Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I'm gonna post the story of what happened to me two weeks ago. Although I'm not sure what lesson I learned form this, if any. Here goes its gonna be long...

I'm on a quite ride on a sunny Sunday afternoon, on a backroad that I purposely took to avoid traffic. I'm by myself, on a deserted road, traveling about 50-55 in a posted 45 zone. (I admit 55 is speeding, but its not excessive for the road at all) I travel about 15 miles at this pace when I glance in my mirror to see the bumper of a gold Maxima right off my back tire. I'm talking 10-15 feet. Hes right on my ass. I slow alittle, take my left hand off the bar and do a head check and see what is up. I give him the WTF look and turn back around. He has room to pass on the 2-lane road but does not.

A couple hundred yards later, he is still right on my ass. So I speed up to 60, he is still there. 65 then 70, I'm starting to think this driver is messing with me and I don't like it. As we enter a curvy section of road (I know this road well) I decide I'd better put this fool safely behind me. So I speed up to about 80. I distance myself from him by 100 yards or so. but as the road comes to a stop sign, here he comes flying up on my tire again. At the stop sign I turn around and give him the look again and he is talking on a cell and acting like he is writing down my tag. I think ya whatever, and take off.

We pull out and he is still following obviously too close. I make a left turn into the first gas station I find (rural area) and I give him not only a turn signal but also a hand signal so he won't run me over. As I turn in, he keeps straight and blows past me. Thank God thats over I think, I'm getting pretty nervious about this by this time. I take off my helmet and gloves and fill up my tank.

After filling and paying, I am putting my helmet back on all of a sudden a State Trooper comes flying up into the gas station blocking me in. He jumps out of the car looking pissed. He asks me for licence, which I promptly hand him, and then he says 'what business do you have going 80 mph back there.' I say 80 mph?? No sir I was not going 80 but I might have been speeding you see there was this car... He cut me off right there. He said 'that car was me in my personal car.' (he's trooper car must have been near by and he got it while I was getting gas)

So he gives me a 15 minute safety lecture, and all I'm thinking is that I would have never gone that fast if you didn't ride my ass. I felt endangered. I kept my mouth shut, in fear of a ticket and just said 'yes sir, no sir' to everything this guy said. Then I saw his name badge, and it rang a bell in my head. I asked him if he knew a friend of mine and he said yes. (this trooper is about my age) After I figured out who this guy was and that we new the same people, he quickly handed my back my licence and told me to be careful and left.

I was so glad I didn't get a ticket I didn't think much more about it. But the next week the trooper send word thru a buddy to tell me that he WAS ON DUTY IN HIS PERSONAL CAR, BUT THAT HE WAS RUNNING LATE TO WORK. I was like what??? So this guy was late for work, speeding down a country road, tailgated and scared a biker into speeding and decided to come back and give him a hard time about it???

I admit to speeding but I was provoked into speeding. What do you guys think about this? Do you think this guy was out of line?

·
Sport Tourer
1,729 Posts
I think it depends on what the cop was planning on doing. If he was going to give you a ticket for speeding while tailgating, he was way out of line. If he say you blow ahead of him, and felt like you needed a safety lecture (Hey, there are squids out there), then whatever. By no means was what he did the 'right' thing.

But really, do what you think is safest. Personally, I'd rather take a ticket than a dirtbath.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Mr. Lesbian said:
Sounds like a total ass to me. I'd file a formal complaint about that pig.

why? thats fucking stupid.

He got off and he made a friend in the process.

Stephen just bite your upper lip and take it with a grain of salt.

What happen was fucked up, but you are ok now, i say just let the shit go. You never know, maybe one day that asshole trooper may do you a favor in return.

You never burn bridges especially with State Troopers. Maybe some day you guys can laugh it over with a beer.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
MaxOwner said:

What happen was fucked up, but you are ok now, i say just let the shit go. You never know, maybe one day that asshole trooper may do you a favor in return.

You never burn bridges especially with State Troopers. Maybe some day you guys can laugh it over with a beer.
Thats good advice... thanks

·
Registered
107 Posts
I'm sure most non-riders can't appreciate the unease they cause by riding closely behind a motorcyclist. They assume a rider is perfectly comfortable with a 2 ton wrecking ball 10 ft. behind them because they are perfectly comfortable with a car following them that closely. Fools.

Glad to hear you didn't get any tickets.

·
Sport Tourer
1,729 Posts
MaxOwner said:

+1. That's the best way to look at it, from any standpoint.

·
Registered
16 Posts
i would have been royally pissed. i don't care whose friend he is, that's no reason to endanger your life and harassas you into speed. i sure as hell would have told him that and if he didn't apoligize and admit he was wrong, i'd goto the station and ask to speak to his boss.

i've had a cop ride right up on my ass, but it was at 10mph. i wasn't happy for other reasons (he was after another rider in our group) and i didn't go up to him and complain (didn't get a chance to really). at 50+ mph, that's down right stupid, especially for a cop to do. they're suppost to set an example, not go around road raging.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Had a similiar incident, way back in 1988. Was 17, and driving home from the gym. Came to a 4-way stop sign and nothing was coming, so I did a very slow 1-2 mph drift through (my bad). Anyways, about a mile up the road a car comes flying right up on my bumper, and started following me. He starts flashing his lights at me (Just regular headlights), still right on my ass (Maybe 4 feet). I start to get freaked out, and I'm going down this backwoods country road about 45 mph. He won't let up, and I'm thinking there's some kind of maniac starting shit with me, so I speed up to about 65 mph on a torn up shit road. I put about 30' between us, and then he hits the roof lights and I realized it was a cop.
I instantly pulled over and told the guy he scared the shit outta me, and asked why he didn't use the roof lights to begin with. He didn't answer and just said that if I'd have run much longer, he'd be taking my ass to jail. Then he handed me a ticket, which I had to hide from my dad. Hey, thanks, buddy :mad:

·
Banned
1,003 Posts
If you do nothing, say nothing, report nothing - REGARDLESS if you are "ok now and should just let it go", you do nothing to protect this from happening to you or someone else in the future. If you don't report such inappropriate nonsense to the appropriate city officials, it will continue to go unchecked.

The trooper violated several laws in his actions. Frankly, he should be reprimanded and fined. You should report this incident so that continue abuse does not continue in this district. Taking the "stick your head in the sand and forget it happened" approach is absurd.

·
Registered
983 Posts
I agree, SOME cops are fucking useless meathead pieces of shit, but still......you are better keeping it cool.

·
how bout dem deadskins
3,235 Posts
im sure you've heard this before but FTP!!!!!!!!!!catch me if you can :flipa :headbang

·
Registered
983 Posts
I just remembered a funny incident.

I was heading home in my cage after bowling. I live up on a hill and to get there you have to go through a couple of miles of curvy roads through a residential area were the speed limit is 30. It was around 1:30 AM, roads clear and I'm doing about 40MPH, turn left off the main road and start heading up my street. As soon as I make a left I check my mirror and see there's a car creeping behind me (10Ft away and getting closer) with its lights off! My initial reaction is, "what the fuck!?!" I thought someone was trying to follow me home trying to rob me. At this point, I down shift and take another look before stepping on the gas. Take a double take and relalize it's a police car. At this point he realizes I noticed him and turns on the lights but not the sirens since its a quiet neighborhood and late. I pull over right away and as he walks up to my window I told him. What was that?! you scared the shit out of me. He then proceeds to ask me how fast I was doing, blah blah blah. I tell him 40, he says bullshit. He claimed he was flooring it trying to catch up to me, I said well....you must have been pretty far away cuz I was only doing 40. (keep in mind I admitted doing 40)
He then pauses and says, " at the speed I was going to catch up to you, if you were doing 40 I would have ran into the back your car". BS
Goes back to the squad car with my license, comes back a few minutes later, gives me my stuff back and tells me to slow it down a little and lets me go.

Are cops allowed to creep on a car like that without any lights on?

·
Registered
457 Posts
TheWraith said:
The trooper violated several laws in his actions. Frankly, he should be reprimanded and fined. You should report this incident so that continue abuse does not continue in this district. Taking the "stick your head in the sand and forget it happened" approach is absurd.
I understand your point of view, however who do you think his supervisor is going to believe? him or you. You complain it goes into a file and goes no where. Unless its a sign of continous physical abuse or unnecessary roughness, Internal Affairs will not get involved.

They will easily say that he should have pulled over and let the car pass once they started travelling speeds above the speed limit. Its a dead issue, his best bet is to let it go.

He files a complaint and "The Code Blue" he will have every State Trooper and Local Police in his area looking out for him and fuckign with him. Trust me i took Justice and Law Administration in College.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Remember people, LEO are human beings, they are not Rhode Schollars from MIT or Yale. They have feelings and emotions just like you, they make mistakes and they also do dumb things. Don't expect every LEO to be perfect or do the right thing. The best thing to do is evalute every situation you have with an LEO and make a sound judgement on what is in your best interest.

In Stephen's case his best interest was to "yes sir, no sir" instead of "are you fuckign stupid, you could have killed me back there". Most of us get into more trouble than we need to because we decide that its "our right" to tell the LEO how we feel and how they should be acting.

That solves nothing, it just puts you into more trouble and more headace down the road. What do YOU want? LEO's fuckign with you? or saying nah that kid is cool, he is a good kid he has respect.. let him go?

·
Banned
245 Posts
you should have tossed ball bearings at his windshield

oh wait, thats another thread.

If it was me, and the guy was really starting to put me down. Id find a witness at the gas station, and witness whats going on. While i tell the officer to call his supervisor to come to the scene or i'll call the local police.

Its one thing for a cop in a "cop" vehicle is tail gating me, but when its a civilian vehicle tailing my ass its a different story.

You do the same thing in your cage if you suspect its not a real cop, or tell the cop your driving to the police station and handle the matter there.

·
Premium Member
20,922 Posts
This kind of activity is total BS! Highly unprofessional and unethical!
You should report this activity and not be cynical about the results.
Citizen complaints are taken very seriously in the majority of juristictions
and patterns of abuse are strickly monitored.
That is how you get these a$$holes off the job! They are a disgrace. Believe me...

But seriously, they're not all bad. Check this thread- http://www.sportbikes.net/forums/showthread.php?t=2681

Don't bash all cops, or any profession, because of a few bad apples. That is closed-minded and ignorant.

Example-
'I had an Asian masseuse once that didn't give me happy endings! FTAM!'

·
Premium Member
20,922 Posts
fierospeeder said:
If it was me, and the guy was really starting to put me down. Id find a witness at the gas station, and witness whats going on. While i tell the officer to call his supervisor to come to the scene or i'll call the local police.

You do the same thing in your cage if you suspect its not a real cop, or tell the cop your driving to the police station and handle the matter there.
+1!
I always post up a +1 when I agree with fiero... Wait, this might be the first!
Good post fiero, that's exactly what should be done!

1 - 20 of 87 Posts