to aspire to on the street.
Now I ride a Duke 390 with handlebars and hanging off the bike does not feel nearly as stable this way.
So my current bike has a much more upright seating position than my previous bikes.
I have been looking into and trying counter-leaning.
Recently I started trying counter-leaning while sitting my ass on the outside edge of the seat, kind of like how dirt bike riders corner but without my leg kicked out.

My Question is this:
For street riding, am I being an idiot about putting emphasis on using cornering STYLES in general? Does it even matter?
Should I just drop the idea of cornering styles and just sit upright/lean more in corners?
It's not like I am doing a track day. I'd like a sanity check please.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Not a stupid question at all. Even at MotoGP levels they don't all ride the bike the same way and all of the riders at that level could lap you on a race track in just a couple of laps. Shy away from advice that says always do it this way. Basically you want to learn how to distribute your weight to work best for the conditions at hand rather than sticking to some rule of thumb you heard on line. Generally, your counter leaning helps you stay with the bike when traction is low. That's why it works in the dirt so well. Hanging off to the inside works well when you have really high grip levels but how much you should hang off is up for debate. Ever watch Cameron Beaubier? He's one of the fastest guys on a superbike and barley hangs off at all. Tony Elias, equally fast, hangs off so far his outside foot is about 6" off the pegs and those two would battle it out all year long. You want to find a position that is comfortable for you in high grip situations and low grip situations and be able to move between them when you see those road conditions coming up. It's hard to get your tires hot enough on the street for those high grip levels so it is more important that you are comfortable and can fully control the bike than anything else. It's great you are experimenting because you will find that sweet spot eventually.

·
Registered
7 Posts
These are thoughts I have had recently, I am retired now and I have returned to riding after a 10year break.
My old bike was a xs650 I had for years and I only commuted on it.
I have built myself a bike now with performance in mind, but had never ridden with clip-ons and rear sets till this bike.
It is all built to fit me which helps but with my limited miles I have realized I like to use a mix of these still depending what I'm doing.
I slip over to the inside a bit on open roads and counter balance on tight turns in traffic or if the surface is sus.
I stick a knee out to counter cross winds and grip the tank with my knees.
I can't remember doing any of these things in the past but recently am trying to improve my skills all the time, and am enjoying my return to riding.
I am thinking of doing a course run by the local police, but feel too chicken to do a track day at this stage.
Wish you all the best and hope you also enjoy your return to riding.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts