Sport Bikes banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a SS1100 helmet which I really like, but I want it to be a d-ring helmet. Right now its a speed strap which is how they come. If you don't no what that is it looks like this instead of having d-rings.

The black strip goes into the red cover and its like a zip tie. So you pull the red cord and it lets go of the 'zip tie'.
It's nice and all but I want a d-ring helmet so does anyone no if I can take it someplace that they convert it into one and its still going to be safe or do I have to buy a new helmet?

·
Registered
178 Posts
Cutting off the plastic buckles and sewing D-rings onto the existing webbing shouldn't be that difficult. Prior to that you would want to verify there is enough webbing to loop through the D-rings and have a couple inches of "tail" left over.

Also I'm sure any modification to the structure or retention of a helmet would void the warranty and any safety certifications it has. That may or may not be a big deal.

·
Registered
8,142 Posts
If you do end up doing this, would you consider sending me your speed straps. I'd pay you, of course. I have a helmet that I want to convert from d rings to speed straps.

I was looking around on the internet and couldn't find just the speed straps for sale anywhere.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Personally, I wouldn't trust my own skills to successfully be able to do something like this. When it comes time to crash test your lid, it would truly suck to find out your sewing job was subpar.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts