Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
Go Yahama! Go faster blue.
Wing-ding ding ding!

In H-D's favor, since some parts from a 1903 Harley are interchangeable with a 2013 Harly, repairs are cheap.

Reactions: Technomancer

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
Go Yahama! Go faster blue.
Wing-ding ding ding!

In H-D's favor, since some parts from a 1903 Harley are interchangeable with a 2013 Harly, repairs are cheap.
Unless you have a Harley dealer do the work, then it's the most expensive bike to work on.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Pit Bike Legend
3,339 Posts
Cue the needless and ignorant Harley bashing hordes!

Come on guys, haven't we wasted enough bandwidth with this BS already. We're all on 2 wheels enjoying the joys of motorcycles. I hate cruisers and dont enjoy anything about riding them, but nobody is forcing me to buy or ride one either. If someone else is happy wasting their money on that junk more power to em.

·
You are here
3,535 Posts
Kind of a knock on HD motorcycles, since most of the technology used is from WW2 and is stone simple. I'd expect something technologically complex to have issues.

That said, if Harley owners like to call design flaws "character" and want to pay top dollar for a machine that specializes in slowly turning gasoline to noise, who am I to argue. Like the man said, we're all bikers.

Besides, at least Harleys look good. Those adventure bikes on the other hand...

·
Silent pipes take lives
12,981 Posts
In reality, Harley's warranty accruals per vehicle amount to about 1%, which is incredibly low. As compared to Volkswagen, which tends to hover between 5%-6%, but on par with Honda, which also remains around 1%. Most automotive manufacturers are around 2.5%-3%.

·
Silent pipes take lives
12,981 Posts
Kind of a knock on HD motorcycles, since most of the technology used is from WW2 and is stone simple.
Like the closed loop fuel injection, ABS, and hydraulic valves that don't need to be adjusted?

Reactions: PhilB

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Kind of a knock on HD motorcycles, since most of the technology used is from WW2 and is stone simple. I'd expect something technologically complex to have issues.

That said, if Harley owners like to call design flaws "character" and want to pay top dollar for a machine that specializes in slowly turning gasoline to noise, who am I to argue. Like the man said, we're all bikers.

Besides, at least Harleys look good. Those adventure bikes on the other hand...
Yeah, technology sucks and is much more unreliable than the good old days. We should all get rid of the internet, cell phones, lasers (surgery, manufacturing, etc), satellites, color tv, etc and get back to the good ole switchboard operators, print newspapers where you find out world news weeks late and that is if you are lucky, b&w tv, model t fords, harleys and all the other great things back in the day. Heck we all know carburetors work great and never need rejetted when riding down a mountain to a low altitude and so on.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
In reality, Harley's warranty accruals per vehicle amount to about 1%, which is incredibly low. As compared to Volkswagen, which tends to hover between 5%-6%, but on par with Honda, which also remains around 1%. Most automotive manufacturers are around 2.5%-3%.
Youre forgetting to account that only a quarter of harleys are ridden more than a thousand miles a year.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Had a Honda in the eighties that had all that except the ABS, which I don't want anyway. I can see why Hardley riders would want ABS though.
Kawasaki had the GPZ750 turbo that was fuel injected as well back then. Hydraulic lifters not hydraulic valves have been around for more than 3 decades, so hardly new tech and not even the best tech either.

·
Silent pipes take lives
12,981 Posts
Youre forgetting to account that only a quarter of harleys are ridden more than a thousand miles a year.
Incorrect. Average for Harleys is closer to the 4,000-6,000 miles per year range. Even sportbikes average between 2,000-3,000 miles per year.

Not to mention their longer warranty, which increases costs, and they're still at 1% with more miles ridden and a longer support period (until only very recently).

·
Silent pipes take lives
12,981 Posts
Had a Honda in the eighties that had all that except the ABS, which I don't want anyway. I can see why Hardley riders would want ABS though.
Which Honda model, specifically, had closed loop fuel injection and hydraulic valves in the 1980s? Did it also have an electronic throttle?

·
Silent pipes take lives
12,981 Posts
Kawasaki had the GPZ750 turbo that was fuel injected as well back then. Hydraulic lifters not hydraulic valves have been around for more than 3 decades, so hardly new tech and not even the best tech either.
I'm pretty sure that the GPZ750 turbo did not have closed loop fuel injection. Fuel injection has been around since the 1920s, so not exactly high tech. Closed loop is the more advanced form, which is relatively recent and actually knows how well it is working at any given time.

Reactions: jeffo8

·
Silent pipes take lives
12,981 Posts
Harleys are heavy and slow. That does not mean "low tech". Or, to be more accurate, being light and fast does not mean "high tech". OHC pre-dates OHV, but both are ancient. Chains are older tech than belts. Otto-cycle gasoline-burning internal combustion engines are over a century old, as are tappet valves. Oiling is pretty much the same on all bikes. Tires aren't magically different between the types, just designed for the intended purpose. Bearings are the same (for the most part), the gear-boxes use the same simple dog design without synchros, and the brakes still just use pistons to push fluids through tubes. Clutches are effectively the same design, with not much in the way of variability. Harley had LED headlights pretty much first. Water cooling isn't high tech, just a necessity for high performance. Only BMW and Harley offer ABS on all models (BMW was first). How are the 6.5" have systems coming along on Sportbike dashes? Oh, right, they don't have them. And so on...

Again, Harleys are heavy and slow. But heavy and slow doesn't mean low tech. They're using all of the same tech as other manufacturers, they're just better at hiding it (instead of leaving wires and relays hanging out for the world to see).

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,894 Posts
Yeah, that's why they still use engines and transmissions in different cases that require a primary transmission no one else is using anymore. Their designs are really nothing but updated old designs, that is why they had trouble with oiling, heat management and durability...

Or are you going to argue the twin cam is the best engine ever? The Indian 111 Thunderstroke, that is an engine that keeps the old school look while integrating all the advantages of a new engine, you know, like being durable, heat management, or having the "undesirable" side effect known as "horsepower". All while even the new water cooled Harleys keep the ridiculously tiny cam chain tensioners, or the ridiculous primary drive chain tensioner.

You can spend DAYS watching videos about the cam chain tensioners:

Or how to adjust the "primary chain" (the last of the primary chain driven Japanese transmissions didn't need an adjustment in the primary chain, actually, they did away with primary chain adjustments since the late 60s and early 70s)

Heck, not even the new Royal Enfields with the UCE need to have the primary chain adjusted...

Don't be delusional, weight does have to do with technology. A lighter and more balanced engine is more efficient and doesn't require so many vibration dampers, sportbikes have engines that are solid mounted to the frames and don't see sportbikes vibrating parts off at stopights. Sportbikes also have frames that have been carefully designed to be as light as possible, resulting in frames that can handle 120hp engines while weighting less than a HD swngarm. That refined engine and strong but light frame are the result of technology.

And what is the merit of being able to "hide" a navigation unit in a humongous fairing? Or the "hidden" radiators in the crashbars?

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Susser--

lets compare the Yamaha 1900cc twin or VTX1800 or the Vulcan 2000 twin to a Harley atleast then you are being realistic.
Two ginornous pistons obviously weigh more than 4 tiny pistons with half the total displacement or less, thus the crank needs to weigh more, then consider the firing of only 2 bangs vs 4 etc....

I am not a Harley fan by any means-they are far overpriced for what they are and don't even give you the benefit of turning fuel into power, rather it is fuel into noise for the most part. It is a lifestyle and a choice that some/many want-thus so many imitators by the jap 4.

Oh and I have had a couple HD's-they will run about 120 before they start to wobble or shake too bad, so I wouldn't say they are actually slow. The national speed limit is 70 ya know.

1 - 20 of 90 Posts