Sport Bikes banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
SBN Rookie ;-)
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Figured out how to shrink pics. Been riding since i was 5, on the road since 17.My first "road bike" was this sweet 250 Bandit. Wish i could've kept it when i went up to the 600. This is my ZX6R, will last me a long time, unless i have to sell it to go overseas. Hopefully not because it was cheap, so i want to get some serious use out of it.

Ok ive also posted a pic of a corner, i took it when i discovered some of the best bike-riding roads in the region are right near my house :banana

How do you prep yourself for a corner like this. I have read most of the stuff on here, but i feel like i panic a bit when i go belting into a corner like this. I went through here with a friend on a 900, he did well. We are both beginners but he was faster (hes a bit more nuts).

Is it just experience, practice? I want to ride with some in reserve, but i also want to lean it over better as well. As i said before, when its corner after corner i feel like i lose my nerve a bit, even though im having the most fun ever. I try to use the techniques i have read and been told but its not easy, especially when a car comes flying up the other way. Maybe im just not used to a bike that will lean over and just, well, keep leaning!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. :beer

Attachments

·
Don't tease the dragon
1,193 Posts
You've partially answered your own question - much of it is experience...
One thing you can do - every ride pick ONE technique to work on. It could be throttle roll-on, looking through the corner, braking, etc, but EVERY ride be working on one. Do it every ride till it's second nature, then move to another technique...
With time you improve!

·
Registered
787 Posts
You have to avoid target fixation and look as far as you can while you enter the corner and keep moving your eyes. If you will look in front of the bike you gonna end up target fixating and panicing. Take it slow the first couple time and increase your speed as you feel more comfortable.

·
SBN Rookie ;-)
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks mate. One thing i forgot to put in....A track nearby has "no speed limit" days, where you can just go for a fang around (not race). Its only 80 bucks for the day. Would this be a good idea? On the one hand, its a controlled environment, on the other, maybe no point going to a track until i have more sportbiking experience?

·
Official E-Thug
1,689 Posts
get some pics of you running through the corners.... example --- this is me when i was asking the same advice (on form mostly)

If you look at the first pic compared to the second pic, my upper body is more rotated around the tank. That is the input I had received from the more educated members of the board here, and I attempted to put it to use :) :phatyo
EDIT*- this is my original thread, might find some useful info there http://www.sportbikes.net/forums/showthread.php?t=277744&highlight=body

Attachments

·
You will be missed Shawn
6,508 Posts
if you have a track nearby, go do it. whether you have just started riding or not, you as a new rider would benefit immensely from a track. not to mention riding on a track would provide you with some experience that you need in order to navigate through turns just like the one you posted. I had my first track day w/less than 3 months experience, and it taught me huge amounts.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Focus on reference points in the turn. Figure out where to start breaking, where to lean over, when to roll on the throttle, when to straighten etc. Having a bunch of stuff that you recognize makes it seem like you're going slower and gets rid of the panicky feeling.

Oh, and if you don't recognize what I said, read the Twist books. :)

·
SBN Rookie ;-)
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone for the replies so far, i gotta go get some shut-eye. Good luck HAHA ill be going over all this in my head.

:beer :beer :beer

·
Full Time Slacker
3,178 Posts
That corner is blind. I'd brake early and be slow enough to turn in about 3/4 of the way between the 2nd and third markers (from the right of the pic) while not getting too near the soft shoulder when I apexed. Other than that like any other corner. Look ahead, don't fixate and don't death grip the bars.

·
Eurofag
1,792 Posts
Don't forget that Kaiser Soze is an Aussie so he rides on the left (ie. the correct side of the road. :)

With the corner, the idea on road positioning is to get the maximum view through the corner so as you approach a bend you can look at the hedges/trees /road ahead etc to make a judgment on how tight the bend is, then position yourself for maximum view through the corner..so over to the left of the lane (this is in Australia) and look 'through' the bend at your exit, don't target fixate on the bend, watch the road ahead where the edges of the road meet (road horizon sort of thing) as that's where you're going, sort of thing.

Also, get all your braking/gear downchanges done before leaning the bike over too much....slow in/fast out is best.
:)

·
Registered
447 Posts
Don't panic and start breaking or you'll end up going straight into the other lane, instead keep your lean, or lean over more and look through the turn, not straight ahead.

·
Light it up! Light it up!
1,459 Posts
bomma said:
Don't forget that Kaiser Soze is an Aussie so he rides on the left (ie. the correct side of the road. :)
nah, the right side of the road is the right side. the left side is not the right side :lol

for the corner:

i usually only try and push the limits in corners that I can see all the way thru. anyway, i try and have my speed set before the corner, countersteer in and set my angle, hold, hit the gas and countersteer back up. my entry speeds are slow, but my accel out is good. I also don't hit corners hard that I have little experience on. try it a few times and speed up if you feel comfortable--that's the best advice really.

i'd also probably start out at the far left, and if the center of the lane is free of debris and rocks (one of the main reasons to not rail corners you can't see thru) i'll cut to the right side of the lane and back to the outside--somewhat like that for increased speeds.

·
SBN Rookie ;-)
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
bomma said:
Yep took this picture on the way back down.....

Lots of good responses here, thanks people. :beer

When you say dont fixate on the turn you mean dont fixate on a point of the turn? Or more like, dont fixate on the bit of road in front of you? Ive been working on this the most because i think its probably my worst problem at the moment, forcing myself to look where i want to go on these blind turns. Where i want to go is changing constantly and fairly quickly. I feel like im fighting instinct when im looking through a turn like this, all i want to do is look down and make sure im gunna stay on the road. This doesnt happen on wider, more open roads (even where the corner may actually be sharper) but it does on corners like the one i posted.

Thanks again all.

·
Eurofag
1,792 Posts
Kaiser Soze said:
Yep took this picture on the way back down.....

Lots of good responses here, thanks people. :beer

When you say dont fixate on the turn you mean dont fixate on a point of the turn? Or more like, dont fixate on the bit of road in front of you? Ive been working on this the most because i think its probably my worst problem at the moment, forcing myself to look where i want to go on these blind turns. Where i want to go is changing constantly and fairly quickly. I feel like im fighting instinct when im looking through a turn like this, all i want to do is look down and make sure im gunna stay on the road. This doesnt happen on wider, more open roads (even where the corner may actually be sharper) but it does on corners like the one i posted.

Thanks again all.
Basically, and not just bends, look at where you want to go, not the road just in front of you.
If you look at the road just in front of you, then you can't anticipate sudden change in direction, potential hazards etc. You should scan the road ahead, obviously depending on road conditions traffic etc, and mentally have already decided what you're going to do in the next 100 metres (for example).

It's something that does come with experience, but it'll make you smoother and safer, like look at the side of the road ahead, you may not be able to see the actual tarmac but you can probably see the hedges/trees at the side of the road which tell you what direction the roads going to go, so you can plan ahead.

Just practice mate, go down a bit of road you're familiar with and practice what you're looking at, and try and look ahead more, look 'through' the bends at your exit, rather than just in front of you, anticipation and planning ahead will make you a much better rider.
:)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts