Sport Bikes banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
7,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My phone is OK but if I'm somewhere with bad/no data signal, it can be frustrating. It also drains the hell out of the battery (data+bluetooth). I don't need anything fancy, just something to throw in a tank bag for turn-by-turn directions for when I'm in the general area. Is there anything worth buying used for $50 or less? I would probably need it only once a quarter, if that, so I don't know if it would be worth it to buy one or just stick with my phone.

·
Super Moderator
18,634 Posts
Google maps app (nothing more accurate on this planet). That and make sure you don't have 20 other apps open at the same time that are draining the battery. And buy the phone case that's also a battery and only use it when you go for rides.

All in all it'll be less expensive than a whole new unit.

·
Banned
7,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's what I use now, and love it. I still prefer having an alternative option for data/battery reasons. If you're in rural parts, you don't have data. If I'm riding in areas I need GPS, odds are battery life will also be an issue.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
i have an off line navigation app for my nexus 7 and a waterproof tablet pouch from walmart for $6.00. It seems to work great so far.

you can always get a good garmin gps with lifetime map updates and bluetooth it to your bluetooth helmet headset. use a ziplock bag for when it rains to make it waterproof.

·
Super Moderator
18,634 Posts
If you're set on getting a stand alone GPS unit, check Craigslist. They'll be obsolete soon and you can probably find a brand new one for under $50. Also watch for sales at Best Buy.

·
Premium Member
9,239 Posts
Garmin 2610 or 2720 are good discontinued units that can be found pretty cheap on eBay. The nice thing is they're both waterproof, which most phones are not. By the time you buy a Ram mount for it you will be over the $50 mark, but I feel it's well worth it. Having a GPS unit on a bike is a great investment.

·
OO=[][]=OO
7,410 Posts
is there a fuse in there? ive been thinking o hard wiring something like that.
I hadnt even thought abou that. There's an inline fuse on the charge harness. It think it may be a bit high (7.5A) if you goal is protecting the phone, probably swap it out for a 3 amp if you only use the tender in the winter.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts