Sport Bikes banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I'm seriously considering an FZ6 but I'm concerned about the TPS issues and also how well the bike will work for going on longer trips (multiple 500 mile day in a row). I know the stock seat is supposed to be bad for longer trips. How are the engine vibes and wind protection?

I called a couple Yamaha dealers in the area (Denver) and talked to the service departments. They had not had any TPS issues come in, nor had they had any major warranty issues with FZ6

Is the TPS enough of a issue to not buy the bike?

Thanks

·
Ride Naked
3,324 Posts
FZ6Curious said:

I would say no. I've had my bike for about 6,000 miles now. No TPS issues as of yet. Every vehicle has problems. This is ours. Not that big a deal compared to others. Even when it is acting up, it seems that you can still get yourself where you are going, so it's not an end of the world issue. Not all that pricey if you're out of warranty either from what I've read.

As far as the stock seat is concerned, that is something that is easily remedied. For me, I sit further back in the seat, and have never had an issue. I noticed once that if you sit bolt upright, the area of the seat where you wind up IS very uncomfortable. I never sit that way, and I've never had any problems with seat comfort.

I think the FZ would be perfect for what you want. Take a ride on one and I think you'll be sold.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
I think the TPS problem is a hit or miss issue. Some have it & some don't, but I haven't heard much of it on '05s that I recall.
Honestly this bike is fine for touring ..... I went to FL on the stock seat. Granted I just ordered a Corbin so that tells ya somethin too :lol
Of course the bike has it's little qwerks but that's the same with any bike you get. None of them are any issues you need to worry about though .... just little interesting things that happen :rolleyes
Some of us put a good amount of miles on already, I've yet to have any problems. Since the engine is off the R6 you know it's a proven engine, take care of it and it'll last.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
I wouldnt let the potential TPS problem deter you from your choice. It seems when you step back and look at it that not all that many people who post on this forum have had it happen to them. There was a thread a while back that had people post in a poll if they had the TPS problem and I think less then ten people said they had it. Sorry if it sounds like im ignoring the people that have had the TPS problem, but I think that it got blown a little out of hand.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
crx81 said:
Even when it is acting up, it seems that you can still get yourself where you are going, so it's not an end of the world issue. Not all that pricey if you're out of warranty either from what I've read.
This is what I've been thinking after reading all the reports on this site.

Has anyone been stranded because of the TPS issue?

I saw the the TPS part is around $100-120, does anyone know how much the labor is to replace it?

Thanks

·
Registered
251 Posts
In my experience with my bike's TPS problem, it hasn't been a show stopper...just a big annoyance. Luckily, it's in the shop getting fixed for good (hopefully) right now.

I think the FZ6 makes a fine touring bike...I've been slowly getting up to speed with pulling off a long distance run, complete with camping gear and stuff. About the only thing left to get is some saddlebags.

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
I love my FZ6 just because it can function well in so many different roles. I'm not a hard core rider in any specific way by any means, but I enjoy riding it like a sport when the roads are free, it's comfortable and fun around the city in traffic, and I've gone hours on the stock seat with only minor buttular discomfort which can mostly be attributed to my bony ass. Car seats make my ass hurt, too.

It definately doesn't hurt to stand apart from the crowd a bit on this bike either, supersport riders and cruiser riders turn their heads in equal interest I've found and on the city streets I've never had any problem showing them my rear end either. ;)

·
Registered
1 Posts
i'm in the same boat as FZ6curious...i have been considering the Kawi z750s, but i really like the FZ6. i'm looking for something thats an inline 4, FI, "standard", that can tour well, with decent wind protection, and good aftermarket support...the salesman at the dealership by me heard all this, pointed at SV650, then walked away and anwsered his cell phone :ar . i will NOT be going back to FL motorsports. do you guys have nay comments about the z750s vs FZ6????

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
AHooliganX said:
do you guys have nay comments about the z750s vs FZ6????
Yeah, you have to take the windscreen off to clean under it. :rolleyes
They gave you a nice hinge on the tank to lift it up but no prop bar :bitchslap
And .... uhm ..... that's about it really.

·
Ride Naked
3,324 Posts
greatzippy said:
Yeah, you have to take the windscreen off to clean under it. :rolleyes
Yes, that IS a pain. I'm still holding out, hoping beyond hope, that SOMEONE will start producing one that's tinted but stock size so that you can't see in that area. The blue Puig would be perfect if it were a stock sized screen... at least on the faster blue bikes. :lol

·
Registered
128 Posts
crx81 said:
Yes, that IS a pain. I'm still holding out, hoping beyond hope, that SOMEONE will start producing one that's tinted but stock size so that you can't see in that area.
Me too... let me know if you find one :lao

·
Registered
157 Posts
FZ6Curious said:
Hello,
Thanks
No, (knock on wood) I haven't had a TPS problem. I have just about 12,000 mi.

It has touring potential. I added a gel seat, which allows more hours in long trips. I have considered chaging the bars to a flatter bar.

I planning on a 1600 mile (14 days) trip. I'll update later.

·
Registered
157 Posts
AHooliganX said:
i'm in the same boat as FZ6curious...i have been considering the Kawi z750s, but i really like the FZ6. i'm looking for something thats an inline 4, FI, "standard", that can tour well, with decent wind protection, and good aftermarket support...the salesman at the dealership by me heard all this, pointed at SV650, then walked away and anwsered his cell phone :ar . i will NOT be going back to FL motorsports. do you guys have nay comments about the z750s vs FZ6????
I'm curious of the new Kawi too. I'd love 750cc on the FZ6. I've read that the Kawi engine is a sleeved version of the ZRX1200R. Kawi makes good bikes although usually not as reliable as Yamaha or Honda.
It felt comfortable when I sat on one.

·
Registered
128 Posts
AHooliganX said:
the salesman at the dealership by me heard all this, pointed at SV650, then walked away and anwsered his cell phone :ar
The salesman at north hollywood powersports did that too... "here's your SV650, have a nice day." Needless to say I didn't get my fz6 from them :urowned

·
Registered
109 Posts
I was concerned about these issues as well, but I am an alert bike owner, and will keep my eyes on things.
BTW- I just bought my 2005 FZ6 from DORON at Twin Peaks in Longmont. He is an AWESOME rider, and an honest salesman. I've ridden with him before, on tours of Colorado (back when Motoranch was still in business, renting sportbikes like the Aprilia Falco, and the CBR600f4i) I couldn't imagine a better experience. If you are in the denver area call him. Although I think that at this point finding FZ6's is going to be getting harder and harder.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Gand said:
The salesman at north hollywood powersports did that too... "here's your SV650, have a nice day." Needless to say I didn't get my fz6 from them :urowned
When I bought my first bike (a brand new bandit 600) the kid that handed me the keys opened up the gas tank to check that they had filled me up, looked in, said "you are all set" and gave me the keys. That was it.

Then about 10 miles down the road, on a major highway in the left lane with no shoulder I ran out of gas. :rolleyes

·
Registered
6,267 Posts
FZ6Curious said:
Hello,

I'm seriously considering an FZ6 but I'm concerned about the TPS issues and also how well the bike will work for going on longer trips (multiple 500 mile day in a row). I know the stock seat is supposed to be bad for longer trips. How are the engine vibes and wind protection?

I called a couple Yamaha dealers in the area (Denver) and talked to the service departments. They had not had any TPS issues come in, nor had they had any major warranty issues with FZ6

Thanks

Check out my website and my FZ6. http://cv4.org I tour on it 2-up, both 2 lane backroads and interstate (though interstate riding is boring and I only do it when it saves time.)

I had my seat altered by Sargent seat but that was more for my wife. The passenger section of the stock seat is horrible.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have 6000 miles on my fz6 & no problems at all. As far as touring- it does very well once you get rid of the stock brick! I added a corbin & am looking forward to long hours in the saddle. The fz6 is the swiss army knife of bikes & I've owned 15 in the last 10 years. I also like the Kawi 750 but it doesn't look as cool.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
agreed...
Go for it and get the FZ6.!!!

No reports of 05 bikes w/ the TPS issue yet, and anything you get car/bike etc... all will have their little problems.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts