Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
KH, Rest In Peace Brother
20,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hell never thought I would be starting a post here but here goes:

A new DUI law will go into effect Jan.1, 2006 in Tennessee.
People convicted of DUI will have to wear large orange traffic vests while cleaning up trash along the roadways. On the back of the traffic vests will be the words "I am a DRUNK DRIVER". Law makers feel the shame factor will deter people from drunk driving.

·
Show them to me...
5,983 Posts
I am all for seeing how it works.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Good law. I might not be the most law abiding citizen but some things need harsh punishments, like drunk driving. It's pretty sick when we have people getting DUIs for the 6th and 7th time. Its a shame we can't just put people to sleep. Untill then, we can make them pick up trash with an orange vest.

·
Super Moderator
18,633 Posts
OFFICER737 said:
Hell never thought I would be starting a post here but here goes:

A new DUI law will go into effect Jan.1, 2006 in Tennessee.
People convicted of DUI will have to wear large orange traffic vests while cleaning up trash along the roadways. On the back of the traffic vests will be the words "I am a DRUNK DRIVER". Law makers feel the shame factor will deter people from drunk driving.
I love this idea, but I doubt the law will stick...It's too "un-PC"...The first person to wear it will sue for millions and win because his feelings were hurt :(

You'll also get backlash from people claiming discrimination against DD's....

--Why not rapist?
--Why not druggies?
--Why not wife beaters?
--Why not murderers?

This list is endless...PC almost always wins...

You get what I'm saying...

·
Super Moderator
9,239 Posts
Can we throw empty McDonalds cups at them while they are picking up the other empty McDonalds cups in the ditch?

How about making them wear shock collars that give them a shock every time they take another drink of alcohol. It works for barking dogs, why won't it work for drunk drivers?

Whatever it takes to stop the drunk drivers is fair game in my eyes.

·
20,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
L8 Braker said:
I love this idea, but I doubt the law will stick...It's too "un-PC"...The first person to wear it will sue for millions and win because his feelings were hurt :(

Probably right on that. With the way the judicial system is would probably be 2 years before we see the first time it will be used.

·
20,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
GixxerJRG said:
Its a step in the right direction. This country has the most lenient laws on DUI and thats why you see so many repeat offenders.

I have arrested people that have had as many as 14 DUIs on their record.

·
The Ugly TwatWaffle
8,369 Posts
Sorta like in OH where if you get a DUI they give you a special license plate that's yellow so people on the road will know you got one. Tho the orange jumpsuit picking up trash idea should work as well haha

·
20,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
TN. can snatch a license at anytime with a strong enough case. People still drive after having their license suspended/revoked.

·
retired from here
4,122 Posts
Something needs to be done. Hell I got picked up years ago for a unpaid ticket. One of the guys in lock up had been picked up for dwi and was yelling at his lawyer on the phone to come get his ass out of jail as he had a couple of more parties to go to. I thought that was cool cause her he was in jail for dwi and he wanted out to to and get another in the same night. I think he said he had gotten 6 or 8 dwi's in the past year.

·
Registered
530 Posts
I think its a great idea. Humility is lacking in todays society. The only problem is the law will be around til the first politician gets busted.

·
Registered
5,025 Posts
Won't work

The only 2 things to stop a person from drinking and driving is for that person to stop drinking or be sent to jail long enough for the desire to drink to go away.

Been there done that know all about it.

·
Registered
483 Posts
that is the public shaming method... it works for Japan, so why not try it in the US and Canada. Make people realize that their actions have consequences in their community, and so that their peers will look down on them to force them back into societal norms. Native peoples use this method too with shaming and healing circles.

Its like a kid... you have to show them what they did wrong and show how their actions can damage their everyday life and personal interactions...

Or if you don't like that... how about like putting a dogs nose in a pile of its own shit after it dumps all over your expensive new carpet, you have to show IMMEDIATE consequences to the undesired actions.

its all good.

·
retired from here
4,122 Posts
matt365 said:
that is the public shaming method... it works for Japan, so why not try it in the US and Canada. Make people realize that their actions have consequences in their community, and so that their peers will look down on them to force them back into societal norms. Native peoples use this method too with shaming and healing circles.

Its like a kid... you have to show them what they did wrong and show how their actions can damage their everyday life and personal interactions...

Or if you don't like that... how about like putting a dogs nose in a pile of its own shit after it dumps all over your expensive new carpet, you have to show IMMEDIATE consequences to the undesired actions.

its all good.
The culture in Japan is different than it is in the US and Canada and that is why it woks there but wil fall flat here. Ask TM about the differences. Hell I have know people in the past that would wear the orange jump vest with pride as to their accomplishments.

·
Habitual line-stepper
11,594 Posts
Yeah- i like it. In ohio, the yellow (thought it was orange, but whatever) plate thing is great. In Michigan, you just have to put a DARE sticker on your bumper.

Both of my girlfriends stepbrothers have done jail time for DUI's. They both have 2. One of them is under 21. A good friend of ours was almost killed by a drunk driver. Shattered her leg, hip, and left arm. She's doing well now, though. Aside from the scars (which are surprisingly minimal) and her firm belief in god, you'd never know.

I still think we should just fucking kill them. I have no sympathy for that shit. It's like taking a loaded gun and firing it into a crowded room blindfolded. You never know when you're gonna kill someone. I believe it should always be treated as attempted murder.

My $.02

·
Registered
483 Posts
It can work for petty crime/ less serious criminal activity, but being a drunk is like having a disease, and it would be hard to stop no matter what, so I see the point there. I like the licence plate idea, so at least you could avoid drunks as long as you pay attention. Can't hurt to give it a try though?

·
Registered
483 Posts
kevinwilly said:
A good friend of ours was almost killed by a drunk driver. Shattered her leg, hip, and left arm. She's doing well now, though. Aside from the scars (which are surprisingly minimal) and her firm belief in god, you'd never know.

I think we all have stories like this.:(

I had a buddy in HighSchool who got killed by a drunk driver. He was the passenger in his dads car when a drunk crossed into their lane, my buddies dad pulled into the oncoming lane to avoid a collision and at the last second the drunk pulled back in striking the passenger side door killing my friend...

One of my buddies aunts was killed at a crosswalk when a drunk struck her at 40+ mph. She was thrown down the street and the driver just sped off... He got arrested at his home later that night because there was too much evidence of blood on his car and damage from the impact. My buddies aunt was nearly unrecognizable.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts