Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've been considering getting out of riding. It's statistically dangerous, inconvenient for me, and expensive. I remember not long ago I'd be riding down an empty 2 lane road with the sun shining and the growl of the triple as the soundtrack. I thought there's nothing else I'd rather be doing. Now I'm just not so sure anymore. The last time I rode was at the track October 25th and I didn't ride for a couple weeks before that either. I just haven't had the itch to get out. This time last year I was so excited to go home, I'd be able to hop on my EX500 over thanksgiving break. I just don't feel like I have the itch anymore. I'm trying to decide if I'd be just as happy with an entry level sporty roadster like a Miata or an FC RX7 convertible (yes I'm well aware of quirks with the rotary.) Originally I was going to buy a Miata over a bike. The power/weight ratio of the bike won me over. Now I'm realizing how dangerous the hobby really is. I know 5 people that went down this year. Two were ok, two are hurt pretty bad and one was killed. The guys I usually ride with.... We ride fast through the back roads. I feel it's just a matter of time before I wipe out. I'm young, I have a seemingly promising future, I'd hate to end up with a life altering injury because of a motorcycle. What do you guys think? Do you think my love for two wheels will come back? Or do you think being out in the open in a roadster would do the job just as well?
My dad had a 95 miata for a while. I have nothing but great memories in that car. I can't tell if I like being out in the open or raw acceleration more. In the twisties, I find myself going a relatively constant speed. I don't brake hard for corners and I don't accelerate out hard, I just stay nice and smooth. I could the same thing in a Miata I feel like.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
The only way to know for sure if you'll miss it is to sell the bike. Or maybe you should just ride track only since it's way less dangerous. Plenty of guys do it. You'll save money on insurance, but the speed probably isn't the best bike for the job. Sell it and buy an already track built ninja 250. Or maybe you should just wait until you graduate and you have the self control to not push it on public roads. I'm guilty of it myself but I accept the risks, even after a few nasty spills

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
Yeah, do what you like. If you're nervous and not having fun, then maybe you should step away for a while, doesn't mean it's forever.

When I wrecked and totaled my FZ1 thanks to an old man in a Prius, I remember standing in the parking lot of my insurance company with a $10,000 check in my hand having this same debate in my head. Less than a week later I was riding my new Aprilia Tuono. I knew the risks, I just came face to face with them while skidding down the road. But I decided it was worth it, because I LOVE RIDING.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I need to steal a miata for a test drive and see if it's all that. I can't afford the track. It's too expensive. Tires, gear, entry fees, etc. It's way too much.

·
After Me Lucky Charms
5,281 Posts
Best thing to do, is keep the bike till spring. If you have the itch to get on it, ride it a little while, if you no longer find it exciting, sell it.

I have seen many people sell their bike, then regret it.

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
I'll buy that triumph.

I ain't even kidding.

Truth though?

A miata will leave you wanting after riding a speed triple. I've been in miatas and I've driven them. they are good right as you turn in and the car is on rails, and right before you hit the apex.

everything else. . .they are lackluster. or they feel it after being on a sportbike anyway. they have less than 200hp. in some cases. . .LOTS less. they are just. . .gutless. tossing them around the corners is fun, but don't think it'll be much mroe practical than a bike. my VFR with full luggage likely has more storage capacity.

that being said, You don't even need to ask any further. I read your paragraph. to me, you sound finished with it. When i compare myself with that paragraph, it's just all backwards. I put the bike away Nov.7th or so this year, and I was already wanting to ride the next day. life is just dull without it. even getting laid doesn't help :lol

I had a friend who said "There are riders, and there are people who ride motorcycles".

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I used to be a rider. I just can't tell if my "mood" is temporary and I'll snap out of it. I suppose the best idea is to just wait. I've been kinda down in the dumps lately, that could be a reason for why I feel like I do. I used to be so excited to ride. I'd love every second of it. Whenever I'm on the bike, I always like it. I'd have a giant ass smile inside my helmet. Maybe if it's nice I can force myself to take a ride and I'll restart the fire.

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
don't force yourself to ride.

just wait.

see if the itch comes back. if it doesn't, you have your answer, if it does, you still do. If you force yourself to do something you once liked but don't currently, it can go backwards.

Reactions: mangosmoothie16

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
People's hobbies and likes change. I ride my Harley more than my Ninja now and I NEVER thought I'd ride a cruiser. If it is not making you happy, find what does. The journey and searching is half the fun

·
Registered
6,406 Posts
The only way to know for sure if you'll miss it is to sell the bike. Or maybe you should just ride track only since it's way less dangerous. Plenty of guys do it. You'll save money on insurance, but the speed probably isn't the best bike for the job. Sell it and buy an already track built ninja 250. Or maybe you should just wait until you graduate and you have the self control to not push it on public roads. I'm guilty of it myself but I accept the risks, even after a few nasty spills
yeah that's an irrational myth, you got real good odds of crashing at the track, more so than at a leasure street pace cause you're riding alot harder and faster. It happens literally all the time and people get seriously hurt. Bikes are dangerous no matter what. and you definitely won't save money just doing trackdays.

If I were you I would get a supermoto, its slow and nimble, great on gas and can be ridden at both full tracks and $25/day kart tracks. And it doubles as a dirty bike if you want to get into that.

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
yeah that's an irrational myth, you got real good odds of crashing at the track, more so than at a leasure street pace cause you're riding alot harder and faster. It happens literally all the time and people get seriously hurt. Bikes are dangerous no matter what. and you definitely won't save money just doing trackdays.

If I were you I would get a supermoto, its slow and nimble, great on gas and can be ridden at both full tracks and $25/day kart tracks. And it doubles as a dirty bike if you want to get into that.
I wouldn't say it's irrational, and I wouldn't say it's entirely a myth. I am sure that deaths by percentage on the track vs on the street are much lower.
serious injuries too most likely.

But crashes overall, I can see being similar. Just from people pushing on a track vs not pushing on the street (this is assuming some modicum of sanity from the riders).

Reactions: mangosmoothie16

·
Registered
507 Posts
Nothing wrong with leaving motorcycles behind, then coming back to them later if you want. I cycle in and out of hobbies, and will continue to do so.

Bikes are dangerous, but proper training, gear, and mindset will mitigate most of that risk. But cars are still safer overall in most situations, especially ones where your mindset is lacking.

- John

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I've always wanted a supermoto, maybe now is a good time to make the switch. Although I've read DRZ's have some quirks. Are they stout like a legit dirt bike?

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
One way to find out is to get rid of your bike. If you can't get over it, then you know you made a mistake.

I've been there, questioning my love for riding. Then I went bikeless and was miserable the entire time. Bought another bike and have had those same thoughts run through my head. Now I know what will happen if I sell it, I'll miss it the entire time.

TLDR: been there, sold my bike, regretted it, will never be bikeless again.

·
Registered
517 Posts
I went down pretty bad last year so I bought a Miata and sold most of my bikes. I kept one bike so that I can go for a ride every once in a while.

Re Miata: I have the NC, which has 167HP. But it still feels under powered, especially when compared to a sport bike. Since you live in a free state, header/exhaust/supercharger are relatively cheap and simple bolt-on options to make it go fast.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
If you are really worried about wiping out....quit for a while. Confidence is important. I quit the last time about this time of the year in '08. I broke my arm by running it into a tree sticking out of the side of a truck. You think that sounds weird, think how it felt for me. Anyway, I had a Heart Attack in Feb '12 and spent a week in ICU. MY heart stopped and I wasn't breathing anymore. To me that equals dead. Today, as long as the docs got a brain wave, they are good for go. While I was laying around the ICU, I got to thinking. Fook, I'm gonna die anyway. Why not die doing what I love best....Riding my bike. So I am back.
If money is an issue, you might want to park your bike or put her up on paddock stands, throw a little stabilizer in the tank, pull the battery and air filter. Then when spring comes, slap her together and run her around the block. If you heart doesn't sing, you will get more money for her next spring then you will this winter. :eatsmiley

·
Registered
342 Posts
Will the sports car be a daily or occasional use fun car? Actually either way this time of year you can pick up a decent C4 corvette for about the same money as a miata. I daily my 88 Vette and in braking and cornering it is more fun than my bikes were. It still doesn't quite have as much of a grin factor as my bikes but it is close.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
You were a point and shoot rider. Any sports car is; more expensive (insurance, fuel and tires) more dangerous and slower in the real world. Through traffic, there is not an automobile on this planet that keep up with Adelle (my FZ-6) and I. I can squirt through a 32" gap that will leave any automobile twisted burning wreckage.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts